Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
Pretty sure mama cat would lick their posteriors to encourage em to go when they have to, and just to clean em. They figure it out on their own though eventually. So if stinky, even just a wet papertowel is likely enough.

Wesley had a stinky butt though once, and as a gag since I had just given him a tiny bit of malt flavored vaseline stuff as a hairball remedy, I put some on his starfish too, lol! The expression on his face had me rolling, and it worked too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure mama cat would lick their posteriors to encourage em to go when they have to, and just to clean em. They figure it out on their own though eventually. So if stinky, even just a wet papertowel is likely enough.

Wesley had a stinky butt though once, and as a gag since I had just given him a tiny bit of malt flavored vaseline stuff as a hairball remedy, I put some on his starfish too, lol! The expression on his face had me rolling, and it worked too.
I tried that already and they just scooted along the carpet to wipe it off, lol.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My ex husband's cat (Anthony) came to us with his eyes still closed(and he was still damp from birth) so we had to raise him from an infant. That's what we did. Wipe his bottom with a warm damp washcloth. If the mess was *TOO* bad we'd hold him under the warm faucet in the bathroom :p So maybe he just learned to clean himself to prevent a bath.

A few times a day we would also take a clean warm (barely damp)washcloth and wipe his whole body down. (It's a good think both our workplaces didn't mind us bringing him in with us).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yep like everyone else said - when Tuffy was really small I used a warm damp cloth to clean him and eventually he just took over.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
They'll get the hang of things as they get older. I found my two were more interested in playing and less interested in grooming when they were babies. They started to groom more regularly at some point between 4 and 6 months. If your kitties are long-haired, you might want to keep them a little shorter at the back for now, to help them out. :smile:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I got Pumpkin at 6 weeks, and like everyone else said, I either used a warm wet papertowel or cat wipes from the petstore. She became a very fastidious cleaner around 10 weeks. When I got Simone a couple months later, Pumpkin used to clean him for me :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts