Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take this opportunity to say, "I'm sorry."

I was on my way home tonight, driving through rural Tennessee on a single-lane highway that was quite busy. I was in front of a car that was impatiently trying to get around me, but they couldn't because there was too much traffic coming the other way. So, as both of us pass a group of three cars coming the other way, a possum suddenly appears in front of my car... *sigh*

I want to say to the Universe that I'm sorry..

---

I've had a rough night. I was very upset and I had to pull over and let Joe drive the rest of the way home. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand that it was an accident, and that there's nothing *I* could have done to stop it.. I just get upset because at times like this, I loathe being human. I hate that we build machines that can murder innocent animals. I hate that we move into their habitat and never have a second thought about it. *That's* why I feel so horrible...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm so sorry...it is so distressing to be the cause of a critter's death, no matter how accidental it was.

Maybe it will make you feel better if I tell you about my very worst day ever. I was driving to work in Newport Beach. I often took the "back way" through a quiet neighborhood to avoid the traffic on the major streets. This particular morning I was driving (way too fast, as usual in my younger days!), when a bird suddenly swooped in front of the car. Nothing I could do. I looked in the rear view mirror and sure enough, there was the dead bird laying in the street. I felt awful.

I brought my eyes and attention back to the street in front of me, and there, smack dab in the middle of the street, stood a squirrel. He spun and darted right under my front tire, and splat, I got him too. Aaarrrgghh!!

I suppose I became a vet at least partly to atone for killing those two poor animals!!

Over the years I've come to understand that there is a reason for everything, even if we don't know what it is at the time. I have seen a number of wild animals hit by cars that were sick or severely parasitized or otherwise doomed for some reason. In fact, I started to think that many animals choose "suicide by car" to avoid a more prolonged and painful death. So in a way you may actually have been an angel of mercy to that little guy. At least it was quick and as painless as could be.

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange, isn't it..? After I pulled over, I collapsed into tears and all I could keep saying was, "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry.."

I've always said that if I could have one wish, I'd make every animal on the planet know about how dangerous the roads are.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yeah, I hit a squirrel last week and felt the same way, did all I could to avoid it, but there was an impatient Ford F150 right on my a$s. First time I've hit anything in well over 10 years. :x

·
Registered
166 Posts
We almost hit an opossum on the way home from a friend's tonight - it was dark and the road is really up-and-down, you can't see very far ahead. I'm saying something to my boyfriend when the headlights illuminate an opossum RIGHT on the side of the road. I shrieked. But I don't think we hit it. I really hope not. Always gives me near heart-attacks when I see an animal on the road. :(

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
First off I would like to say I am so sorry Tanyuh - I know how you feel - I hope you find comfort in the fact that at least that little being is pain free...***hugs Tanyuh***

Richo said:
I've never hit an animal, hope I never do.
I remember you said in a previous thread that you have never even seen an animal getting hit - I wish I were in that position.
I sometimes hate getting in the car for fear I see yet another being hurt.
Yes it is probably a *good death* to perish in a quick and painless way. But what disturbs me the most is when animals don't die and desperetaley try to crawl ..and then the ones that do manage die of a slow, painful death at the side of the road.
Here is the link to what happened to me not long ago

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... fe+traffic

I hope too there is a reason for such happenings and that those innocent beings that are in such pains get extra strength to deal with the situations...and I also hope there is a beautiful place for them where they are happy and pain free when they cross the bridge.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Richo said:
I've never hit an animal, hope I never do.
consider yourself very lucky. Death by automobile is a horrific experience if you love animals. Some places around here have put in 'squirrel bridges' across busy highways, but that doesn't help the deer, which are the biggest problem around here. I stood and watched a cat get plastered a few months ago and I'm still shook up about it. :cry:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to never have hit an animal. I've come close, though. Last year, a neighbors bulldog ran right out into the street, less than ten feet in front of my car. Luckily, I was not going fast, and I pulled over, brought him back home, and did my best to reign in the tongue-lashing on his owner. A similar incident happened to my mom, with unfortunate results.

She was driving down a rural road (which is pretty much most of the roads around here) and she was passing a field with very high grass. A small dog ran out of the grass and right into her path. The dog never saw her, she barely saw him - there was no time to brake. She wrapped the dog in her jacket, and carried him to the nearest house. The girl there was a young teen whose parents were not home. She was crying, my mom was crying, it was awful. I know my mom understood that there was no way she could have avoided it, and that the dog died instantly, but it's still hard.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm sorry, Tahnya, that you had to go through that. My sympathy to all of you who have had to witness such a thing. My comfort comes from (Not trying to preach!!) Buddhist teaching: the idea that these creatures will be re-incarnated into something closer to humanity so that they will have to opportunity to reach freedom from all pain (Nirvana). (Just thought I'd share that with you all. People are so sensitive about religion these days, you just don't know what to say!) Their deaths were not your fault...you did not cut down the trees and ruin their habitats, etc. You were both victims of circumstance. The little one's passing is not on your shoulders. I'm sure it will make you feel better to do something to atone for the occurence, though. Put up a bird feeder if you can, or a squirrel feeder. Volunteer an afternoon to a local shelter. Do something to send your good intentions out into the universe! You'll feel better and you'll be helping another animal(s). *Feel better*

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. And I'm so sorry for all of our experiences. I agree that both me and the little guy are 'victims of circumstance,' but I think that's what makes me so sad. I also hope that he died quickly. The thought of him suffering really drives a stake into my heart. I don't know Why he ran out in front of my car! Do you really think animals can contemplate suicide?

Lola, what do the Buddhists say about this? Or about suicide in general?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That is wonderful advice, Lola - it is a rewarding thing to give back - kind words and deeds will actually help and better the situation. They may seem like little steps but they certainly count into forming big ones.
Thank you for your beautiful piece of advice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I hit 3 birds while I was in Ohio last summer... little buggers were on the side of the road... the second a car came by they felt compeled to fly across so all the cars would strike them! One hit the windshield - the other hit my bumper - I think the other hit my hood and bounced off of the windshield. I swear... there was nothing I could do... they would just fly right infront of me.

On a happy note.. I saw one of our infamous road-kill marsupials crossing the road... and actually making it across... YES across the road... he didn't stop to play dead or anything - even in the glare of headlights and horns... they are getting smarter I think.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Tanyuh -- you never know. Possums are often carriers of rabies -- maybe you actually gave him a more humane death than he was headed for. I don't believe God had it in for you OR that possum...I think He had some sort of plan. Please try to rest easy.

I once hit a BLACK squirrel up in LaCrosse, WI. Yes...there are black squirrels there. I felt awful -- as if I'd killed a bald eagle or a white wolf or something. I bawled my eyes out -- I know how you feel. But I believe there's a plan for everything, and I certainly believe that in your case. Perhaps God was trying to remind you of something...I'd just try to see it as one of life's moments that makes you stop in your tracks and think about what there is to realize in the world.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
tanyuh said:
Lola, what do the Buddhists say about this? Or about suicide in general?
Well, one of the basic principles of Buddhism is "not to harm." This includes one's self. Therefore, one who commits suicide is in danger of being reborn as a lower form of life. There are six levels of cycles of beings: **** beings, ghosts, animals, humans, jealous gods, gods. Humans are the closest ones to attaining Nirvana (freedom from all want and pain) as gods are not as aware of suffering and want, so the lower life-forms have to do good in life to be reborn closer to a human life. Since animals do not have the capability to contemplate suicide, his death was not his fault and he will not be reborn as a lower life-form. And though you did not mean to hit him (NOT YOUR FAULT), you do have some bad karma to make up for. So, keep that in mind.
All things are as they should be. Perhaps any suffering he may have endured in this life bumped his next life up in the level of animals. Think of it that way because you cannot undo what is done. You can only try to balance out the karma.
I hope this, in all its brevity, made some sense to you, Tahnya. :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts