Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wish some vets would do the research you have. I used to work for a pet supplies store and people would ask about cats with urinary tract infection and kidney problems all the time. It was nearly impossable to convince them to feed a canned diet. They always said "but my vet said that dry food was bad for their teeth." Great, choose your cat's teeth over its kidneys! They'd always pick up Purina One Uninary Tract Health and then wonder why their cat never got any better.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have tried canned Wellness, Felidae, Innova, Merrick's and one cheap fish wet food.
The cat won't eat anything but the cheap fish wet food. She won't eat the others even when she is hungry.
Dry food: she eats only California Natural Chicken and Rice. And yes, she drinks a lot of water.
Since she picks at the food throughout the day I'm not getting raw diet for her; it will simply go off.
Some cats just won't eat canned food, 'period'. My girl is one of those.
I'd like to do what is best for her but haven't the time or the money to buy every cat food brand on Earth and offer it to her. So this is making the best of a not-so-good situation. The cal natural is not making her fat and she appears to be thriving on it. And her teeth are much better than when I first got her, though she'll still need a cleaning.

·
Registered
487 Posts
wet rabbit

update: Gizmo was put on a rabbit-only diet for her allergies.
She loves it and even eats the wet food--but only very small amounts. She is a small cat. But this is a major change for her, and for the better.
I put out some dry for her too since she likes the mix.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
The CatAge website is an affiliate of RealAge, which is a company with something to sell, and it's sponsored by mainline pharmaceutical and food companies: -RealAge sponsors- so take it with a grain of salt, remembering that they're presenting just one side of the issue -- their side. If everyone fed their pets a raw diet, their sponsors wouldn't sell product.

This is a good example of backgrounding your internet references to find out what their bias might be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can i add to this please?

I had a cat who was only ever fed dry food, he was a male cat and one day he looked really ill we thought he had been poisoned as the symptons were simular, we rushed him to the vets, and they did all they could for him, he died the next morning.
What happened shocked me.
The dry food had caused a build up of crystals in his urainy tract this had created a blockage, the urine built up and then travel back into his kidneys causing major organ failure, the vets did everything they could but he couldnt recover.

the thing that gets me the most was i was responsable for his death, I allways fed the cats dry food, so I could fill all the dishes twice a day and let them eat as they wanted, plus with having all the cats to feed (toby had started life as a feral) it worked out cheaper for us to feed the dry food.

I have been told by the vet it is most common in male cats, I have only got female cats now but allways feed mainly wet food just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Oh Yeah!!!
That is the very same link I have re-read many many times now.
I went to the pet supply today and purchased
Nature's Variety frozen raw....
Nature's Variety canned.

I also plan on ordering some Wysong Au Jus canned meats.
I have to find that online though.

I pick up my cat tomorrow.....sure hope he likes this because
I threw the kibble out the door! :D

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Yes I did....Organic Chicken medallions. the 1# bag cost $4.99
It has approx. 16 medallions...a 10 pound cat needs to eat 4 medallions
per day.
If this is really going to work and be a success...let me say I am praying it will be...the cost is $1.25 per day to feed this raw diet.
That is not any more expense than feeding a mid-quality canned.
The Nature's Variety canned is actually more expensive.
a 5.5 oz can was $1.69...recommended feed guide is 1 can per 6-8 lb. cat. So I am really excited about this raw diet.

Get this.....the sales gal gave me a key code to go to
the Natures Variety website and print off a coupon for a free
bag....the next size up, 3#, valued at $10.99...
I am going to go back and pick it up on Friday.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think they have a larger bag that is 4lbs and cost around 10 bucks. That should help a little. I think that's about what I was paying!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Dawn -- antibiotic-free, hormone-free, grain-fed ("natural" but not quite "organic") chicken is now available in most supermarkets for $1.50 - $2.00 a pound. You need to cut it up, grind it up, and add a few things, but it's still going to be half the price of that prepared chicken. Here's the recipe I'm using:
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=355464#355464
and did Nature's Variety explain that raw has to be phased in very slowly?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I'm STILL trying to get myself to switch to raw, and thought about purchasing some of the premade stuff just to get myself started. Addison would be fine as far as money, but it'd end up costing me like $100-150 a month to feed Brody!!

I did actually buy a bag of the freeze dried Nature's Variety. Addison won't eat it :roll: I'll still offer some every now and then, but when he doesn't eat it, Brody gets it as a treat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've a question...
First of all, from my knowledge, fish isn't very good for cats and they should be given mostly non-fish meats (chicken, turkey, etc). Is this actually true?

Second of all,
my turkish van, Lemmy, hates wet food. I know it's better for him, but the only time he ate it was when the store ran out of dry food for a week and there was nothing but wet food... and even then, he barely ate any. If given dry food, he won't touch the wet food, and if he has no dry food, he'll whine, even with wet food....
Should I just give up and continue the dry food?

·
Registered
629 Posts
etchtglass said:
I've a question...
First of all, from my knowledge, fish isn't very good for cats and they should be given mostly non-fish meats (chicken, turkey, etc). Is this actually true?

Second of all,
my turkish van, Lemmy, hates wet food. I know it's better for him, but the only time he ate it was when the store ran out of dry food for a week and there was nothing but wet food... and even then, he barely ate any. If given dry food, he won't touch the wet food, and if he has no dry food, he'll whine, even with wet food....
Should I just give up and continue the dry food?
I think the most important thing is for cats to eat a balanced diet, even just chicken or turkey without supplementing vitamins and minerals would not be good for a cat. But fish is known to be not so good for cats but it can't hurt as an occasional treat or mixed with other ingredients that are nutritious. I think it's definitely wise to alternate those fish food flavors with flavors that don't contain any fish, such as chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, venizon, or whatever.

A very wise breeder once told me at a cat show, "The best cat food is useless if the cat won't eat it." Encourage your cat to eat canned food but do not be so determined that you would even let your cat go without food for a couple of days. This is dangerous, as cats can get ill from going for long stretches of time without food. 3 days, a vet once told me can push a cat into fatty liver disease. If your cat refuses to eat wet food, then feed the dry stuff. It may not be an optimum diet but millions of cats have lived out their lives on dry food, many even on only dry food because they refuse wet food in spite of their owners attempts(but don't give up trying, you never know, they might eat it). I know I can't give up the dry stuff. It supplements my cats canned food and ensures they're eating enough. And for wet food try different flavors and varieties and to avoid wasting too much food start by feeding small quantities and gradually increase it, if your cat only eats fish flavored wet food balance it with a dry food that doesn't have any fish and choose cans that also contain other ingredients.

I've got my cats trained to eat at least some wet food. In the morning I split a 3 ounce can of wet food among 2 cats and do the same thing again at night. Sometimes they finish it, sometimes they don't. The dry food fills in the nutritional gap between meals. I find that on weekend mornings my cats eat more wet food than when I'm getting ready for work during the week because I get up at 6 am put down the wet food and go back to bed and sleep until 10 am. During these 4 hours my cats have nothing to eat but wet food and if you add to the fact that I don't free feed dry food but only put out a limited amount and the cats don't have a whole lot to eat during the night when I'm sleeping the cats are hungry and guess what, they eat the wet stuff. Note that I did not starve my cats into it. I've never allowed my cats to go a day without eating some food. And by 10:00 or 11 am I give them a small portion of dry food. So here's something you might try when you still need your sleep on a Saturday morning. Too bad I can't do this on a week day. I've got to go to work and I can't just leave the wet food out all day and not put any dry in their bowls. They'd go hungry.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
When Tiger blocked and was rushed to the nearest animal hospital, he did get treated, the place has a fame for being an excellent animal hospital, it is also an specialty center, the thing is that they did get Tiger back to normal however their lack of information as to how to prevent it from happening was ridiculous, the vet made it look like it can happen again and there nothing you can do, she said that Kitties come into her clinic every day because of blockage, sure enough there were 3 more cats in there with the same problem. THIS FREAKED ME OUT, as I thought there was no solution for it.
I did a lot of research, didn't sleep for nights surfing the net, until I finally came accross Dr. Pierson's website who SAVED my life.
I've learned the basis of nutrition, and what to do to keep Tiger healthy, canned food is the best thing that ever happened to us in combination with cosequin and colostrum.
My current vet encourages cat owners to feed a canned food diet, even raw!.
What I am trying to say is that while the specialty center did the "technical" work to help Tiger, they provided no info whatsoever about how to prevent it and told me that he should have surgery, I was like no way! he has only blocked once, why put him through such an invasive procedure, no way in heck.

There goes my .50 cents..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mvjnz said:
Saying that cats should be fed only canned food or only dry food is like saying that humans should only ever eat soup or only ever eat hard, crunchy, chewy food.

In the wild cats would get a combination of soft and hard food. Soft meat and hard crunchy bones from the animals they kill.

Try only eating soup for a year and see what it does to your teeth and jaw muscles.

Our cats have dry food out all day which they can eat whenever they feel like it, and they get one meal of canned food every evening.
There are several differences between dryfood and bones. They can't be compared. The crunch in dryfood can't be compared to bones. Bones are solid and need a lot of strenght and work to be broken. Dryfood break at basically no pressure at all so dryfood, when broken (many cats just swallow the kibble whole), doesn't really give much "polish effect" at all on the teeth.

Second... dryfood is stuffed with carbs, bones aren't so nutrionally they are completely different.

If you want the "bone polishing effect", dryfood won't do it. Only bones wll give that. I've seen the huge effect bones have had on my cats teeth. They used to eat dryfood only (dryfood that were supposed to prevent tartar), I had to brush their teeth to keep the tartar away. After the switch to raw food and feeding them bones I don't need to brush any teeth and the vets tell me all the time how nice looking teeth they have.

41 - 60 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.