Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i originally rescued a pair of kittens from the same litter... but i ended up giving one of them away to a nice lady who runs an adoption home (it was too much stress for me financially and mentally).

i look back at how the two wrestled in the first week they were here and i look at my kitten now at how she plays with her toys, i can't help but feel that she's deprived of maximizing her fun and enjoyment.

some day (year(s) or so from now) i hope to adopt another cat to play with pebbles. is this a good idea or would she be too territorial by then? also, would it be better to adopt a kitten or an adult cat later on?

thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Don't feel bad, your kitten is just fine ( btw, good lookin cat, I love that collar pic! ) Separation from siblings and their mother is something most cats must endure. Once out of the kitten stage, most become very independent, provided they weren't removed from mama too young. Even if sucessfully socialized with other cats, they seldom miss each other when they are separated, even if they seem like best buddies. At least thats been my experience, I'm sure its not the same for all cats.

I know what you're saying tho, I got a second cat for the same reason a long time ago. They got along fine, but my oldest didn't seem any 'happier'. HOWEVER, she did quit trashing my apartment while I was at work, I think she became preoccupied with what the 'other' cat was up to. I've introduced new cats at all stages of life and given time and some bruised egos, mine included, everyone gets along OK eventually, some better than others. 8)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
You sound like such a caring owner. :)
I agree, your kitten will be just fine. Many, many kittens and cats have only human company with no problem. Some, like mine, actually prefer to be an "only". I am sure you give your kitten tons of attention and I'm sure she is perfectly happy.
If you do plan to bring in another cat I would do it while she is still reasonably young, before she gets old and stubborn. :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
you know, I was in the EXACT same boat as you. two kittens was too much for me as a first time pet owner, so I gave one away to a nice family.

now it's been a while, and I'm more used to the responsibilities, so I've begun the search for a new kitten to keep my sherlock company. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts