Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
If any of you read my previous post about Emma, I caught her spraying on the wall in the family room. Suggestions were to get her spayed ASAP, which we did. A urine culture also showed no UTI. She does have a cloudy spot on her eye and the vet says it could be due to the herpes virus that causes URI's in cats. We are treating, and I am putting a little L-Lycine in her morning food. That seems to be helping quite a bit. The vet also said that her not feeling well could be causing her to urinate and defecate inappropriately. She was doing both in a corner on the carpet in our basement, peed in my daughter's bedroom, and in the living room.

After cleaning that all up and treating with enzymes, Feliway, Cat keepaway stuff, she has continued to go to the same corner in the basement. I caught her peeing last night... right next to the litter box that I moved there to encourage her to use it! Got that area cleaned up and covered it in plastic to deter and tonight I caught her nosing around the area. I promptly picked her up, set her in the box and she sprayed right on the wall, and then tried to cover it up.

I have changed litters, bought another litter pan so now I have one covered and one not covered (maybe I need a third?), I hate to contain her but that is our next step until we get this resolved. I also read about someone making a litter pan out of a garbage can with high sides for the spraying. I know the carpeting in the basement (it is old) has got to go. This is driving me nuts!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Everytime she does this and Eddie (our other meowser) is there, he looks at her like "ohhhh, you are in troubbbbleee" and then to us like "did you see that? It wasn't me!"

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Unfortunately some cats spray even after they are altered -- just out of habit if you didn't alter them soon enough. It sounds like it *could* be because of whatever is wrong with her -- so it looks like you're on the right track with getting that taken care of. It might just take a while for her to feel like herself again.

I'd keep using the Feliway -- sometimes it takes a month or two for it to work. Do you have a diffuser? Those work better than the spray because they cover a bigger area. But if she is containing the pee/spray to that one area, then maybe the spray is just fine. I think you are talking about the rubbermaid containers -- they have tall sides so that kitties who spray or "miss" don't make a mess. Somtimes you can find them at a dollar store, or just at Wal-Mart otherwise -- something like that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is certainly true that some cats will spray even after being fixed. One of my girls, Callie, did that. We spayed her long after she should have been spayed. She continued to spray for a couple weeks after being fixed, then she stopped on her own. Your cat may do that also. Just keep cleaning up in any areas that you see your cat spraying/peeing in. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts