Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Has your vet/friend run any tests?

When you notice that your kitty is urinating outside of the litter box, the first step is to rule out medical issues with a Urinalysis and bladder radiographs (x-rays). The most common medical cause is “idiopathic stress-induced cystitis,” which accounts for approximately 75% of cases. This means that there is inflammation (and therefore pain and sense of urgency) within the bladder, but there is no identifiable cause. We do know that stress can precipitate these symptoms. Cats who are affected may have recurrent episodes with varying frequency throughout their lives if the underlying stressor is not identified and controlled (see below). The next most common cause is bladder stones, accounting for approximately 15% of medical cases, followed by urinary tract infections, which account for less than 5% of medical case. Less commonly, urinary crystals and bladder tumors are seen. If a medical problem is identified, your kitty will be treated in a way to resolve the underlying medical cause, and increase comfort.
If they're in pain when they pee, they'll avoid the litter box and pee on something soft. Like your couch.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Cats only poop in the litter box on days that don't end in "y" - nobody knows why.

Sorry. :giggle: If I knew how cats think, I'd be a millionaire. Mine used to greet me after work with a glass of Bailey's and slippers. Now I come home and they're on Next Door inviting tomcats over after I leave for work the next day.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I really do hope your vet has some answers for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts