Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is rico and im 16.

im new to having a cat, his name is kai, and hes a black and white cat.

a few questions i was wondering is- what is a heat moment? is there anyway to make the cats area get along with him? do i have to get him spayed :lol:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I don't know what a heat moment is but you should most definately get him spayed. It can be best to prevent some forms of cancer and will help you live with him.

Cats who aren't fixed will want to go out more and roam around, getting other cats pregnant and adding to the already HUGE amount of unwanted cats and kittens in shelters.

It will also calm him down a bit and make him less likely to spray to mark his territory. Actually, I'm pretty sure it cuts down that instinct so he won't do it at all (mine doesn't).

So please have it done soon :) You'll be thankful you did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definately

Definately have him neutered. I know how you probably feal, it was a tough decision for me but it really is best for him as well as you.

Please follow this link to the Humane Societies website RE spaying & neuturing. It will tell you where, why and how.

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11877

·
Registered
722 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think you are referring to when a cat is in heat? This only happens to female cats, and basicly it means they have reached sexual maturity and the only thing on their mind is mating. It usually occurs every two weeks or so for about two days at a time. If it is allowed to occur more than a few times without her mating it can lead to serious health issues so it is best to get her spayed.

Male cats who reach sexual maturity will spray, this means they will urinate on just about anything, and its VERY stinky. To prevent this he needs to be neutered before he starts spraying because it is possible he will continue to spray even after he has been neutered if he has already started doing so.

If the cost of neutering is an issue there are many low cost spay/neuter programs out there, try doing a google search for them in your area. This should be done before the cat reaches six months of age.

As far as the cats in the area, unless you live in a very rural area (and even then unfortunately) it is best to keep your cat indoors. There are many dangers in the outside world for a cat, fleas, ticks, cars 8O , other cats, dogs, viruses, diseases, mean people :cry: ....etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts