Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post this here, because most people I know would consider me absolutely CRAZY for feeling this way, but I know none of you will...;)

I am going out of town for 5 days on Friday to visit my mom, and while I am thrilled to see her, I am so sad about leaving my kittens! My husband will be here with them, but still!! I am going to miss them so much! We've had them since New Year's Day and this will be my first time away from them for more than maybe 9 hours.

Am I crazy?!?!? ;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not at all! I get sad about leaving my cats every day when I go to work, and I often sit at work, wondering what they're up to and wishing I could cuddle them.

I know they miss me, too...anytime we get home, they're really cuddly, but when we were on vacation for 5 days (and had friends take care of them), we came back to EXTRA-cuddly kitties who seemed totally unwilling to leave our side!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I know what you mean. When I just had Teddy, I was going to go to the beach for a week but I had no one in my area to watch him while I was gone. So, the weekend before I was to leave, I drove Teddy up to my parents' house so my sister could watch him for me. That was a really lonely week leading up to vacation with no kitty.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I had to leave Muffs and Abby a few months after I adopted Abby to go on a business trip. My parents came to stay at my place to babysit. I phone my Mom every morning and every evening to check on the girls. I missed them so much. It's gotten a little easier over time, but I still miss them when I'm away.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've never had to leave my kitties for more than a day at the vet, but even then I absolutely hate it. So no, I don't think yer crazy at all...or we might just be on the same level of crazy. :p Either way, leaving my kitties, puts me in a panic. I'm dreading any long trips.

One good thing though, is my boyfriend and I have already talked about it, and if we ever go on vacation, we will be taking Samantha with us. She's so absolutely attached to me, that neither of us think she would be ok without me for that long. So she gets an automatic in on every trip we take, yay! It's the other two that I'll have worry about...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You're not crazy! I felt awful the first time I had to leave Pumpkin when she was a tiny kitten because she was having some stomach upset and an eye infection at the time (flatmate cared for her); I was so relieved when my trip got cut short! The second time I was gone for 1 1/2 weeks in January, and I was so worried that Simone would be upset because he'd never really bonded with my flatmate. Everything turned out okay though, and they have a much better relationship now :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
You're not crazy. We were only out for 9 hours yesterday and between the restaurant and dinner we discussed stopping at a store to pick him up a warmer jacket and SOs response was "Naw, we better get home and see how MOwMOw is. :p (I told you he's a keeper)

Even when I was at work during the day I'd think about MowMow and wonder what he's up too and miss him.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Since I have my two - I've not been out of town for more than a day - definatly never overnight - I would so hate to leave them!~

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! :) I feel a little better now. ;)

So are your cats usually really affectionate when you get back after being gone for a few days? Or do they ever get mad at you for leaving and act cold towards you? I've been working so hard to bond with them - I don't want all that undone!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Like I said, I've only had to leave them for a day at the vet, but each time they come home they are super affectionate. After Samantha had her teeth cleaned and bloodwork done, and I picked her up after being at the vets all day, she was velcro kitty for about a week...I couldn't get her off me, and she's normally around me anyways, but nothing like that.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I travel a fair bit and I'm usually away about 6 weeks each year, although only a few days at a time. My girls never get "mad" at me for leaving, and I don't think getting mad is something any cat does...that's more of a human trait!

It might take a little while for your cats to recognize you at first, in part because you will be carrying different smells. Muffs generally recognizes me almost immediately, but it takes Abby a few hours to "remember" who I am, following which she's back on my lap. I'm sure they'll be fine, so enjoy your visit with your Mom and try not to worry...easier said than done, I know!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know how you feel! I was a ball of stress when I left my kitten for Christmas since it was the first time we'd be gone for more than a single night. It ended up being fine since I had a friend come over and check in on her but I definitely missed her for those 5 days! Not so sure if she missed us . . . lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts