Cat Forum banner

Indoor kitten advice- Russian Blue's

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  catsinthegarden 
#1 · (Edited)
My brother is considering getting 2 kittens for his flat (Russian Blue breed) so I was hoping for a little advice especially as it's been a long time since mine were kittens (and I've only ever had outdoor cats with a garden). He will be out at work during the day so most of the help I need comes from making them safe/happy during that time. I remember when mine were kittens it was a fun but quite demanding time! But they were also to become outdoor cats so I don't have experience with indoor cats. Here are some issues going through my head:

1. I am a little worried about them attacking wires. He says he will tidy them up before but I still think they may be able to get to them. I don't remember having many issues with my cats chewing them as kittens though, so should that be a concern?

2. His floors are pretty solid hardwood and not allowed carpet (underfloor heating) so makes me a little concerned with any kitten falls and he does have one set of curtains up (it's still a new flat luckily so he's going so pass on getting any more now!). I remember mine used to love climbing curtains and could fall down with a bit of a bang after. I guess he needs to ensure he has a rug or something cushioning under any high places they can reach (bookshelves too)?

3. His flat is pretty open plan so could a playpen for during the day be a good idea? Something not fully enclosed so they can enter and exit when they want. Main idea being to hold their toys and playthings so that they aren't scattered all over the flat each time he comes home! Something which has an entrance for them to go in and out, or even a low one which they could just jump over. I haven't had much luck finding ideas online though, most I've seen are enclosed cages which look horrible. Maybe I can just construct something for them!

4. Kittens need feeding 4 times a day so his idea was to use an automated feeder during the day when he's not around for their mealtimes. Is there anything wrong with feeding kittens dried food like this? I only ever fed my kittens wet food, but someone was always around to feed them back then. It would concern me that one of them might not be getting as much as the other, but I guess he could usually tell if one is more hungry when he's home? I'm not aware of too many dried kitten food varieties though outside of Whiskas UK here which have very different cat food brands to US). I use a cat foodmaze/tower when feeding my cats dried food, which I find great as it makes them eat slower and requires energy to get- not sure this is suitable idea for when they are kittens though.

5. How concerned should he be about any open windows? The windows are lower and within reach for cats to jump to, and his floor is high up in the flat block. He's found possible fitted mesh window coverings he could use which are very effective for cats going by reviews. So I guess he'd need to put these over any window he opens. Would they learn over time or would it need to be something kept on permanently for their whole lives?

6. Could they get bored or upset during the day when he's away? He wants two so that they can play and keep each other company, and they will have toys and a cat tower to climb and sleep in. Obviously a cat litter tray (which hopefully won't take too long to train them to use!) and water bowls too. And maybe even a camera to keep an eye on them during the day! Anything else I'm forgetting for indoor kittens?

Any other kitten advice or specific advice for Russian Blue's much appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
When I got the twins, I was working, so they were fed when I got up, when I got home and before bedtime. I wouldn't do the automatic feeder, if only because what if one eats the food and the other goes hungry. Charlee is a fur-covered Hoover and Cali wasn't into food at all. I like to keep track of who eats what, so I know if one of them is having an off day or may not be well.

I took my curtains down, couldn't keep the little monkeys off of them. They did, thankfully, grow out of that. I'm fortunate that none of my girls have ever bothered with wires. I think your brother should, for now, spray them with Bitter Apple (the wires, not the kittens :) ) or get wire covers.

When I come home, I find toys in every room. Sometimes in their water bowl. The toys wouldn't stay in the playpen or box or whatever.

The windows should always have something in them to stop the cats from jumping out. They could be distracted by a bird or butterfly or whatever and try to catch it. One of my girls stepped off the top of a tall cat tree trying to catch a fly. Luckily I was right there and caught her. Although, she would have been fine, since she jumped from the top all the time.

If your brother is getting the kittens from a responsible breeder (and it's great that he's getting two), they'll be at least 10 weeks old and already litter trained.

Take lots of pictures, you probably remember how fast they grow!

#3 ·
I'm heading down on Saturday to finally help him get the kittens and settle them in. :)

The windows should always have something in them to stop the cats from jumping out.
Can I ask what you'd recommend? This site does window covers or I guess we could use something like garden mesh to cover the windows. Flat Cats Window Protection Screens for Cats

His flat isn't the biggest so we were considering putting their litter tray in the airing cupboard partly due to smell and to keep it out the way. Would just leave the door open at first but an idea could be to put a cat-flap on it long term, would the kittens/cats use it just to do their business?

Also if anyone has any specific advice/tips for Russian Blues it would be really appreciated- I know they are a common breed so hoped some people on here would have some :)

#4 ·
The kittens are lovely and a load of fun to play with and watch playing :)

The biggest issue though is the windows. They open inwards so Im struggling to see how we can put a protective covering over. We're not allowed to fit anything on the outside of the apartment plus its 24 floors high! All I can think is some very strong netting but can we trust it wouldn't rip?

Currently hes just adjusting the windows so they can only open a tiny amount, which is fine for winter. Come summer though when it gets very very hot in there (its UK so no air conditioning and gets loads of sunlight), he has to find another solution (yes he should have thought of this before getting them, I did try and alert him to potential problems). Any ideas as to what can be fitted on the inside?

#7 ·
Here they are, as you can see they open inwards so the options for covering them seem limited. I'm going to recommend he speaks to the manager of the flats about it, as I can't see what can be put on the inside (especially as the windows sometimes swing a little when high wind), but maybe he can stick some solid mesh wire to the outside of the window (but due to fire safety regs I'm not sure if they'll allow it?). Another problem is that the small hallway outside the flat has windows which automatically open in summer- and the kittens being so inquisitive do like getting out to explore the hall sometimes! So that's another thing I think he must discuss with the management soon.

He is more laidback than me, but when I am down there to see them, whenever a window is even open just a fraction I am always a bit nervous that the window could blow open with a large gust and something could happen if I'm not watching (even though they've shown little interest in the windows so far thankfully) - I couldn't live with this risk for long. As the windows are all low enough for them to reach by jumping, it's so infuriating there are no high windows which can be opened (it's a new flat he bought just over a year ago).

Any advice much appreciated please ?

Attachments

#8 ·
That would make me nervous, too . . . he's waaay up there!

It looks like there's a channel running around the edge on the outside. Maybe a piece of plexiglass could be cut so it fits side to side, and goes far enough up to keep the cats from jumping over it. You'd have to see if the plexiglass would flex enough to allow you to get it into both sides, then let it drop into the bottom channel. It would need to fit tightly enough that it wouldn't fall out and injure someone below.

#9 ·
So would this plexiglass material just leave a gap at the top for air to pass through? If so then it's a possibility but not ideal as it wouldn't let lots of air in, but thanks for the idea it's a definite possibility ? . I just had an idea of using a garden mesh material as a sheet to lay across the open window and then fasten tightly all around it with duct tape, I feel like if it's taped in firmly then it would be strong enough to hold and resist damage? This type of material sheet:
Garden mesh

#10 ·
Oh, of course! It didn't occur to me that the plexiglass would defeat the whole purpose of opening the window. Actually I was thinking that it would only have to go up high enough that the kitties couldn't jump over it.

That mesh might work, especially if you could attach it to some sort of frame that would sit inside the opening. I've used a similar material (with wider spacing) to make a compost pile, and it tends to be very springy. Not sure duct tape would hold it securely.

What do people in that building do if they have young children? Never open the windows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.