Cat Forum banner

Inconspicuous outdoor shelters

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LadyK 
#1 ·
With colder weather on the way, I'd like to set up an outdoor shelter for the two sweet ferals that I feed on my front porch. Does anyone know of a way to make the shelter not so noticeable to neighbors? I've seen the make-your-own Rubbermaid storage bin styles, and the feral cat houses they sell on Amazon, but I wonder if there are ways to disguise them so they look, I don't know.... less like a feral cat shelter and more like typical porch furniture?

I have a large covered front porch with a row of bushes in front of it. I also have a fenced backyard, but I have two dogs so I'd rather not have the shelter in the yard. Ideally, I'd find something to put on the porch or squeeze it between the porch and bushes. I live in a development with an HOA so I am trying to find a way to protect the cats without drawing attention from the people who think we shouldn't feed them.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I know what you mean. I took care of a feral cat colony of ten cats in a condo complex, and I didn't even try to fashion a winter outdoor shelter. One year a ground-floor unit was vacant, and the utility room open, so I put some various boxes with lots of hay inside. Worked until the unit got rented and I got too many complaints.
Black is hard to see from a distance, it kind of fades into the background. So I'd go with a black Rubbermaid storage bin style. If vegetation will survive the winter, I'd try to get a color similar to the vegetation. I'd put the storage bins behind the bushes. Less is more--so I certainly wouldn't put up a bird feeder nearby.
Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks. I may go ahead and do that. My husband just wants to put the shelter ON the porch -- he says the cats like it there because they eat, hang out, etc on the porch -- but I'd prefer putting it behind the bushes to keep it out of view. Now to find a black storage bin. Seems like so many nowadays are clear or bright colors!

#5 ·
I've also seen people use gardening boxes with holes cut in them (an entrance and exit in case of wildlife infiltrating). They use the pet-beds that warm from the body heat and continue to stay warm to provide extra comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052WJ0VG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0G0QAVTZVQD283NQ7YJB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

you could probably get cheap ones on Craigslist in the garden section and general sales..

#9 ·
No access under the porch.... it's concrete and brick all the way to the ground.

But thanks for the great ideas! You've given me a couple of things to consider. Hopefully I'll figure something out before too long -- just want to keep my little friends safe and warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.