Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the first week of my graphic design classes were AWESOME :D .. I can sooo see myself doing it as a career, all my teachers have their own businesses too, and its amazing, they showed us their portfolios and wow, this is what a college experiance should be like... I M SOOO HAPPY IN COLLEGE NOW! :D
Hehehe other then using macs for the first time --- man their a WHOLE new language- but Im sure I'll get use to them really soon

YayY! college is fun again 8)

The thing is now I need a job lol... i have fridays off so it would be nice to work friday, sat, and sundays, my dad is really presurring me into getting one and my mom is still saying school comes first :? ... maybe i can work something out

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Glad you like graphic design. I love it too and been in the graphics business (not as a graphic designer the whole time) since 25 years. I never will grow bored with it!

Are you using modern Macs, or do you have to work in old Mac OS 9? Mac OS X is a very nice operating system, and should be nice to work with for graphic design. Try color calibrate your whole Windows system and you'll know what I'm talking about. Color calibration from input to output is so important in this business. You really need to see the same colors on your monitor as you'll see when you pick up a freshly printed broschure done in 4-6 colors. It's such a gratification to know that that the thing you hold in your hand, was created in your head and now you hold the finished product in your hand! And printers ink smells good... at least when you've done the originals yourself. :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I tried Graphic Design my first time in college - I hated it. Not the graphics in general, mainly the teachers. One was new, completely new.. 3 weeks notice new. And she thought it was a brilliant idea to have introductions day 1, then a test day 2 WITH drawing homework? Needless to say, that wasn't the best of way to learn things. Then in my next class, expected to draw things in charcoal when I can't even draw with a pencil? Oookk. The actual 'computer' graphic class was pretty easy - but the teacher didn't know what he was talking about IMO.

I use a Mac full-time now, unless I'm playing games. It's pretty simple once you get used to it. Not really that much difference. If you want to own one, Apple *just* released the Apple Mini.. Which is TINY! And only $500! So it's cheap(for a mac) and compact. My fiance is thinking of getting one for his own web site server, since that's all he'd use it for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's a reason you don't see "Windows" stickers on cars but there are lots of "apple" stickers. Mac is loved while Windows is merely tolerated.

Remember, Windows is a second-rate imitation of Mac, o they're almost identical in operation. . You gotta hand it to Microsoft though, they'll keep trying until they get something right. After fifteen years they've almost caught up with Apple.

I got my BA in Graphic Design back in 1998. Since then I've expanded into 3D animation and DVD authoring.

Before buying Illustrator, try out Macromedia Freehand. It does the same thing as Illustrator but more elegantly. Moving objects from one layer to another is a nightmare in Illustrator but takes one click in Freehand, for instance.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Kishkumen said:
Before buying Illustrator, try out Macromedia Freehand. It does the same thing as Illustrator but more elegantly. Moving objects from one layer to another is a nightmare in Illustrator but takes one click in Freehand, for instance.
Cool to find another Freehand buff! I've been using it since version 1 or something like that (been in the business too long) and even if I've gotten training in Illustrator, it's too much to keep in mind with Illustrator that I end up using Freehand instead. Freehand also makes things simple, you don't need different mouse pointers to be able to edit an anchor point, to fix the curve.

Freehand is freedom! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts