Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( im worried coz my mum has just let the cat out for the first time today.
it kept on meowing and it allso doesnt have its collar on.

hope it will come back :?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:?: any time i try to put its new collar on it just runs off or retaliates.
ive tryed putting it on when my mum is stroking it but its way to cautious for that.
ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest a collar with a quick snap clip (like on a fanny pack or knapsack). Keep it inside and put the collar on, then immediately give the kitty a treat. Leave the collar on for an hour then take it off. The next day, put the collar on again and give kitty a treat, then leave it on for a few hours. Repeat for a week, lengthening the time on. Kitty will begin to associate the collar with treats and perhaps even beg to be collared. Please put your civil number on the tag and a promise of a reward (it's amazing what an urchin will do for a pound or euro or whatever the currency is now heh heh.)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If he won't wear a collar, be sure your cat gets microchipped. This is an inexpensive procedure that inserts a chip under the skin so if he gets lost and picked up, the shelter will scan him and be able to return him to you.

Why do you want your cat to go out? His chances of an early death or serious injury are extremely high. Indoor cats can live 15-18 years, but outdoor cats are usually killed by something or other before they're 5.

We just had a long discussion on this; you might want to do a search and see all the many reasons going out is so dangerous for a cat.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh my, I could never let these two go out. Drizzle would get in trouble for sure! He does want to go out, but... well, too bad! :p He just likes to explore is all, so if I give him new places inside to explore, he's happy. LOL. Boo doesn't have any desire to go out. She's too scared, and she's had a year and a half of being yelled at when she goes towards an open door, lol. She used to be an escape artist, or, tried to be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my mum let it out because it wouldnt stop meowing! :)
and lets not forget that i got Tober from a cattery which means his past owners might have let him out allot and so hes got used to it.

plus there are plenty of girl cats for him round ere :twisted:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree. Having other cats to chace around is bad for cats...funny for little kids to do on the playground, but bad for the cat population. I have two cats and when they wont stop meowing I make sure that they have food and water...they normally wont stop complaining if they have run out. I also clean the litter box and see if that helps. If they are just trying to annoy me or are doing it because they are bored then I put them in another room for an hour and let them do their thing. They normally settle down within twenty minutes or so. Letting a cat out because it's meowing only teaches it to meow a ton when it wants something. This could be doing something that has only bad effects. And...try to put a collar on when a cat is asleep or have two people do it. One can hold the cat and pet it and the other person from behind can slip the collar on so that the latch is behind its head by its sholders...so the cat cant bite. I dont think any cat "enjoys" wearing a collar but once it is on...after a few days or even a few hours its no big deal for them. Make sure that the collar isnt too loose either. You should only be able to put two fingers underneath of it comfortably. This will make sure that it cant be pulled off and also cant be too tight. The collars that have the quick release are the best in case the collar gets caught on something because it will release and the cat will not be strangled...especially if the cat is outdoors!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Most catterys in Britian neuteur/spay the cat for you, I got mine from two different shelters, Fife cat Shelter & Cats prtection league, and both of them have a policy on this, if the cat is too young when you adopt they tell you when to have it done and will check to make sure you do it, I think the shelters over here are really good about that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts