Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the vet, and my 9 year old cat has Inflammatory bowel disease. They gave 2 different kinds of pills to giver her for the next few weeks, and we are suppose to change her to a hypoallergenic diet. The vet didn't give any brand names, he just said to try some with rabbit, rice or fish. Just something other than the usual chicken/beef. I forgot to ask the vet, but it should be ok to give her canned version of this food also, right? I know it wont be easy giving her pills, so I would like to just hide it in her food.

What is the best food to give her? Is Royal Canin or Blue Wilderness really good?

Here is a little information on her. We got her in December from someone on Craiglist for free and ever since we got her she has had wet and runny stools, it has never been hard. We went to the vet a few months ago and they gave her a different kind of medicine, it helped a little but she ended up going back to how she was after the medicine ran out. Hopefully the new medicine and diet help.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
786 Posts
She should be on a grain free wet only diet. The prescription diets vets recommend are garbage and full of grain(which your cat can't digest). My one cat has this and after I switched her to grain free can she has never had a loose stool since.

Blue wilderness is good as is evo, weruva, wellness core, Merricks before grain, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would agree to the above, only I would say do not change to raw straight away when there is a particularly bad flare up. Try some plain boiled chicken breast in small bits, settles any poorly tummy my bengal or egyptian mau have ever had, then move on to raw. Wait until symptoms calm a little. I know they will never go away, but they tend to go from bad, to ease off slightly, then bad again.

Just stay positive and and give your baby some love and scratches behind the ears from me!

Mia xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fair enough, what worked for yours did not work for mine, so we will have to agree to disagree, different things work with different tummies. my bengal is a fussy bugger anyway. I picked up all of my tips at shows and from my breeders. None of them have ever failed me so far. I don't listen to my vet as he knows nothing when it comes to my boys' dietary needs. xxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I am kind of interested in the raw food diet, I will have to look into it more I'm not even sure where you buy the meat from? I will have to read the raw diet forum.

For now I went with Blue Wilderness in duck flavor dry food and a couple cans of wet food in the same brand. She loves it so far. I stopped her a month ago on wet food because I thought that was the reason for the diarrhea(before then she had wet food at least twice a day) so she is really happy since she prefers that over dry.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, at least she likes it. I couldn't get my cats to eat Blue Wilderness. I don't know why... they eat Wellness grain free and Evo, and pretty much anything else I've put in front of them. Oh well. I'm glad I only bought a couple of cans to try it out instead of a whole case. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts