Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lose of weight and a few days of not eating I took my almost 14 yr old cat to the Vets. Urine test shows I think he said Renal failure. He said I have a few options. I am just trying to 'buy a little time here' not trying to prolong any agony. I just had a sudden death in my family and want a little more time with him. He has perked up since eating.

Anyway he prescribed Cyproheptadine and it really got him to eat but at $4 a tablet I can't afford that all the time. Has anyone bought it online. There are sites you can buy without a prescription

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Hi catlover8,

I'm sorry for the diagnosis. I lost my kitty to renal disease earlier this year.

Are you sure you can get cypro without a prescription online? There are places that sell it, but normally they require an rx from the vet. Your vet should be willing to write you a prescription that you can fill anywhere you want.

Just so you know, cypro is an appetite stimulant, but depending on how advanced your kitty's CKD is, just an appetite stimulant is often not enough. Kitties with kidney disease almost always suffer from nausea and excess stomach acid and need to have them treated before an appetite stimulant is effective. Otherwise, your kitty is hungry, but still nauseated and unwilling to eat.

Again, it would depend on your kitty's numbers, but Cerenia or Zofran to control nausea or vomiting, and an antacid like famotidine (Pepcid A/C) or ranitidine (Zantac) can do a lot to get a kitty eating again.

Also try turning wet food into a soup by mixing it with a lot of water. Many CKD kitties prefer to lick food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts