Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned about a cat that passes by our yard; he's sick obviously, is very thin, his fur looks rough and worse of all has bald patches and sores.
We have always put cat food out for anybody passing by; probably a mistake but we're very soft hearted :cry:
Earlier today I looked out and noticed blood by the food dish; I think a sore ruptured.
I have an indoor cat plus I'm concerned for the neigborhood cats. I've been thinking of trapping him and take him to the vet, I don't know what he has but likely he'll have to be put to sleep. I feel very bad about it..please tell me I'm doing the right thing.
Rosalie

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You are a very kind person for wanting to help him. He sounds like he is in a lot of pain, poor guy :cry: Take him to the vet (if you can) and see what they say. And bless you for being such a good caring person :) Keep us posted

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now getting a trap

Thank-you so very much, your words make me feel much better. The vet office told me they had no traps :? This is the 1st time I'd trap a cat_no way getting close to him, he'd eat, sleep on the porch, even stay around people but bolts if one gets closer than 5 ft or so_
so being a novice in this I'm just doing what I read about.
The closest shelter is another town so my options are;
buying, building or..maybe I can try the shelter if the'd rent me a trap? (doubtful tho since we adopted one of their cats..)I saw them in e-Bay too. How about my city Animal control?
Actually, I will need a trap later on because my husband feeds some ferals that I'd like to TNR.
Any ideas in getting a trap? Thank-you very much; I appreciatte so this forum.
Rosalie

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well, since he'll let you close, but not TOO close. Could you just try putting the food inside a cat carrier and then, watching, and when he goes inside, pushing the door shut with something...like a long handled broom?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an idea..I've a plastic carrier w/ door on a extreme; I could use that.
Has anybody else done something similar with a reg cat carrier? I'll have to get a trap anyways for other ferals.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
:oops: I saw them do it with a regular carrier on Animal Planets "Animal Cops Detroit". :oops: The investigator shut the door with a control stick.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The Animal Cops have lots of practice. I wouldn't recommend trying it with a carrier. You'll swing the door shut, he'll turn around in about a nanosecond and hit the door at 90 miles an hour, out he'll fly, and you will have destroyed the trust you've worked so hard to build.

Most shelters will rent you a trap. It's worth doing right. And it's the kindest and best thing for the cat.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kits mom and Dr. Jean; I'll call the shelter..hopefully :?: the'll rent me a trap..thanks again

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! They told me at the shelter that I can borrow a trap from them so that part is accomplished! Updates to come..
Thank-you for your support.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Well..nothing much is going on. He didn't come for 2 days and I thought that was it, died or something.
Last night he showed up in the yard, he looks the same. I gave him some ground turkey_of course he doesn't get close but I left it and went back in the house watching him from a window. He waited until I closed the door and ate voraciusly, so I gave him a second helping wich he ate.
Then he kept on walking.
Something I forgot to mention before is that he meows constantly when walking; sort of a plaintive meow, but not a howl. Reminds me of cats roaming for females. That's what I thought when I first heard him, about some weeks ago.
What that constant meowing could be, I suppose related to his condition & he must be in pain or his mind is affected?
It is going to be difficult to trap him since I don't know when he'd show up.
Can't leave bait out because so many neighborhood cats are around, etc..but I'll try.
I do want to thank-you for all the support you give me, it means a lot to me.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Try to put the food for him at the same place each time. Is he coming on a regular schedule each night? If he does that it means he is hungry that time of the day so you need to take advantage of it.
Put the trap right near the spot where he usually eats. Cover it with a sheet or towel so he can get used to the shape and smells. When the right timing has come (as soon as possible considering the facts) set a very small (tip of a tsp) amount of food where he will lay the first step in the cage, straight on the ground between the bars of the cage. Then put a fairly big amount under the cage, in the very back - so he walks the length where the trap can close. It is best to put the food straight on the ground at the back of the cage and then lay the trap straight on it (the food will slide up through the thin bars) because if you set a bowl with food there he might get hurt while trapped inside - he won't like it.
The reason you have to put a towel on the trap is to make it look like a tunnel - at the end of which there is the food.
Use canned food - TNR operations also suggest mackerel - having a strong smell to it. I had success with plain canned food -since I had to make sure the cats were extremely hungry.
Keep the cage covered to make it as less stressful as possible for him. The more he is able to see he cannot get outside the more he will hurt himself against the walls of the cage. The darkness provided by the towel or sheet will keep him calm.
Warn your neighbours not to make sudden noises; you could sit at a distance - where he could not see you to make sure no other animal is accidentally trapped and so that you can take him in as soon as he is gets in.
Let him covered overnight or until you can take him to the vet. Also make sure he isn't too hot or too cold.
I have set fans in the garage for the cats that are recovering in the cages after having been spayed /neutered. I have to change the newspapers from underneath the cages on a regualr basis since there is no other way for them to go potty. Also protect your car while you take him in - lay the cage in a card board box, lay newpapers because accidents may happen.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes
I can't forget to mention that is so nice of you to try and take him to the vet :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I can't wait until I see an update on this post and you have caught him :D I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed every day that you will be able to catch him.....and again, you are SUCH a sweetheart to help him :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

He hasn't been around since last time I talked to you..whatever happened I hope it's for the best. Of course he might come over at a time I don't see him and since there are several cats that pass by I can't count on food eaten as a sign he was there.
I'm very grateful to all of you for feedback, encouragement and valious tips that I hope to use sometime in the future.
Thanks again,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts