Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly audibly, but Lacey insists I must be trying deliberately to starve her to death. Some mornings she will follow me around for hours crying for food even though she has plenty of her favorite food(s) in her dish(s) - note the plural. Even if I capitulate and give her something else she will eat a few bites then ask for something else. When we sit, she settles into my lap looking at me longingly then at my slightest move she jumps down, runs a few steps to the kitchen and turns to see if I follow her. If I do happen to follow her she demands more food - something different than what is already there of course.

What's a mom to do??!! If I totally ignore her I risk getting nipped, swatted and accused of starvation when DH comes down. I hear "oh, mommy didn't feed you again??". :fust

This is a rhetorical argument but it is frustrating. I just wish she would eat till her tummy is full. She rarely eats more than 1/4 small can (less than one ounce) at one time. If it's a pate, she will lick it flat in the bowl then wait for me to fluff it up with a fork. I'm well trained, but not quite there yet in her mind. :wink:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
All 3 of mine seem to do this too, it's like form the minute they have a meal, they stare at me and sit in wait for the next one. I feed them 3 meals a day, and I feel like they are getting plenty. They are all VERY healthy, if not a little chunky.

I think it's just a cat thing. You just have to learn to ignore it. This is why it is not good for cats to have an unlimited bowl of dry food left out 24/7, because most of them would eat until they literally popped.

Sounds like your kitty is like most, she has her own set of rules :)

I guess if your kitty is only eating a small amount at a time though, she probably is still hungry, but I know how hard that is when you have other cats, it's really hard to feed one and have the other ones stare at you. I have this problem with Beep, she does not eat her food right away, but then again, she is not out with the boys, so they do not have access to her food ever, so she has the freedom to be a grazer. My boys would eat non stop until they pooped though, and they scarf down every bit in the bowl as soon as you set it down.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rest of the cats are pretty good. They eat until full then go snooze contentedly until the next meal. It's just Lacey that constantly wants to be fed teeny meals. She is quite skinny - always has been, so it's just her constitution and eating habits that drive me nuts. I really do need to resist her.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My 2 are ALWAYS hungry...even after they just ate a small can...its frustrating. They are both nice in size...lil marshall actually gained weight since his giardia episode. Augh

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
That Lacey has you well trained! I think she enjoys all that attention! My Nyska is a little bit like that. She is a very dainty eater, while the others gobble their food in seconds.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Lacey has you well trained! I think she enjoys all that attention! My Nyska is a little bit like that. She is a very dainty eater, while the others gobble their food in seconds.
That is exactly what is going on!! Because I'm home all day it's hard to ignore the begging - scratch that - insisting!! :cussing

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've got every variation.

B.B. takes longer then molasses in January to eat half a dozen chuncks of food or less.

Belle eats a normal sized meal at a normal pace.

Sadie hoovers her meal in record breaking speed, then go around to everyone else's and finish theirs. She hates to see waste LOL

·
Registered
834 Posts
GAH! I feel your pain. My guys used to beg a lot as well and then we went Raw! The change has been dramatic to say the least. Even Mme Coco who is on a diet; because she ended up resembling a small B & W tank, and only gets 3 x 35gm meals a day is satisfied and doesn't seek food between meals. I have to faf around a bit with Wee Lisbeth as she's a snacker and doesn't EVER ask for food, but now that we've got a routine going she's doing ok.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, pkbshrew! I should get my new grinder tomorrow and I've already bought packages of chicken ready to grind!! I REALLY hope they take to the raw diet. I'll take it slow but I'm putting high hopes in this raw thing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The thing I discovered with transitioning to Raw is that you have to outstubborn them! Take it slow and be patient. I mean, they may take to it straight away but then again ....
My biggest challenge was Miss Effie who can't smell food very well. Now however she is TOTALLY hooked on Raw and is even starting to eat some of the chunked meat!!!!! THis is a BIG deal for her. She laps her food up rather than grabbing it with their teeth as the others do and for her to finally understand chunks (not huge bits, but not minced either!) is really neato!
Wee Lisbeth of course, was and continues to be a challenge because she has 'issues' with food. But as I said above, we are doing pretty well .... for now ..... until she decides to go anorexic again .... But, We've been through it a few times now and I have some tricks up my sleeve hehe.
Two things I use to help them if they are not feeling the Raw lerv for whatever reason is to sprinkle a tiny bit of very finely grated Parmesan cheese or some Bonito flakes on the Raw. Often this is all it takes to get them going again. I'm also adding a little chunked beef to their food at the moment as it has a stronger smell than chicken and they are used to eating it.
I got mine eating all Raw, weaning the wet out of the mix slowly, then I started adding in the supplements slowly. This worked for us. I'm looking forward to hearing about your Raw adventures!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It makes sense...depending on what you feed them. Just like humans....if we eat junk (foods with fillers)...we will be hungry all day..but get 3 good nutritious meals a day we are more satisfied.

Is raw more expensive?

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's been interesting working that out. Prior to Raw I was feeding Orijen kibble and that cost between NZ$100-$150 / month. Raw is costing around NZ$100 / month. My Grinder - the Tasin, cost me NZ$400 and if it lasts for around 10 years that brings the cost to just over an additional NZ$3 / month which I think it pretty good.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My boy Scout (who is on a diet) is constantly meows at dinner time - even after I've just put his food down. I've checked with my vet and she's assured me he is getting plenty of food. In fact, he often leaves at least a tablespoon or so of wet behind. He'd just much prefer I give him all dry, it's so tough to break him of that. They know how to work us!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I do grind, but many Raw feeders don't. I prefer to grind and prepare their food using Ann Jablonski's recipe because then I know that I've covered all of the bases nutritionally and yes, I grind whole chickens (human prepped so feathers, head, guts etc removed) because that is the most economical way for me to do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is so funny.

I had issues with a cat who constantly begged. She would eat and eat and still be hungry. It turned out she had an over active thyroid and really WAS hungry.

But that doesn't sound like what is going on with your cat.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sarah anne, I don't think that is what is going on either. I have two elderly cats with thyroid issues that used to have those symptoms - bottomless pits yet lost weight. Lacey is just tiny and skinny and picky. Has been since day one. Her rabies is due in January so I think I will get a full blood panel drawn as a base line. She was a stray before we adopted her and has not had any major health issues except allergies or perhaps herpes related sneezing but I think it's a smart idea to do this just to be sure there is nothing else going on. I really love this little scruffy ball of fur but she drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If it's a pate, she will lick it flat in the bowl then wait for me to fluff it up with a fork.

Had to smile at this one as we do the same type of thing. At the end of Angel's first pass at the bowl, she'll have food all spread out in the bowl, so we go over and scoop it all together again in a nice convenient heap. Then she comes back to finish up.

She's a CKD kittie, but we do feed her a little bit of raw as well because she just loves it so much and is always so excited to eat it. works great to hide her medication in little balls of raw meat. We do the raw as her "appetizer", then give her the wet for her main course. Sometimes, she scarfs down the raw, then turns her nose up at the wet and just waits for more raw. thank goodness she likes the stuff that supposedly has less than 1% phosphorus.

good luck with your raw transition!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woo-hoo! Got the grinder today!! I got it all set up and ground up about 2 pounds of chicken - with bones and added some raw food additives (contains vitamins and minerals). I realized I didn't have any chicken livers so went out to buy some - had to go to 3 stores and could only find them frozen so now I have to wait for them to defrost. Once I get it all mixed up I'll freeze 80% of it and do my first test sample on them tomorrow AM when they are good and hungry. Keep your paws crossed!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good luck!
I freeze a days worth in plastic snaplock bags. I've found they don't eat it as happily if it is more than a day old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts