Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week (weather wise) is not a good one...at all!
Monday was pretty good...Monday night into Tuesday was our first round of snow....no biggy. Sure it was a pain in the rear to have to walk through it to feed the animals and everything....then Tuesday night we get sleet, ALOT of sleet. I mean it was pure sleet while I was doing chores. I had to walk backwards towards the horse pastures while carrying their hay b/c the sleet was hitting me in the face and it hurt!

By morning we have more snow on the ground with a frozen layer on top...(if that makes any sense.LOL) So as I'm walking through the snow, it's not the light fluffy kind that's easy to walk through, its breaking through the frozen layer and then stepping into the deep snow.

We have drifts....bad enough my mom couldn't get out of the driveway to go to work this morning. the plows didn't go by until late morning.

The neighbor offered to clear out our drive way, and he ended up getting the tractor stuck. I helped him with that...did my usual chores and made about 4 trips across the road to the neighbors b/c 3 of my 4 horses are over there....so walking through all that snow wore me out!

And NOW we have a windchill advisory. As of right now, they are saying the low for tonight and tomorrow night is 0*F...windchills being around -15 to -20*F....BRRRRRRRRRRR

I know there's other areas of the US that's colder but still, darn it. I am going to complain! LOL

I HATE WINTER!!

Ok, I'll quit complaining long enough to get some sleep...I'm sure I wont be very happy come morning when I am shoveling snow and it's 0*F......I'll be wondering why in the world I chose to raise livestock and why in the world I decided to have one of my goats kid in the middle of Jan! I have baby goaties in the barn!! And a goat to milk.....and unfortunately I can't milk the goat with gloves on! Just doesn't work too well. LOL

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
MowMow - LOL!

I'm sick of winter, too. We had a blizzard the week of Thanksgiving, and it has pretty much stayed "winter" since then. Our snowpack/moisture level is about 190% of normal! While this is good because we need it...why does it have to come with the cold??
Our windchill value tonight is -45F because of high winds (over 20mph) and a regular temp of 0

I just hope my ferals use the houses I got for them! I would love to bring them in, but my dad won't let me... and I can't catch Zinny anyway - and she's so attached to Disco (who I can catch), that I think she'd get stressed out emotionally & physically from not having her sister to snuggle with in this weather!

Still another whole 45 days until Spring!
Not that it guarantees warm...we've had it snow in April and May before! Heck, one year it snowed in June - granted it was in the "mountains", just barely stopping at the level that homes in the foothills are built.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i am ready for warm weather, it has been very cold here this winter, temp. has been in 20's in last couple of days and it is suppose to snow today and tomorrow and we are in south texas!!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Any weather that requires more than 3 layers to stop shivering when outside is too cold. I'm with you on this, hurry up Summer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I live in the DFW area. We've been shut down since early Tuesday morning. We got a thunderstorm with sleet - the yard looks like it snowed. Even though MN and WI sent snowplows as part of the emergency plan for the Super Bowl, there is nothing they can do about the inch of ice on the ground. We are supposed to get snow later today.
DFW is a huge area and the wind easily blows through. I refuse to look at the wind chill.
Hard to believe that it was 75 a week ago.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm astounded at the blizzards raking the US right now.

Down here in CA we're not getting any of that, but it has been an unusually long, cold winter for us. I know anyone in the midwest is probably laughing at this, I know it's barely cold at all here (in the 30s this morning) compared to there. ;)

But it's colder than we're used to for sure! I normally enjoy winter, and even I'm ready for it to warm up a bit.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I live in the DFW area. We've been shut down since early Tuesday morning. We got a thunderstorm with sleet - the yard looks like it snowed. Even though MN and WI sent snowplows as part of the emergency plan for the Super Bowl, there is nothing they can do about the inch of ice on the ground. We are supposed to get snow later today.
DFW is a huge area and the wind easily blows through. I refuse to look at the wind chill.
Hard to believe that it was 75 a week ago.
I thought they only had the Super Bowl in warm climates?! What are all those short-sleeved people going to do down there, just drink more? :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
The weather people are calling for coldest days of the season next week. A couple of weeks ago we hit -24 here in the Twin Cities Metro North, so I'm not looking forward to that. (talking REAL temps here, not the wind chill stuff)

Midnight, the wild cat who lives under the porch in an insulated house and in the garage in an insulated house actually goes out in this stuff. This morning, after he ate at about 0430, he passed me in the driveway (I was out feeding the deer and other animals) gave me a Meow (see you later) and headed off. Of course it was warm, only zero! He comes back at about 0800 and takes another nap in the garage. I'm ready for Spring! So are the deer. :p

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
...*sigh* the sad thing is I'm sitting her being a little jelous of you folks. We were at -40F BEFORE the wind chill last week. Admittedly we're at 3F now...but the -40F is more normal for us. Weird weather this year for sure!

·
Registered
506 Posts
The deer, rabbits, etc get crack corn. I also have two heated water sources for the animals. Of course the usual sunflower seeds for the birds and squirrels. Old retired guy, so I have a lot of time. :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
The deer, rabbits, etc get crack corn. I also have two heated water sources for the animals. Of course the usual sunflower seeds for the birds and squirrels. Old retired guy, so I have a lot of time. :)
Not sure why but... I just got the freakish urge to hug you........

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Goldtanker, I just love your photos. I guess because they remind me of what I really love about our place here, too. I don't know about you, but I could sit, and watch the deer play all day long, and I'm not even old and retired!
We only have 4 deer that are coming in right now, most the time it's only 3, and those are the fawns from early summer. It's so nice to see that those deer stay around here, and can feel comfortable in our yard. I don't mind them nibbling on things, I've gotten used to it. The last week they have just been playing up a storm! They run, buck, and chase each other, coming in several times a day. They bed down to chew their cud in the afternoon right out behind the house now, so I guess they really feel comfortable and safe. I have to LOL too, because we've had to snowblow a path out to the deer corn pile, and yesterday I had to shovel that path open so I could get out there to put corn out. Funny what we do for the simple pleasures we call nature! :?

It was -25 wind chill here last night..........brrr! We missed the snow that others got though, thankfully! I can handle winter, but when we get this much snow it gets frustrating, because you just can't get around anywhere. We're so confined! I usually like to walk the horse around the yard, and through the woods, but it's impossible now. Though, I have been ground driving him around all the snowblower paths Dave had made. :p I think it's just gets to be such a long season, and the closer to spring we get, the more it seems to drag on. But what a rough winter this one has been! Enough already!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yup! That's it!

Here's one of the little fawns. I took this on one of the coldest days that we've had so far this winter. Poor little thing, it looks so cold!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your photo of the fawn reminds me of how I think about the same thing. They spend the first months of their lives in the lush green vegetation and unlimited sources of water and shelter for the Summer and early Fall. And then - the bottom falls out and they are faced with bitter cold, eating bark and browse. Up North, they have to watch out for the wolves - down here it's the cars!

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
The amount of snow on the ground here is starting to become mind boggling and there's no end in sight...another 4-8" on Saturday and then another storm Monday into Tuesday, no predictions on that one yet. It's been too cold to get any melting between storms and there's just no place to put the snow anymore. Many of the road widths are significantly reduced due to snow banks, you can barely see cars approaching from the opposite direction at an intersection. The snowbanks are so high that it feels like a tunnel...and I drive a Rav4, so it's not like my car is low to the ground.

What was I thinking when I was doing a happy dance before the first storm????

1 - 20 of 50 Posts