Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a new cat I've been trying to integrate for four months now, into a house with previously a single cat. The single cat before was in a home with 2 more cats.

The 2nd one i got was a rescue, with no background on previous owners, presumably a stray.

Things have always been aggressive, swatting and hissing from under doors from the beginning, i had to cover the door with a blanket so they would stop. I won't lie, i might have tried to take things a little fast, but i have been given so many online guides to follow, and i have been for months, with -ZERO- progress.

I bought a gate that the new cat easily jumps over, so when we are doing feeding time and i open the door (with the gate in place) 9/10 times she immediately jumps over to chase my older cat. The most i can do is try to scold with a water bottle but i cannot before she jumps. i bought a second gate to double the height because she struggled jumping the short one, but she can actually jump that too (its nearly the full height of the door.)

When i can get them to just eat though, the new one is very fast with eating, however my older cat is a lot slower. typically careful glances are made while eating, and the new one will finish before the old one. (I am saying old as in they have been there longer, they are both relatively the same age.)

I try to do exercises of them playing in eachother's presence as well. But, ultimately an incursion will be made and it ruins all progress. I don't think there is any coming back, and i think i might just have to return the new cat. My older cat's previous owners said that she always just let their cats "fight it out" and it would work out, but i am afraid of that.

i guess you could consider this one last desperate call for help.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I tried for over a year to introduce a new cat to my girls. NONE of us were happy and I wish I hadn't waited so long to find her another home. I don't consider rehoming to be a bad word. The cat found a great new home where she was the only cat. Sometimes, we're just the middle-man in the search for the right fit. If the previous owners are willing to take her back, that would be great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts