Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a silver lined huge dish bowl set atop the entertainment center in the living room. We just poor 2 large cup fulls of dry-cat-cereal into it and let all the cats eat from it.

Is this good, or should they all be fed at seperate times. It doesnt look like any of them are fighting over it, and most of our cats are fat (except for 2, a brother and a sister, Billy and Jolie, who i think mgiht have fast metabalisms, or however its spealt). I dont think its a dangerous fat, i think it may be more of a healthy big-boned/mussle(SP?) fat. Because they are pretty heavy.

I have also noticed that Jolie and Cosmo both have a flab of loose skin just below the belly. It disapears thoe when they stretch their legs apart, is that just a side effect of fatness?.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Are they male cats? I have heard that males develop that after being neutered. Could just be a myth though.

From what I've heard, cats will regulate their eating. I suppose if it appears that they are gaining too much weight, then you would have to set feeding times.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well their not always eating, so i guess they do take breaks ^^.

Billy is male, and Jolie is female, but their the only cats that seem to have it i guess. I would have to check the others.

Edit: Wait, i just remembered that my 3 kittens have it to, im not sure about Posie (female) but the others do.

Edit #2: All the male cats have it, and 1 female cat: Jolie

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I recall when I take my cat to the vet, he feels his underside, ribs, etc. That might be to determine how much fat is on him. A vet might be the only one who can truly tell you if your cats are putting on undesirable pounds.

I'd say, unless you notice the food dish always being emptied and/or there is a noticeable weight gain, I don't think there is a worry. As long as your cats are active, that is a good sign.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well with out any pictures, or with out knowing what you vet has said about them, the only think you can ask yourself, is if they really are fat or not.

If the answer is yes, then it would be best to go to daily controlled feeding. Yes, supposidly cats regulate their food intake themselves, but that doesn't apply to every cat, specially cats who grew up out doors or as barn cats and learned to eat as much food as they could at one time, as often as they can, for fear someone else will take their food from them. 2 of my cats can not be free fed, they grow much to fat, but my 3rd would love to be free fed as she does not over eat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts