Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My vet always tells me that my cats will live longer happier lives if I keep them in the house. I disagree and think they are meant to be outside enjoying the world as well as my home. I am wondering what the consensus is around here? :) Ang

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If a cat gets used to being outdoors, it will most likely not be content to live inside. However if you bring it up from kittenhood as an indoor cat (more than one cat is better because they always have a companion and playmate) they can live happy lives safe inside.

Read the recent thread entitled "Missing" to see how a cat owner's heart is broken by their cat wandering away and not returning. :cry:

There are far too many dangers for cats and even though they can defend themselves against some of them, they have no chance against a car, an animal abuser or a large predator.

·
Registered
676 Posts
INDOOR ONLY.

Pending any ferals which are incapabile of being reabilitated to the indoors that is.
It is safer for them, i'd take their life over any "oh, well he likes to bath in the sun" statement, or the "he never leaves our front yard" which countless times I have found to be untrue, and unfortuantly at the cost of said cats life.
Plus the more you are around them, and actually living with them and interacting with them, you have a better chance of forming a stronger bond.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
AngelZoo said:
Pending any ferals which are incapabile of being reabilitated to the indoors that is.
I 'somewhat' disagree with that. I've tamed several ferals and they all got used to the indoors.. And a couple ended up being afraid of the outdoors!

But MOST of them love the outdoors. But the feral part of it makes it mpre hard to let them out, for fear they really will never come back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!!!

You guys are pretty one way on this one!!! :) I have never lost a cat to a car or runaway so I can't really imagine it not being right for them to be outside. Do you all mostly live in rural or residential areas, larger cities? If I was in a major urban center I would definately keep my kits inside but we are in a semi-rural area and they love it out there. I guess it is important to start them inside as kittens so that they don't know the difference maybe. Thanks for your replies!!! Ang :D

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Of course all we can do is relate our personal experiences. You asked for our opinions, which are shaped by experience. :) I live in a semi-rural area and lost my sixteen year old very special cat to a car. :( She loved it outside too, until she got killed.

The two cats I have now have never been outside, and are happy, playful pets.

You can build a shelter with wire on all sides and top and put dead tree branches and other interesting things for them to do. And you can put a kitty door leading to the house. This link shows a very roomy one:

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item.p ... _id=754144

·
Registered
84 Posts
My cats are indoor cats but have the nice option of going into our fenced-in backyard for a few hours a week when we are home. They love it but I would never have them in an unsupervised area that isn't fenced in.

A sign up at my vets said that indoors cats live as an average to 12-15 years, while the average outdoor only cat lives 1-2 years.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I lived in the country.. Lost.. 3 cats in 3 years to cars.. 2 cats lost a body part in 2 years.. AND I've been through 3 runaway cats. (or my grandma secretly getting rid of them :evil: )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must have lived an exception!!! My favortie cat of my life was Willow whom I got as a small child and she didn't pass until 19 and half, my other is Sam who is 17 and still kicking.... they both have always been indoor/outdoor. Weird hey, I don't think it is bad to keep your cats inside... if anyone thought I meant that... I certainly didn't mean to imply it.... I was just wondering what you all do for your cat care. Being new, I thought it would be a good way to get to know you all.

I love that cat pen!!! I would definately keep my cats indoor if they had access to something like that -- is that thing ever neat,, doesn't look like something that would be crazy expensive either. Do any of you have something like that? Ang

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I don't have one, but that's because I don't have anyone in the family who could build it! My father and brother were both carpenters, and I'm sure they would have it up in a matter of hours. Unfortunately, they're gone. I'm sure there are plans on the internet. I think a husband and wife could easily put it together. Just make sure everything is plum and square! Good luck. If you do it, we want pictures! :)

You can imagine how I felt when I lost a cat after loving her for sixteen years. She had become a step too slow, and the traffic had increased gradually. I found it hard to believe. She was so careful. I'll never forget that night. :( It's not nice to have favorites, I guess, but she was one of four cats, and I loved her the most. She was my baby.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh just like a dogs outside kennal! My dad has made a kennal connected to his garage(where he is most the time) and had a BIG dog door (because they're lab-sized). They could go out and in as they pleased. But he also added something so they couldn't get out without him knowing.. Anyway, he ended up NOT using it even though it was cool.. So they just run free.. He now has built a pig/chicken pen and a fence around his yard to keep a wild dog(or a fox as they say..) away from his chickens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't help but have a favorite. My bad!!! Willow was my first pet and my baby... she loved me so much. She trusted me enough that when it was time for her kittens (only one bunch) she went under the blankets on my bed and had them ON my little legs. Imagine the horror when at eight I screamed and ran to tell my mom that I had peed the bed!!! I was in some trouble until mom went to clean my bedding and there was Willow with her three kittens under my quilt. She was so special to me, sometime I will scan a pic of her and post it as my avatar... she now sleeps beneath a lovely lilac.... :cry: Angela

We are gonna have snow soon but I would definately consider building something like that for my cats in the spring... I think my husband would actually go for it. I only worry that a bear or coyote might rip into and have my kits as snacks -- I guess it is pretty unlikely!!! Ang :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My cat started out outdoor only at my parents house (for 3-4 months) and then went indoors with me in my apartment. She adjusted very well and is content to be indoors, except for when we visit my parents...she knows she used to be allowed to go outdoors there and wants to go out and be with my parent's cats...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I don't have cats now because like a dummy I let them out and sure enough they never returned. I live in the country, but it makes no difference. There are actually more dangers here I think. Stray dogs, coyotes etc.
Anyway..... My husband is a builder and we've been discussing starting a business building cat enclosures. They can be custom made (not outrageously expensive) so they fit with your house well and provide whatever the cat needs. If you'd want to keep the litter box in an area outside we could make a special area just for that. Also steps to jump around on. They have an outdoor door so people can get in and the cat can access from inside either through a window or an installed kitty door with a lock in/out option. We'd work locally mostly, but we thought we'd provide plans online or can ship in easy to assemble panels. If any of you are think this is a good idea or are interested would you please email me and let me know? Just wanting a little feedback from other cat people...

Can I post this in a new thread? I'm not trying to do business just some market interest and research. I hope no one is offended.

My husband actually did one job where he built an entire room for a mans African Grey Parrots. That was pretty cool with bird baths and fun stuff. Pet play places! Course if you live with African Grey's they really need their own house :shock:

Jadeycat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts