Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I join this forum looking for some answers. I hear a lot of cat parents having problems with constipation and obstructions but no real answers. My cat has not had a bowel movement in weeks I spent over $1,000 at two different vet offices trying to get him help. We're at the point of IV fluids, syringe feedings,daily enemas, three times daily lactulose and abdomen palpations. This has produced NO bowel movement. Multiple x-rays show that the intestines are enlarged and impacted but the colon is completely empty. My vet says the fecal matter is so far up that she cannot even reach up in there with a tool and extract the stuck feces. My cat looks like he's on death's door I just don't know what to do anymore. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
26,389 Posts
Is surgery not a possibility?

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Oh dear, I'm so very sorry to hear of your cat's constipation problems.....poor thing having to undergo all the treatments---daily enemas, etc. How is the cat handling this? with complacency or fear and avoidance? It sounds to me that she has reached that point of having megacolon where it is not possible for the intestine to move the feces along. It will be a tough decision to decide whether to go thro with surgery or not? If your girl is on "death's door", she may be in pain and is suffering. I find it strange that the vets have not suggested surgery, did they give a reason why not? I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions....it's a decision you'll have to make. Prayers for you and girl.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
How does the vet know it's fecal matter? The cat may have ingested a foreign object. Seems like surgery is the next course of action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts