Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this wasn't the best time to adopt cats but I felt I had to because of their abandonment. I am a first time grandma just 3 days ago and I want to go up to my daughter's every so often to see my new grandbaby. It is far enough so I have to stay overnight. I usually hire someone to stay at my house but honestly I can't afford that going forward. The cats go in and out as they wish but I usually trap them in the house at night. I don't think I can keep the two together if I lock them in while I am gone so I would have to lock one up in a bedroom.

1. Do I leave out food and let them come and go the whole time?

2. Do I lock the skiddish one who hates being in the house in a room by himself (he is the trouble maker) or

3. Do I lock the sweet one in a bedroom, who also hates to be locked up, but usually is in the house and let Mr. Macho have the house?

I sure don't want peeing or anything.

thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've gone on vacation and kept my indoor/outdoor cats in the whole time. I had someone check on them every other day or so and they were fine (though they usually hide from whoever's checking.) My cats eat only dry food. (I know, I know, but I've tried every kind of wet food imaginable and the best I could do was have them lick the gravy, and one of them won't eat any "people food" of any kind either.) I wouldn't let them go out while I was gone - there are too many things that could go wrong. I just make sure they have plenty of water (I leave out extra bowls), lots of food, and clean litter before I go.

Why don't you want the cats together? Unless they are brawling, I wouldn't lock either of them up. They'll keep each other company, and if they aren't interested in being around each other, they'll have the whole house to roam.

I'd try leaving them together in the house once and see how it goes. You'll know if you come home to chaos if it's not going to work.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've not had multiple cats when going on vacation, however I had the one and with her I tried to keep everything as much as possible like it would be if I were there.

That meant leaving her have free access of the cat flap. She could come and go as she pleased. Most of the time she would spend her time in the bedroom, sleeping on the bed.
There was NO way I could lock the house up because she would NOT go to the toilet in a litter box. I tried and tried.
My only option was to let her have access to outside.
I had someone come over to feed her and sit with her for 15 or 20 minutes a couple of times a day. That seemed to work fine.

As far as something going wrong, I suppose it could have but no more so then if I were there and the house can offer it's own unforeseen hazards as well.
I gave the sitter our hotel number and she knew the vet we used, in fact she used the same vet for her dog. Should anything have gone way wrong we would have been notified and adjusted plans accordingly.

I have done weekend trips, 2 nites, three days where I didn't bother with a sitter. Obviously making sure she had plenty of food and water.

I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving her alone longer then 2 nights without someone to at the minimum check on her. That was my limit. Anything longer, was well worth a sitter to me.

I didn't pay my sitter, we traded favors. I would go and sit her dog for her weekend trips. I did one vacation but that wasn't ideal since I couldn't always walk her dog, it was an emergency arrangement and I did walk her as much as I could.
But I was a perfect sitter for a few weekend trips for her.

Maybe you could work out an arrangement with someone like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts