Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our male cat was at the vet for two nights this weekend. It turns out he has an inflamed urinary tract. His bladder was totally block and he was in agony.

He fits the profile:

Male
Spayed
Dry food diet
Overweight

He had a catheter in for 24 hours and he can wee again no problem; his bladder is not blocking up again which is good.

We're going to now feed him wet food and a restricted diet so he loses weight. The vet won't say categorically that this won't return again. If it comes back soon we will have to have the poor guy put down. :( He's not insured and this cost a lot of money. It's not that he's not worth it but we simply couldn't put us both through this on a regular basis.

It seems quite a common condition anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it recurred at all.

We're going to do everything we can to get him out of the high risk zone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I had this problem as well with my guy when I got him. It took two trips to the vet for us to get it under control.

First he *has* to come off the dried food. It is what contributed (if not caused) his obesity and his urinary problems.

He needs to lose weight slowly, dropping weight fast for a cat is dangerous and can lead to higher vet bills. See Doodlebug and Aunt Crazy's comments on this thread: http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/143864-diet-opinions.html

Another thing that may help him is adding some water to his canned food and making it like a thick batter. This will force more water into him and help flush out his urinary tract.

The quicker you can see there is a problem the lower your vet will be, imo. The second time I got lucky, I noticed him paying a LOT of attention to his privates and I noticed a decrease in urine in his box and I got him to the vet before he had to be catheter-ed a second time and didn't need to stay. That lowered the vet bill from 500+ the first trip to 200 the second trip.

I hope he feels better soon and please let us know how it's going!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great to know, thanks.

So you have only had one recurrence? How long were you between vet visits?

I just got back from the vet. She said he's lucky because there's are hardly any crystals in his urine. However, even with all the changes made she said a recurrence is likely though hopefully it won't require a catheter.

I hate this; it's like being on a knife edge.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It was a few years back.... I think it was about a month apart.

What canned food are you going to feed him?

This doesn't have to be a death sentence for him, with proper food and a little extra care he'll be absolutely perfect. :)

I had only had MowMow a few days before his issues started and I was so upset that I had adopted a 'sick' cat, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with him now :) I always wondered if that's why his people sent him to the shelter. That he had those issues and with his allergies he was always sick. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel a lot better already from what you said. I think the key is to nip it in the bud now like you have done.

I'm really pleased your guy is doing well. :)

You don't realise how attached you are to your cats until something like this happens.

We're currently feeding him Whiskas jelly pouches. They are cereal-free although they do have a little veg protein in. Is that good/bad? There's doesn't seem to be much choice over here in the UK. they nearly all have cereals in them.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
We have LOTS of posters from the UK and I'm sure some of them can jump in with some great grain free brands of cat food that will help your guy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can order online from Zooplus, their brand Smilla is cheap (about the same price as Whiskas) and much better quality than Whiskas. If you can afford better quality wet food (less by-products, more meat) you can find a fine range on their site (Applaws, Bozita, Grau...) What caused the blockage, was it crystals? It's generally recommended to avoid fish flavors in cats who have this problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for this. Smilla looks good.

She said there were hardly any crystals in his urine and that is was more from an inflamation. Is that good/bad?

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
I was wondering if adding a water fountain would help to encourage him drink more? Of coarse a quality wet food is the key.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vet suggested that. We were keen not to change his routine too much in one go as he gets easily stressed with changes. In fact, we think a change it his litter might have contributed to the problem as well. We're back to his old stuff now and he seems quite happy with it

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
I think scented litter is a big offender with UTI issues. Most cats are fascinated with water sounds. The thing you need to do with your cat is keeping him hydrated thus the wet food and water fountain to keep kidneys flushed. I know fountains are expensive but cheaper in a long run than vet bills.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It makes sense. Him and his sister both love drinking water dripping from the bath tap. I guess water in a bowl quickly loses its oxygen content or something.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
I live in the desert so keeping hydrated is a big thing here. My cats werent drinking much water. They love drinking from a pumpkin looking piture. Go figure. I bought a fountain and the piture going for them! Hope your kitty pulls thru this and it will be just a bad episode from the past.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, it's helped no end just to hear some positive advice here. I spoke to my sister who used to work in pet insurance and she said domestic tabbies like ours are so rarely ill they hardly ever insured them. She corroborated what you said that if he is ill again we will get it early and it will be fixed easier—and more cheaply.

Right now, he couldn't be happier. He's sat behind me on his cushion half asleep and looking very content. It's his sister I feel sorry for; ever since he came back he obviously smells of the vets and other animals and she thinks he's an impostor!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My childhood kitties (still alive, living with my parents), one has the exact same issue. Emergency vet trip, trying to pee and only spots of blood came out, catheter-ed, stayed over night. $800 later, home and on an RX diet. Removed from the RX diet after some research (it's crap ingredients), and now he's on an all wet food diet. He has not had a single re-occurrence (been like 5 years). He's healthy, active, and doing great.

We mix 1/4c warm water (filtered) with 5.5oz Natural Balance grain free wet food every day for his total feeding. We split it into two meals, 1/8c water + Half can, 2x a day.

Good luck with him. :) He should be fine as long as he's on a healthy wet only diet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's early days but he's doing great and actually seems a lot more relaxed since his two day say at the vets. I have put a water bowl in my office where he usually sleeps during the day and he keeps using it.

He sister is finally starting to accept him back!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have never dealt with this medical issue so I can't help with that BUT I can give you my experience on fountains and adding more water to the diet.

My 15 year old cat hates fountains. I introduced it to her recently as I was concerned about her water intake and heard only good things about them. Using positive training and lots of treats, I can get her to put her nose near the water but she won't drink lol

My 2 kittens LOVE their water fountain but it has become a toy. They splash the water all over the floor LOL Of course they are 8 weeks so everything is a toy. I am hoping this play will encourage them to love it as an adult.

Most folks on here say their cat took to the fountain without issue so my cat seems to be in the minority with this. I just wanted you to be aware of it.

Now, I do add a small amount of water to her canned food. I try not to add too much as she is not a big eater. She is a Maine **** that weighs around 7lbs and has always been on the thin side. I want to make sure she gets the calories she needs. Since you cat doesn't seem to have an eating issue LOL this might also help fill him up and cut calories for him.

cutting the extra weight has its own issues depending on how much he needs to lose. Be careful restricting the diet. Personally I would put him on a grain free canned food. I know these are pricey so you have to check with your budget. I find grains put too much bulk on a cat. With grain free you get a sleek cat with more muscle. Shop around and look for sales and deals on them.

Besides restricted the food, encourage him to move more. This is the best way for him to trim down. Buy some ping pong balls, a laser toy and/or get him a cat condo that encourages him to move.
Also, you can try the cat harnesses and leads to start walking him. Some cats take to this right a way while others need time to adjust. The walk is also good for you :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that. I think we will try the foundation in the next couple of weeks. They both love drinking from dripping taps so I think they'll take to a fountain.

I totally agree on the food front.

He weighs close to 6kg (not sure what that is is pounds, I would guess about 13 so he's nearly double yours!). Although he is clearly overweight the vet said he is a very big cat so their 3.5kg to 4.5kg recommendation doesn't really apply to him. We're taking a very slow approach to weight loss based on what people have said. He absolutely lives for chasing his laser pen so we're making a point of doing more of that! I'll see if he can lose half a kilo/one pound in the next few months and take it from there.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Something else you can try are interactive cat food bowls. This will stimulate his brain and reduce boredom eating. It will also force him to slow down on meal time.

I am not sure how well they work with wet food and you might be able to come up with and make your own. I bowl like this that you can add canned food would be the biggest hit ever with cats and owners!!!

Stimulo cat bowl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts