Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my two year old male cat is not feeling well at all.he's the cuddliest guy and so precious and lately he has not been well.
he got cat flu a few weeks back and he recovered,then he ran away for six days and came back (thank god) with some fur missing around a small wound.he developed fever for the next 5 days and i had no idea that his lethargy wasnt due to recovering from flu,but a fever of 105! he had gotten very lethargic,listless and his appetite decreased,he was still eating when i offered him treats.
the vet gave him three shots of anti biotics and anti-fever.his fever went two days later.he became playful and his appetite increased.during this i noticed his hind legs had gotten a bit weak,he can walk on them but they're just not that strong,they tremble a little when he raises them up to the air to groom them,he cannot contract his hind leg paws without them shaking too.his appetite is fine and he doesnt feel or act feverish,but its been four days since the fever broke and he still has weak legs (i dont think the weakness has gotten worse) today i notices he was limping on his one front leg and not touching it to the ground (he does touch the hind legs) he went to the litter box and can get around but he limps,he's been sitting in the same place almost all day,he gets up to eat and visits the litter box,but he's looking alert.i called the vet and he said to give him vitamin e pills,and to call again in two days. he's a darling and the love of my life,i dont know what to do,any thoughts on what could be wrong???

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
It sounds as if he got in a fight with another cat when he went AWOL for 6 days. It's possible he has another infection from a bite or claw in his paw...is there any swelling or discharge or feel hot? I'm thinking he may be developing an abscess in his paw. The antibiotics tho should be helping that. You could bathe or hold his paw in a pan of warm salt water solution for a few minutes a couple of times a day....that may help draw out any infection if there is one, and it certainly won't harm him. If he his leg worsens tho, take him back to the vet. Good luck!
Normal Saline for Wound Care: Normal saline is used for many medical purposes | Suite101.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.