Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
:kittyball

My name is Danka and I have 2 cats. Our oldest is about 7-8 years old and rather big and heavy -16 pounds or so (manx mix, or something). She is not too friendly, she tolerates well my 10 year old daughter only. Not me. :eek:
We have a 2 year old much lighter domestic shorthair too, and she loves me more than anyone (I guess it evened out, eh?:wink:)
What happened is that we need to move from AL to NV. 8O I plan to ship my stuff and car, and fly on a plane with my daughter. My husband is already in NV and will pick us at the airport.
Now, how do I move my cats? I plan to take the smaller and whinier as a carry-on. No problem here, I think. I wanted to have the larger one shipped as cargo 1-2 days earlier (Delta)... but... I'm scared. I don't have huge sum of money for some awesomesauce crate, cargo shipment is also expensive. And then teh most important: the conditions she will be in. Medium length hair, won't she overheat?
I really need some advice on transporting the larger kitty... Can anyone suggest something?:fust

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You could check with the airline, but in my experience the cargo hold for animals is temperature controlled. Make sure you have a cat carrier that has a very stiff latching, and it's properly latched....recently one got lost temporarily on a plane because it wasn't latched properly and the cat ended up in the pilot's cabin. Give it a good feed the day before, but a very light one before you leave. Most cats will not eat or drink while in transit. Don't sedate the cat....as it can have the opposite effect.
We're moving house next week but to another town two hours away. But even so, with all the packing that's going on my cats know something's up. The most dangerous time of a move is if you cannot secure your cats in a carrier and/or dog crate while moving of furniture either out/in a house, where the movers want the doors left open. Can't tell you how many times I've heard of someone's cat getting lost during a move. Best to confine your cats to one room, until they get used to their new digs. Good luck on your move!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with catloverami about sedation; unless you have used sedation before I wouldn't recommend it. I had a friend who tried it before taking her cat with her on a move and the cat became neurotic: running through the house with whatever he could pick up in his mouth!

However, from experiences with friends moving animals via airplane there is always a risk, however these days it is fairly safe as long as you take the proper precautions. I'd definitely try to get the cat used to a cat carrier as well. Start putting familiar objects in it or kitty treats so it becomes comfortable in what will be her temporary home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I am also new to this site, and will be traveling with three cats from AL to NH next weekend. I currently have prescriptions for diazepam and a sleep aid (not to use both at the same time!), not sure if I want to go that route. Any suggestions that people have, I will gladly take them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.