Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a new cat forum member and would be very grateful if any other cat forum members have experience with my cat’s new, odd behavior. In advance, I apologize for the length of my post. I am not usually so long-winded, but I am very concerned about this wonderful, little guy. My two, altered, male rescues are 10 years old and have been with me since babies. One of the boys, Kobe, a shy, classic mackerel orange tabby, has recently adopted a very strange behavior that is puzzling me. Since adoption, Kobe has always been a characteristic “scaredy cat” temporarily hiding under beds when the door bell rings or guests visit and even retreating at times when somebody whistles a tune or he hears the sound of loud garbage trucks passing outside the window, but when the house was quiet, he could be a total lover boy sitting on my lap, purring, sleeping comfortably throughout the night on the bed near me. About 3 years ago, Kobe stopped going into the enclosed garden area and became a housebound fellow due to house construction next door. The few trips to the vet have always been traumatic for him but fortunately they have been very few. Regrettably, on Sunday 2/26, I had to take Kobe to the emergency vet fearing he had an urinary problem because, for the first time, I saw small spots of urine on a pillow where he naps, and I noticed Kobe had been hiding under a chair for a full day --- clear signs of trouble. The weekend emergency vet ruled out an immediate crises, but we agreed I would take Kobe to my regular vet, an extremely sensitive practitioner, early the following morning on Monday 2/27. My vet confirmed Kobe’s urine test pointed to cystitis but fortunately a comprehensive blood test showed otherwise healthy results. A Convenia injection was given since Kobe is extremely difficult to give anything by mouth due to his edginess. Other than being sleepy for a few days, Kobe responded well slowly showing improved health. He is now eating regular, hearty meals; grooming himself; using the cat box. He allows me to pet him, purrs gently, rolls over. However, here is the baffling puzzle. Kobe absolutely refuses to leave the bay window in my office where he sits and sleeps on large oversized pillows. He quickly slinks out once or twice a day (usually at night when the house is quiet) to use the cat box, but quickly comes back to his pillows literally running down the hall to return to security. I have started bringing his food to him mostly to ensure he was eating especially after his illness, although, before his illness, I sometimes had to bring food to him since his 24 pound Main **** brother, Mr. Baby, would often try to eat his food and muscle him away if left unsupervised. Before his illness, he (and his brother) would spend part of the day sleeping in the office bay window, but Kobe would move about the house into another favorite window perch in the den and into my bedroom at night for sleeping. Now, since this recent illness and 2 visits to the vet, he absolutely is stationed 24-7 in the office bay window with no visits to my lap when I am reading or watching TV in the den, no trips to bed for his nightly sleep, no visits off the bay window pillows to my work table (adjacent to the bay window) to sit next to me as I use the computer. I have a narrow, totally screened-in "cat run" off my kitchen, and I found him and his brother out there on two instances in the middle of the night suggesting he possibly moves around when all is totally quiet. Otherwise, Kobe, is totally stationed in the bay window and shows no signs of leaving it or reinitiating his past one-on-one interaction. I would appreciate any ideas on what is going on here. Thanks for reading this. Again, sorry for the length.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Obviously that's his safe spot. Will he play with you? Try Da Bird? Or chasing crumpled paper balls?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
It seems the vet visit was traumatic for Kobe and he's reverted to the "scaredy cat" behavior. I wouldn't indulge him by feeding him near the office bay window. Start by moving his food very gradually a little further away each day until you're back to where it was before...the kitchen? I agree with Nan in trying to get him into some interactive play. I would also groom him every day in your bathroom with the door closed, so you have privacy from the other cats. Grooming with a chrome grooming comb (not brush) can be a bonding experience as well as making him feel good, and removes loose hair now that cats are starting to drop coat and reduces hairballs. Always end the grooming session on a good note, and give some treats and lots of loving and compliments. Hopefully some of these things may restore some confidence in Kobe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, catloverami. I think you are correct. The vet visit was very traumatic especially making 2 visits in 2 days. I have started moving food ever so slightly away from the window, and he is moving toward the food. Great idea and thanks! Last night I sat up in the window (a bit awkward for a 6 footer but well worth it!!) and combed him gently with equally gentle words. The entire family is being gentle and supportive trying to slowly move him back to his former world. Thanks for taking time to respond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Nan, you are so right. This baby window is a safe spot. Coco isn't much into playing and frankly hasn't been much of a player even when a baby. As a "scaredy cat" he tended to move away from bird toys and the standard kitty balls while he brother adores allof it with Coco just watching. Coco is ever so slowly beginning to respond which is good news. We are moving his food more and more out of the bay window area. Thankfully, he is healthy, eating, grooming, using the box. I guess it is just a matter of gentle patience. Thanks for your time and response.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Glad to hear he's coming around....yes loving gentle patience is the key.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would also consider giving him "Rescue Remedy". It is a homeopathic mixture of herbs that works on both dogs and cats for anxiety. Some kids even end up on Prosac, a bit heavy perhaps but I would do just about anything to increase their quality of life. Starting a cat on a mood altering drug doesn't necessarily mean its for life either, he may just need to be on it until he relearns some behaviors and becomes more confident in himself. This poor baby has real anxiety issues. How awful for him to see threats everwhere even in his own home. Jackson Galaxy has an episode on "My Cat from ****" dealing with these issues on Animal Planets web site. He also has great info on it as well, he really is a terrific behaviorist. GL B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Binkers: Thanks so much for the suggestion on Rescue Remedy, a product I was unaware. I read some amazing reports on the product with over thirty 5 star commendations on Amazon. I am willing to try anything because Coco is really suffering. His health is fine: eating, using cat box, grooming, but he is on constant alert. Had a plumber at the house today, and poor Coco has been under the chair all day. He is a precious little guy but so anxious it really is painful to watch. QUESTION: Do you have any tips on how you give Rescue Remedy. One recommendation was to sprinkle a few drops ( mixed with water) on the cat's food. Really appreciate your taking time to help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might start with 6 drops ln the morning and work up from there. I would put it in something he really likes so he gets it all. you can increase it pretty rapidly if need be but be aware that it often in an alcohol base which means too much can affect their liver so the smallest effective dose is best. GL B

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bach makes a pet formula, carried by "Only Natural Pet". It's alcohol free. A lot of organic food stores carry Bach herbal remedys. GL again, B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Binkers: I read additional reviews of Rescue Remedy on several websites and am amazed at what glowing comments appear from so many people. I did order the alcohol-free formula and will follow your suggested initial 6 drops. One good thing is my kitty is a good eater, and I will try the drops (diluted in a little water) sprinkled over his food. He is such an absolutely lovely cat whom I want to see more peaceful. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts