Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting down watching a movie and let the cats out on the deck. I'm 3 floors up, so I basically think it's safe to let them out there. Moby is too big, and Julia sticks her head through far enough to make my paranoid, but I keep watch on her (look back every 5 minutes or so).

Anyway - I heard a weird scratchy sound and look out and all I could see was Moby, all freaked out. I looked out on the deck for Julia, thinking she must have run inside when I wasn't looking but Moby was freaking. Looking in every corner of the deck like something was out there. So then I started freaking out and looked over one side of the deck half expecting to see Julia's lifeless form - nothing. Other side - nothing. That is until Julia walked out from the ground floor under the deck where I couldn't see her. I rushed down there feeling like I was going to throw up, and when I got there she looked fine. Carried her up to my apartment and she wasn't making an sounds from me touching any part of her. And now after watching her she appears to walk fine, and is very happy. What would make her want to do this??? I'm freaked out half thinking she's suicidal, or that she really doesn't want to live here. She escaped yesterday night when I got home from work too - she bolted as soon as the door opened enough, and I had to go down the hall chasing after her.

Is there anything I should look out for? In case of broken bones? Or personality change?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow, that's surprising she would jump from such a height. How long has she been living there? You're not going to be able to let her out anymore unless you block it off. 3 floors...yikes...and she seems fine? I know cats can jump from high heights but I don't know how high would be too high. I wonder if you should at least call the vet to ask if there's something you should be looking for. If she seems fine though. She's a lucky kitty.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the distance...

I guess the distance is only 1.5 floors. The balconey with the plant is parallel to mine. I'm on the 3rd floor; the first is partially underground. It looks high though! My balconey is almost at the top (4/5) of an old apple tree, and I wouldn't think a cat would jump from that height either.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
This is not the first time I've heard stories like this. She's probably in better shape right now than you are! :wink:

I'd think twice about leaving her unattended on that balcony though. Now that she knows she can do it, she'll be more prone to try that again!

My one cat (the older one) could care less about trying to get out. We could leave the door open all day and she won't leave our apartment. Addison on the other hand bolts out before you can even turn to close the door. Half the time she's out the door and behind my legs before I can even close the door. She's pretty slick. It worries me too. When she goes in to get spayed, I'm going to have her chipped!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
What a scare, Bean! I'm guessing that Julia was allowed outside when your friend had her. I can only imagine how you felt when she was not on the balcony. :( Moby is so smart, letting you know something was very wrong!

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's a big fear of mine, I live on the 3rd floor as well, and let the cats out on the balcony, but none of them have attempted to jump. One almost fell off once, while behaving like an imbecile, but that's a whole other story.... :roll:
Judging from your picture, I'd say she's fine jumping from that height. Cat's are pretty incredible, and their joints are apparantly made to support that type of a jump, so if you felt her over and she seems fine, I wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Julia never was an outside cat! And was allowed out on decks too...

But she has tried stupid stuff before. Walking up the stairs between the railing and the steps. And fallen off. I guess I thought she'd know better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Aweeee Bean, you poor thing. I know I would have had a heart attack in your place. I can just imagine what was going through your mind on your way downstairs to collect her. I'm glad Julia's ok, and don't even THINK she doesn't want to live there anymore. She's just exploring like curious cats do. AddFran's right though, now that she knows she can jump, there's nothing stopping her from doing it again.

I recently moved from an apartment that was 1 1/2 floors up, and my paranoia sent me to Home Depot for some screen and a staple gun. Heck, I just enclosed my balcony myself. Now I'm living on a ground floor apartment, and did my own self-enclosure again. It looks kinda funky, but at least I can let my kitties outside in the sun again, paranoia free

katsprat

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
She probably swatted at a passing butterfly and lost her balance. Lucky there's grass under there; she could have been hurt if it had been concrete!

I learned this lesson the hard way too: One of my cats evidently jumped up on the rail and stepped on a not-securely-attached windowbox. When I came home, there was an upside down window box next to the door, and a strange looking cat huddled up in the corner. It took me a minute to realize it was *my* windowbox and *my* cat! She was so freaked out I didn't even recognize her.

Moral of the story: Balconies *must* be screened in to prevent accidents!

Anyway, Bean, glad she's okay!! But you might want to take some Rescue Remedy yourself!!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was kinda funny when she fell as Moby was so freaked out. When I brought her back up he was still freaked - cautiously inspecting her. And she seems odly content now. More so than usual.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Near-death experiences tend to make cats more appreciative of what they have at home! :)

Isn't it great how beautifully she and Moby have bonded? What a sweet big brother to be worried about her!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Speaking of "Dr. Moby", this is O/T, but I had to share...

I work on the switchboard at a hospital, and there are usually two of us covering the phones. One of my first days there, we had been putting out a lot of pages and beeping doctors left and right, and I get this call, and this is literally how it goes...

Me: "Communications, can I help you?"

Caller: "Hi"

Me: *pause* "Hi"

Caller: "Who's this?"

So I give my name, and he says: "This is Moby."

Me: *longer, more akward pause* "Hi."

Caller: "Did you page me?"

Me: *thinking, 'who the heck are you?!'* "Um....."

It's then that my coworker saves me and asks, with somewhat of a roll in her eyes, "Is that Moby?"

Apparently, one of the doctors never uses his last name or title, just "Moby". So when we paged Dr. So-and-so, he calls back and I have no idea who it is. Obviously, he was used to the switchboard responding a little quicker...turns out he's a really nice guy, just a little laidback. But now when he calls and knows its me, he says his last name too, with a little sarcasm attached to it. :roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts
My cat did this sort of thing not too long ago. We also are on the 3rd floor. I think as soon as the summer started and the weather was nice he wanted to be out. It was strange. He liked to sit in the windows and look out. but in our second bedroom was where the problem was. One of the windows he used to climb up. To the top! He finally got the top half of the screen pushed out, and i would have a heartattack just about everytime. Anyways, he squezzed through, pushed the screen out and went out with it. he actually landed in the parking lot. But he was fine. Freaked out for a while but he was fine. Now he just lays in the windows, no problem, or climbing!! I think i was more scared when that happened though! When i did get him though he was sitting on the air conditioner to the people on the first floor! Howling! Poor Jack, but he was ok.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My brother has a hole in the screen in his window, so I just knew one day my cat would manage to get out of it. One night, I was laying in bed reading, and I heard a noise outside of my window. I looked out, and there was my cat, sitting outside on the awning thing underneath my window looking back in at me. I freaked out and woke my brother up, I was so afraid she would jump down to the ground (we are on the second story with an awning thing underneath our windows which is connected). Luckily, she came right back in through the hole and was like, why are you guys freaking out?! She thought it was just an extension of my room or something.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Julia had always been a "deck cat" of sorts with her previous owner and could go in and out as she pleased, so I thought she would be fine. But I tend to be paranoid anyway - with good reason I guess.

I was talking to her previous owner last night and he told me something he told me a long time ago that I had forgotten about. About 5 years or so (maybe 6?) he moved from his home in Ontario to Halifax and left Julia at home with his mother as he thought the move would be too traumatic. After about a week, Julia jumped out of a second story window that was open at his mother's house. She hadn't been the same since he left apparently and wanted out. :( He had her shipped to Halifax after that incident.

So I think he just misses him a great deal. He said numerous times before (before he knew he was moving back) that Julia gets along with me very well, to the point where it seemed odd. So he trusts that she still likes living with me. And although she doesn't "seem" as happy right now as she had before - all the previous times I had seen her for the past couple years were while visiting his apartment and when I did she's go nuts cause she was happy to see me.

As for Moby and Julia, Moby likes her but it's not quite the same the other way around. He looks visibly confused when she snaps at him sometimes. But they're starting to play once and a while at night. Sorta a tag and run game (and I saw Julia initiating it so I'm not as paranoid she totally hates him).

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Bean, I hate to say this, because my Precious is a real sweetheart, but she has Blueberry completely henpecked. Although they both initiate games of chase, she puts him in his place if he seems to be catching her too often. Then he comes to me for comfort. He also tries to get on my lap any time she's there, and she gets upset and leaves. Sometimes she cuffs him with a closed paw--if his behavior doesn't please her. :)

Nevertheless, they still cuddle together and bathe one another. The only difference is that she holds him down with her paw if he wiggles at all! I think it's that mother instinct. I think she's saying, "Be still! This is for your own good!"

Moby is such an easy guy to get along with. I think it's just a difference in personalities, which makes life more interesting! :) I'm sure she loves you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts