Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background here: After my cat, Chi-Chi (Elsie's sister) died in July, Elsie suddenly started going in my room. She also became ridiculously dominant, bullying the other cats (including the previously dominant cat). My (now husband) and I moved out in September, taking 3 of the kitties with us (including Chen Le, the dominant and oldest kitty in the house).

Well, my parents let my old bedroom basically get used as a big litter box while I was gone. Cats (especially Elsie, I believe) have peed everywhere in there. We're going to be moving back due to finances, so we're gonna be yanking up carpet. And pouring hydrogen peroxide on the peed upon places (read somewhere that sometimes works). And, to prevent further destruction, we shut the door to that room, therefore locking Elsie out (and all the other cats, but yeah).

Well, it would seem that, in rebellion, she has decided to start peeing elsewhere. As in on my parents' couch. Like right beside my dad while he's sitting there. Needless to say...he's not happy.

If this doesn't cease soon, my parents are going to get her checked out by a vet (have to wait a bit for money to level out). My parents' installed a feliway diffuser today (I gave them mine, as it didn't seem to be helping my cats' case of the crankies). Any other suggestions though? Also, suggestions on removing cat pee from concrete (it's concrete under the carpets- my current idea is hydrogen peroxide. We can't afford to spend the money on the amount of Nature's Miracle this would probably take. I expect the room to be pretty well covered).

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I wouldn't use anything like hydrogen peroxide to remove the cat pee smell in your bedroom---it doesn't work. It would be better to paint over the pee areas with enamel paint. You should invest in a "black light" (hardware or pet stores carry them) to show up the peed areas. Rather than re-carpet, it would be better to use something like vinyl/linoleum laid in as large pieces as possible. I wouldn't use vinyl tiles, as pee may seep between between tiles. You want something that cleans up any pee easily, and won't retain urine smell.

You should have 1 litter box/cat + 1 more; scoop at minium 2x/day. Use some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract to sprinkle on top. When cats are consistently using the litter boxes, have a washable scatter rug in your bedroom, so it's warmer on bare feet when you get out of bed. Hope some of these suggestions work for you.

Please get Elsie as soon as possible to the vet, as she may have a urinary infection....you really don't want to delay this. Borrow money if you have to.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Here's what I'd do:
Take Elsie to the vet as soon as possible as she may have a urinary or bladder infection. Don't delay this....borrow money if you have to.

Buy a "black light" (hardware or pet store) to highlight pee areas.

Throw out old bedroom carpet.

Paint over the pee areas with enamel (not acrylic) paint.

Floor covering----vinyl or linoleum installed in as large pieces as possible, don't use vinyl tiles, as there may be urine seep between them.

Have 1 litter box/cat + 1 more; scoop box minimum 2x/day; sprinkle Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter on top.

In livingroom or other areas of house, black light the pee areas and soak with Nature's Miracle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your cat is probably upset. If the urination started after her sister's death, she might still be affected by it (pets do grieve). Your best bet is to consult a cat behavorist for ideas. Your cat might just need extra attention. She might need therapy.

Also, get her checked out by a vet. I doubt anything is wrong, but who knows. I honestly think this might just be a behavorial issue better dealt with by a behavorist.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The moment my boy peed on the bed, I knew he needed to go to the vet. I definitely didn't have the money but I made things work anyway. I was so mad at myself I didn't pick up on the other signs he gave me, such as constantly licking his genitals, and the minimal amount of urine he was actually passing in the litter box (my SO insists on non-clumping litter).

With your cat, it could be grief, but it could definitely be a urinary problem and if so, it could turn into something much more horrific and costly if left untreated. I don't mean to scare you, but I'd seriously think about getting your cat to the vet and asking about a payment plan and/or borrowing money to cover the costs. You could also pay very close attention to her behaviors and research FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) or UTI in cats for warning signs. A good place I found during my cat's issues was catinfo.org.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Stress can and often does bring on urinary issues. I realize it's expensive but if your cat is in pain it needs your help.

Believe me, when I was unemployed it was *really* rough to have to budget in emergencies but it's part of owning a pet. I've spent a few weeks eating generic brand peanut butter on day old bread to fit in vet visits before.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Definitely get her checked out with the vet. All those other suggestions too.

Behaviorally, she probably first started having problems out of grief over her sister's death. But very likely she was additionally stressed when you and your husband and three kitties moving out. Cats like their homes to be both safe and familiar, and they become confused and stressed when things change — when people and other animals they have lived with leave, or other changes in their environment. It doesn't mean that nothing should ever change, but its usually possible to introduce changes in ways that aren't so stressful for cats.

Good luck!

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we have black light bulbs we bought at walmart. They don't show anything when we use them, even in areas where we know they've peed straight on the carpet.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I'm going to attempt to make it a "just check and see if she has any issues/prescribe prozac" kinda vet trip instead of a "give every shot known to man a cat could need" one for the time being. We'll see how that goes.

She peed on things off and on before her sister died. Basically all of my cats have/do. But when a spot smells like it, even the most litter box trained cat will use it, as you all know. My oldest cat only stopped peeing on things after we moved out to a location where half the stuff there didn't smell like pee. My dad ripped up all of the carpet in my bedroom yesterday and the difference in the smell is AMAZING compared to when the carpet/litter box was in there. He also brushed the floor twice with hydrogen peroxide.

Linolelum would be kind of expensive to get and put down, so I think ultimately we're just going to paint the floor and eventually get some throw rugs. Will enamel paint make the floor "water proof"? Seems kinda silly to paint if it's just ultimately going to sink into the concrete if someone pees there...

Like I said, given the amount of peeing we believe to have been done in there, Nature's Miracle is financially infeasible, being $30 for a gallon. I buy some now and then for spot treatments, but with the black light not showing ANYTHING, we just can't afford to do the whole room.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I think enamel paint is waterproof, but check with the paint or hardware store, maybe they have another suggestion. I'm surprised the black light doesn't seem to work...hmmmm?

Check with a flooring store....they often have an "end of roll" section where you they're marked down and you might find a piece big enough.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got Elsie a vet appointment for Monday. Maybe my dad won't hurt himself between now and then with her sporadic peeing on things and being cranky with the other cats.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Glad to hear you've got a vet appt. for Elsie....let us know the outcome. All the best!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts