Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two cats, an older male (neutered 11 years old adopted at 4 months) and he is a lazy sleepy cuddly house cat .... my younger cat ( not spayed approximately 7 years old adopted at 6 weeks) is driving my mother and I crazy. We love her and when she’s calm she’s great but on and off over the years at the moment mostly on, she pees on our beds, blankets, newspaper, us(!) and it’s not just a territorial spray it’s a full on urination. And before anyone chastises me for not getting her fixed yet about a month and half after I adopted her I became very ill and was in a medically induced coma for 36 days and then in the hospital for another almost 3 months and was in and out of the hospital for years and when they finally figured out what was wrong with me I couldn’t afford it. I can’t work so I can’t afford to have her spayed although if this is correct... spaying an older cat may not stop the yowling and whatnot. Anyway we have tried everything and part of my illness makes me very sensitive to her urine the smell.... and my mom would love to be able to leave out papers and newspapers without them getting urinated on. Once my mother had left a newspaper on this tiny chair we use as a step ladder and Meatball (the one with the pee problem) jumped on the chair and peed on the newspaper there. Over the last two months she’s peed on me once and my mother twice and remember it’s not just a little spray it’s a “real pee” and I’ve noticed she tends to do it more often right when she’s about to go into heat and just when her heat cycle is almost over..... does anyone have any suggestions for a low income family that might help us with this problem? We are getting desperately low on clean clothes lol and doing the laundry that often becomes very expensive If you lump the cost of doing laundry (money) all together. Please help... I will try anything at this point... I just want a happy cat and a happy mom... A happy everyone!

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
You've answered your own question. The worst of it seems tied to her being in heat. There are so many organizations that will spay for free if you show proof of low income. Also vet clinics whose sliding fees are tied to income.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Contact a vet or local animal shelter and tell them the situation you're in. There may be an organization(s) that spays/neuters cats for free or very low cost if person is unable to afford treatment. Not being being spayed, females cats have the natural urge to urinate in different places.....just part of the mating cycle to attract males.
Unfortunately Meatball at 6 wks. was adopted too early and never learned her litter box training. Kittens need to be kept with their mommacat and litter mates until at least 12-14 wks. It's during that crucial socializaion time that they learn litter box training, control of their bite and claws, and reading body language and verbal sounds from their litter mates and people handling them. You could try a litter attractant such as Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter as it helps cat to want to use the litter box.....if it works you can get to point of just sprinkling some of it on top of regular litter. When you see her peeing in the litter box, reward her immediately with your voice "Good Girl!" and give her a treat. This should help her to want to use a litter box. Get her spayed first tho. Hopefully you can get her re-trained to use it consistently. All the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Contact a vet or local animal shelter and tell them the situation you're in. There may be an organization(s) that spays/neuters cats for free or very low cost if person is unable to afford treatment. Not being being spayed, females cats have the natural urge to urinate in different places.....just part of the mating cycle to attract males.
Unfortunately Meatball at 6 wks. was adopted too early and never learned her litter box training. Kittens need to be kept with their mommacat and litter mates until at least 12-14 wks. It's during that crucial socializaion time that they learn litter box training, control of their bite and claws, and reading body language and verbal sounds from their litter mates and people handling them. You could try a litter attractant such as Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter as it helps cat to want to use the litter box.....if it works you can get to point of just sprinkling some of it on top of regular litter. When you see her peeing in the litter box, reward her immediately with your voice "Good Girl!" and give her a treat. This should help her to want to use a litter box. Get her spayed first tho. Hopefully you can get her re-trained to use it consistently. All the best!
The story of how I adopted meatball is a weird one. I was at the NYC animal shelter with my best friend and after a while we found one who was the roughly same age as Duke(big cat) and while we were waiting in line to tell them which cat we wanted this couple and please pardon me, this couple were very obviously on crack or meth and while they were waiting they were also asking everyone else if they wanted to buy meatball. I was shocked and appalled by the lack of care they had given her. She had a very bad case of conjunctivitis and was so small she must have been the rung of the litter. She was missing fur on her tail... it was just heartbreaking! So I gave up on the older cat and paid these people 75 dollars and that’s how I got her. I took her to the ASPCA and got her eyes taken care of and after being separated from duke for 2 weeks he welcomed her with open arms. And meatball uses the litter box all the time.. she possibly could have have copied the older cat but I don’t recall having to actually litter train either of my cats. But thank you for that suggestion about the attraction stuff... I had no idea it existed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts