Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not hear a lot about people letting their cats be indoor/outdoor cats. I know a lot of shelters won't let you adopt cats if you intend to let them outside at all. However, it is what works for us, and what makes Oliver happy, and I hope to at least see some others here that have a similar situation with their cats. :eek:rcat

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have a problem with cats being indoor/outdoor if it's in an enclosure, free roaming cats are different and not something I agree with at all.

I only adopt kittens out to those who will keep them indoors, access to an enclosure or walking on a harness/leash is fine.

Too many risks letting cats roam, and not fair to neighbours either.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
It's also a cultural thing. In many other countries, it's considered normal for cats to be inside/outside. It's also a "safety" thing. I'd love to let my girls out, but it's not safe where I live. Heck, I'd stay inside myself if I didn't have to work. :grin:

But this debate has been done to death here, there's no right or wrong.

[picture "beating dead horse" graphic here]

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I think it depends on each individual situation and cat. To give a blanket statement like cats are bad for birds/neighbours/get hit by cars is not always the case. Many cats live to an old age as indoor/outdoor, don't go after wildlife, don't roam farther than your backyard despite the ability to do so, the neighbours might actually love the cat, the cat might avoid cars or you may live in an area without cars, and so on... it's not back and white.

If it works for you and you feel it's the best thing for your cat, I'm not holding it against you, even if it's not the popural North American opinion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wouldn't mind if I had an enclosure for Milky to go out to play in, however, I don't, so my only choice is to keep Milky indoors where it is safe for him. We live in an apartment in Hong Kong where it's a bustling city as you may know. Cars zooming by, not many parks around, and generally only highrise buildings. We do however, take Milky out on a regular basis, and if it's just nearby, we take him out on a leash so he doesn't run too far.

It is my dream to have an outside enclosure play area for Milky, so if I ever become filthy rich (as you need to be in HK in order to afford a decent roof over your head), I will give Milky his own playroom and part of our garden. It's a dream, but for now the reality is that he'll have to remain indoors unless we take him out. He's ok with it though, cos he gets to see the night lights of the nearby streets from the 23rd floor :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.