Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I could really use some advice. I've taken care of cats my whole life, but they've always been fixed. Well, I took in a stray recently with a wonderful temperment and she's been such a great addition to my life, but yesterday she started bleeding. It seems like a period to me. Is this to be expected? How long will it last? What should I expect from this process and is there anything I should change in the way I care for her, food, etc? It looks as though there is something hanging out of her, but I cant tell what it is. Any ideas or advice would be well appreciated. Thanks
Helena

·
Registered
761 Posts
It lasts about 3 or 4 days and she'll continue to go in heat (every 2 or 3 weeks) until she is either pregnant or spayed. A female cat in heat is very uncomfortable. There is really nothing you can do other then getting her spayed which I suggest. It will help you and help her. Careful not to let her out side. She'll try pretty much anything to get there and if she does, she'll more then likely come back pregnant. You might consider putting her inside a room with the door closed until she is no longer in heat to lower the risk of her escaping outside. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice

Thank you so much Lexxie. I called an animal clinic the other day, and the woman on the phone said that I needed to wait about three weeks to get her fixed because it cant be done while she's in heat... but if she's gonna go in and out every few weeks, do i need to wait until it's completely over??
Helena

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cats can be spayed while they are in heat but a lot of veterinarians don't like to do this until after because while in heat their ovaries and uterus are swollen and filled with blood, increasing the risk of hemorrhage. Or you can decide to wait until it's completely over. Ask you vet and I'm sure he/she will be glad to tell you what they prefer and suggest. Good luck!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Umm cats don't bleed while in heat. Dogs do but not cats. If your cat is bleeding she could have been pregnant or has an infection..maybe pyometra. There should be nothing hanging out. That is not normal. Vets can spay her while she is in heat or has an infection. They take all of that anyway it doesn't matter if it is swollen. I would take her to the vet ASAP and look around where you got her to see if she had kittens. If you can chack her temp that may signal if something is wrong. Cats normal temp rectal is 101.5. Check to see if her nipples are enlarged and if she looks engorged with milk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a friend who owned a cat that was in heat and it bled a little. She took it to the vet and the veterinarian said it was normal if a small amount blood comes out. Generally though, cats don't bleed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
no blood is normal? I had rabbit and the female bleed too...

Nothing hanging out or anything but you could see it on snow.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would call the vet. Just as bengalsownme say´s it is not normal for acat to bleed during heat. There is a possibility something is wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My female cat is 1.5/2 years and not spayed. She has never bled in all the times she has been in heat. Everything I've ready says that cats don't bleed, I agree you should ask your vet if THIS bleeding is normal.

Also I would look into to making sure your cat as all her shots ASAP. You have to wait 5-6 weeks after shots before they can opperate.

I found this out the hard way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
IrisLise said:
Also I would look into to making sure your cat as all her shots ASAP. You have to wait 5-6 weeks after shots before they can opperate. quote]

I had my cat spayed and she got all her shots the same day. There should be no reason they need to wait. What kind of shot was it that you had to wait before spaying?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts