Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old topic here, but I just wanted to add that I had a cat who lived to be 19 and she was only fed canned food (Fancy Feast). We had to have her put to sleep in October because she was in severe pain with arthritis and hip dysplasia and she had stopped eating. Being on the canned food only, she did very well other than her teeth getting bad towards the end. I would definitely recommend a diet of canned and some dry for the teeth.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I believe a few studies have shown that dry food MIGHT POSSIBLY have a SLIGHT effect on teeth... but honestly, if they did then feeding a few kibbles (or even crunchy treats) once a day would have the same effect of them being fed nothing but dry food.

Honestly, a good dental hygiene program is really better than depending on food to do the work for you.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
OsnobunnieO said:
I believe a few studies have shown that dry food MIGHT POSSIBLY have a SLIGHT effect on teeth... but honestly, if they did then feeding a few kibbles (or even crunchy treats) once a day would have the same effect of them being fed nothing but dry food.

Honestly, a good dental hygiene program is really better than depending on food to do the work for you.
The studies show that dry food produces slightly less tartar than wet food. That's it. That's the whole benefit.

So I heartily agree with you on that second paragraph.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What should I do

I was just told that the kitten food Im giving my cat is no good, and now I read this so... OK Im gonna start giving Mischief canned food but my problem is I leave myhouse at 8:30 am and dont come back 'till 6. My boyfriend plays with the kitty while he's home but he wont worry about feeding her. My question is how much shpuld I feed her, how often and what do I do while Im gone?. BTW she's about 3 months old

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: What should I do

Vanessatx said:
I was just told that the kitten food Im giving my cat is no good, and now I read this so... OK Im gonna start giving Mischief canned food but my problem is I leave myhouse at 8:30 am and dont come back 'till 6. My boyfriend plays with the kitty while he's home but he wont worry about feeding her. My question is how much shpuld I feed her, how often and what do I do while Im gone?. BTW she's about 3 months old
As an unspayed kitten, she should have access to food at all times. Leave out the dry (hey, even finish that bag of Meow Mix!) and give her canned at mealtimes. After her spay operation, remove the dry food and have her only on the canned. She won't starve while you're at work, I promise. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK, thank you on that tip. I really dont want anyhting to happen to kitty, I prefer to spend some money now and keep her healthy rather than save a couple dollars now and spend thousands later. ( I dont have thousands :( )

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
I had always wondered what is the difference between those so-called tartar control treats and dry food. Tartar control treats (especially Whiskas) are made of mostly corn and my cats hated them. I had wondered if I could just feed canned food with some dry food instead of feeding canned and using tartar control treats.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
We sell a prescription tartar control diet made by Hills and I've never quite figured out the difference between it and regular food :roll:

I think giving a few pieces of kibble after a meal would have just as much effect as giving the "tartar control" treats, and is still just as effective as feeding nothing but dry... based on the theory that dry food keeps teeth clean.

The best way is by brushing though :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok, I looked through some of the links, but I'm still confused. Could someone please summarize the pros/cons of wet vs. dry? Is a mix ok? I don't think I can feed my cats all wet. Right now we are transitioning them over from Purino One to Natural Balance dry. One of our cats gets a pouch of Nutro Natural a day(he has IBS) along with dry. So basically could some just give me a review of what the health benefits, etc. are to feeding wet instead of dry.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I think feeding a mix is just fine.

To sum up what I believe to be true about the two:

Feeding ONLY dry food tends to leave many cats slightly dehydrated because they rely on food to get their moisture, most cats don't drink enough water on their own. This can put some stress on their internal organs, like kidneys. Also, it can lead to a more concentrated urine and possible UTIs and maybe even blockages in male cats (females too, but less common).

Most dry foods contain a high amount of carbs and other fillers that cats don't really need. They are carnivores who do best when they eat meat, or mostly meat meals. A lot of lower ended dry foods contain little meat at all (some you really have to search to find it!).

A lot of cats tend to overeat when free fed dry. This leads to a lot of weight issues, as well as a "need" for food all the time... you can read lots of stories about cats who stress out and scratch, pee, and poop all over the house at the sight of an empty bowl.

Wet foods provides moisture. It hydrates them, and keeps the urine a good concentration to provide a healthy urinary tract. It usually keeps them fuller longer since they get more nutrition from the food and are not just "filled" with grains and such. It also tends to keep cats a healthier weight and has been helpful for many people in getting their cats to lose weight.

I personally feed an all wet diet now and have been very pleased. While I tend to scoop about 3-4 clumps of urine every day, I usually get a small amount of poo once a day. His coat is beautiful and soft, and he just seems all around healthy.

I think you'll do fine on the combo you're starting. Natural Balance is one of the high end dry foods, good choice! Basically, the best diet for your cat is going to be one that he does the best on. If he refuses to eat canned food (some do!) feeding him the best dry you can find is just as good... I mean, it can't be good for him if he doesn't eat it right?

You seem to have your kitty's best interest in mind, and with the attitude you have, seeking out great advice as you are... you really can't do any wrong :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I used to buy canned Wellness from a store called Pet People. The sales people who work there have really irritated me because they treated me like they know so much more about feeding cats than I do. These articles prove even further that I know more than they do. This is what they told me.

They told me that canned food is not good for cats. They stressed the old wives tale dry food is a whole lot better for the teeth. One particular dumb blonde(I'm blonde too so I'm not offending blondes) told me that canned food is not very nutritious because it's mostly water. She knew nothing about evaluating nutrients on a dry matter basis. Another sales person in that store just as uneducated told me that with canned food being mostly water there is no way my cats would get their nutritional needs met if I only fed canned food and he said, "Oh don't tell me that's all your feeding them." Well I feed a mix but even if it was they should not be so concerned. Just because dry food is 78% water doesn't mean it's only 10% protein. On a dry matter basis it's more like 45% protein and is formulated to be nutritionally complete. Otherwise cats on canned food would starve to death. We don't see that happening. They saw me buying a lot of canned food and dry food only once in a while and made the assumption that I was doing it all wrong and that they needed to educate me about the importance of feeding dry food only.

Sales people in pet stores have no business dictating to pet owners how to feed their pets. Their job is to sell the pet food and that's all. The next time a pet food sales dummy tried to dictate to me how to feed my cats I will straight out tell them that they don't own my cats and it's none of their business and I won't care how rude I sound either.

There are people who choose to feed only dry to their cats. Although I don't agree with feeding only dry I would never dictate to them how to feed their cats and tell them they're doing it all wrong. If they wanted information they would research it. But I am certainly not the boss of them or anyone. Why can't the sales people at Pet People realize that concept and mind their own business?

Sorry, I had to vent. It gets me so angry how we seemingly have pet food dictators from pet stores and pet food companies. Royal Canin is the worst in my opinion because they very strongly encourage dry over canned. In fact they don't even make canned food.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Pet store people tend to say whatever the food reps say, just like people at the vets do.

Its funny, because we had a girl who used to work at a pet store that works with us and there's always statements made (jokingly) by the vet like "oh, that must be something those Nutro people told you!" and in my head I'm always like "uh huh, and those darn Hills people are just as bad!"

I think the best yet is that we sell a TON of z/d ultra, a food for pets with food allergies... and when he starts listing the worst allergy problems being corn and grain... I'm like "excuse me, that's all hills food is made of!!" its insane!

Anyway - I agree with you... if you go in and ASK for a recommendation, that's fine... but you shouldn't be attacked for what you feed. I mean, if they SELL you the food, why are they going to tell you not to feed it?? :roll:

·
Registered
258 Posts
The makers of Royal Canin make a canned food called Sensible Choice
It is very hard to find this in stores, but can be found online.

I understand being frustrated at the Pet Store employees. Most of us have a story or two....

My recent experience happened 2 days ago.
I went to Petco to pick up my kitten canned wet food, and happily found my favorite brand on sale, Science Diet for Kittens. I grabbed 2, and decided to try the Savory bites this time. I picked up other misc. cat supplies that weren't quite a necessity. I proceeded to the register where 2 very bored teenagers were bickering and ignoring me, the customer. I politely interrupted them and asked for a Frozen Adult Mouse. Both looked at me weirded out, then immediately looked down at my supplies. This teenager began to lecture my on how I shouldn't give mice to my cat, and it is like soooo gross! And that I should get REAL food for my cat, and did I need help picking out Dry food, that that would be better for cat to chew on, not a mouse. Then they had the nerve to argue in front of me who was going to have to get the frozen mouse.
Finally they brought me my mouse, rung up my sale, and I said, "well I was planning on giving my cat a parakeet so he could practice his hunting skills, but I don't feel like cleaning up the feathers...."
I walked out

By the way, the mouse is for my pet cornsnake, so please no hate posts!
I didn't feel like explaining to the brats of Petco, nor was it their business..........

·
Registered
629 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's good. Very good! I enjoyed that story. :) My uncle is really into snakes and raises live mice to feed to them. He also studies snake genetics and breeds them. Nature is nature.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Well, everytime when I go to ANY store I always look for the oldest guy. The older guys are nice and knowledgeable.

I don't like teenagers, especially teenage girls.

I don't know what am I going to do when I have teenage girls of my own 8O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very unusual. My cat is just over 6 months. Before i got him i bought lots of books and got some advice from a local vet. Both advised feeding predominantly wet food with a bit of dry for their teeth and to nibble on during the day. I am quite surprised the industry advice has been to feed mainly dry food.

I am quite fortunate my cat doesn't over eat. He does LOOOVE raw food. I don't feed him a raw diet as i am concerned may not not be properly balanced. I have read some threads on home-cooked diets and they seem quite complicated. I do give him a bit of whatever i'm cooking, raw chicken, meat (not fish) and eggs. I also give him cod liver oil capsules every now and then. He loves them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just want to say thank you for all the good information and links. I've tried canned food several times but my cats weren't too interested, Marcellus was alwasy totally disgusted by it. I've become convinced though and decided my cats WILL eat canned. Until joining this site I never knew about all the better brands. I would always buy the better brands at the petstore but I knew nothing about brands such as Wellness, Innova, etc. I've finally convinced my cats. :D Even Marcellus, whom I thought never would switch (another post) did! He eats both but more and more I see him eating the canned. I've tried many different brands but he is much more willing to eat the "real meat" types. I've been feeding my cats Felidae (tried it last week) and even Marcellus likes this. I tried Chick Soup too, the other cats love it but Marcellus wasn't interested in that. All 3 like the Felidae. I think the thing that really convinced me the most was the weight issue. Of course there are all the other reasons but the weight one was looking right at me. I was always so careful about not "over feeding." Feeding even less than the bags called for and I had scheduled feedings with little or no treats. Amazingly, my cats are overweight, not by a ton but they're still young. Marecellus has a huge saggy belly and Wallace has one, although not as big. Lewis, who's only one year is getting a saggy paunch! Well I just couldn't figure this out....I am thinking, after this great information on the this site, it must be the dry food as that was all I fed them. So....now we're feeding canned and I'm feeling quite good about that. And I'm so happy to have found a store that carried the "real meat" brands ( I had to do some research here as the big petstores don't carry it) and I'm so happy my cats like it! Thank you! :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Better late than never...

Just discovered this thread - been off this forum for quite a while - still love my cats though!

Didn't yet read all the links at the start of this - quickly read thru previous post; esp. ones that seemed most informative. Like the one from Australia - comments sound good - yes, raw meat can be part of a good diet - wonder what all the incredible amount of food that restaurants and butcher shops throw out - why not grind it all up into a pet food mix - freeze it and sell it???

Anyway seems its not a good idea to feed only one type of food, but are we forgetting something? It's not just Dry vs Wet, what about QUALITY? IOW, whatever you feed, get the BEST you can find...and by best, I mean quality, close to natural ingredients(?) Agreed? Or no?

Cats ARE finicky - one time they like a certain food and the next time...??
Variety seems to be the key and hey....aren't people the same...would YOU want to eat the same thing for every meal??

In the wild, cats (big and small) will eat a variety and most prey would be semi-moist (oooo, blood, yuck!!!) wouldn't it?

Wouldn't the ideal food be , shall we call it, meatloaf? IOW, a mix containing raw or cooked meat plus all the usual ingredients in a meatloaf plus the extras (alll natural) that are good for your cat buddy? But try other things...let your buddy decide....and love 'em to pieces, eh?

Had an unusual occurence a month ago - got talking to a lady in a local dollar store about cats (she had a big bag of dry in her cart). Told her that I had lost my best buddy (see my story and pics elsewhere here) - didn't know what took him - he sort of choked to death...BAM, immediately she told me he had died from too much protein in his diet which causes cats insides to "crystalize" (the term she used) - probably from canned food diet (I believe she said) - I asked her how she knew and she said it had happened to her pet(s) too - I really should have had an autopsy done with my pet, but.... :( ...you know.

to be continued...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had an unusual occurence a month ago - got talking to a lady in a local dollar store about cats (she had a big bag of dry in her cart). Told her that I had lost my best buddy (see my story and pics elsewhere here) - didn't know what took him - he sort of choked to death...BAM, immediately she told me he had died from too much protein in his diet which causes cats insides to "crystalize" (the term she used) - probably from canned food diet (I believe she said) - I asked her how she knew and she said it had happened to her pet(s) too - I really should have had an autopsy done with my pet, but.... :( ...you know.

The lady at the dollar store didn't know what she was talking about. You get that a lot because a lot of people are misguided like that and will try to tell you that wet food is "not good for cats."

I totally agree about variety. No I wouldn't like to eat the same thing day in and day out and I don't expect my cats to do that either. Spotty made it very clear to me that he doesn't like to eat the same wet food every day and will seek out Rosie's food if feed him a special diet. A vet once told me I had to feed only one special diet food(canned and/or dry version) for the rest of his life and stay away from regular canned cat food. But at his next check up I'll be telling her that Spotty is eating a huge variety of different types of wet food(and some dry food), with different proteins and flavors and from different companies and he's doing great and has a lot of energy. The vet won't have any authority to control his diet with him doing so well. If she insists I feed a special diet I will refuse and if she points out his medical record I will tell her that she doesn't live with Spotty like I do and has no idea how well he's doing on many varieties of wet food. Hopefully she'll understand.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.