Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has had this cat for about 8 years. It used to be an indoor cat and about 5 years ago it was put outside (not clear on exactly why) Anyway as long as I have been around (3 years) The poor thing has gotten pregnant every time she was in heat. (I don't know why she wasn't spayed before, she is a pure blood siamese cat and they may have originally intended on breeding her) While she was outside she wasn't taken care of very well and often times never cared about her kittens and even was known to eat them. Very few kittens ever survived. My husband and I live in an apartment in his parents basement and my mother in law told me yesterday that she just had her most recent litter a couple days ago and that she herself was considering on bringing them inside. Yesterday I hunted them down and brought her and her kittens (3) inside. I put them in a box with a warm blanket, have been providing the mother with kitten food, (heard that is the best for a nursing mother), bathed her (oh what FUN that was :roll: ) and set up a litter box for her. She seemed somewhat leary at first of being brought back indoors because before whenever she was inside she was immediatly put back out. (I myself have been guilty of this) Infact when I set her and the kittens in the new box; she started to pick one of them up and run back out with it. I gently held her down and petted her for a few moments and when I felt her relax I let go and she has stayed with them in that box most of the time. She comes out occasionally and eats well (she can down a serving of cat food very fast, and I assume it is from lack of feeding before). For the first time since I have known this cat she seems to be very into the motherly instincts. (as I said she usually showed little interest in her kittens and would rarely nurse) When my daughter gets near she watches her very closely and even scratched her once when my daughter tried to play with one(which I took as a chance to show my daughter, who will be 2 in dec, that she doesn't play with the kittens yet she seems to understand now and stays back and views them from a safe distance) . I even took the kittens to show my inlaws and she tried to bring them right back down. And if anybody so much as walks towards the room they are in she runs to them and covers them very protectively. My questions are ...

1- When I set her in her litter box she didn't seem to be to interested. Will she remember the litter box, will I have to completely retrain her to use it, or will it come back to her after a few times of me putting her in it.

2-The mother wasn't very well fed or taken care of while she was pregnant, and I want these kittens to have a chance the others didn't have, is there andy extra precautions I should take with them?

3- When I bathed her I noticed she was still slightly bleeding, is that normal? (keep in mind she has had kittens almost every time she has been in heat)

4- I have never had any pet before and am only doing what I have read/been told, any suggestion that you can give me as to taking care of the newborns and the mother will help.

My in-laws told me today that they will take her to be spayed and have shots when they get paid next week, so she won't get pregnant again and so she will stay healthy.

Tanks in advance :D !!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, first off, welcome! :) You have come to the right place...you will get GREAT advice and support here.Thank you so much for tryng to do the right thing with this poor kitty and her babies. I have never had a cat that had kittens, so I'm afraid I will not be THAT much help, regarding details surrounding that. However, I do know cats pretty well :wink: First of all, she and the kittens should probably see a vet. Do you know if she is up to date on her vaccines? I am guessing she probably isn't :roll: I think a vet should check her out, and will probably be able o give you a lot of guidance. I'm sure you know that you should have her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned :) Cats catch on to things pretty quick, I think she will remember how to use her litter box with a little time and patience. Again, thank you SO MUCH for doing the right thing....keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ianthe. :) My inlaws, as I mentioned said they were going to take the cat to have her vaccinations updated since my husband and I can't afford a vet bil at the moment. I have felt horrible about the past litters and have wanted to bring her inside for quite some time. It wasn't until my mother-in-law mentioned she was thinking of doing the same that I did, because in the past they have all been against the idea of it being inside. Now that I have the ok from everybody I have jumped right on and am doing my best to take care of the poor things. I even convinced my husband to let me keep one of the kittens. (yay :) ) I will however be finding good homes for the other two.
I appreciate your imput and thank you for the wonderful welcome to the forum, I believe that this place will help me alot in my new role as pet owner. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
No problem :) I'm actually surprised you don't have more responses yet...I think the boards are a little slow tonight :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YAY!! Well there is one quetion answered.

I opted to put Siame's litter box in the bathroom, and when I went to use the bathroom I saw where she has already used it. *does a little dance* now for another question, is it typical for kittens to learn from their mother over time to use the litter box or will I have to train them as well?

I am a very happy owner at this point, little things like this makes me feel great about bringing her in, expecially when she has just come into my room to get away from the kittens and is now laying at my feet.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Pets are wonderful.....you will fall head over heels in love before you know what happened :) Mother cats usually teach their kittens about the litter box, just sit back and let her do the work :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Siame isn't hogging out on her food as much as she was at first. There is usually a bit left in her bowl. I am taking that as a sign that she isn't starving like she probablly was before (POOR THING) She still hardly leaves the kittens side. (when she was outside she never cared about her kittens like this) She seems happier now. I am so happy. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts