Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Maybe someone could help me out, I work at a restaurant where we have two strays that pretty much live there. (in the wooded area/vacant houses around us) However, they are there all the time, we have named them and have been around over 2 years now. I have come to love both of them and they are so sweet and friendly, you can pet them (if you walk up to them slowly and dont scare them) Anyway, within the last week sometime, I noticed I havent seen one of them as much as the other... well come to find out we saw the one limping around on 3 legs and we are all heartbroken and at a loss of what to do. It is her rear right foot... and it doesnt appear to be like she has been run over (which is what our first instinct was) but getting a closer look at her.....it looks as if it is a bite of some sort. I wanted to take her into the vet to have her checked out, but catching her is an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on making her feel comfortable or get the healing process started? I read online I can give her Amoxicilin.. what do you think? Ill attach a picture of the injury. We thiink it may be a raccoon, snake, or dog. Wonder why shes missing a little fur? Any help would be great! Thank you

Scrappy.jpg

Scrappy Foot.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
Might be best to take him to a vet! I just don't know what else to tell you. Don't let him suffer though. This has got to be very painful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can try a live trap maybe? They sell em at sporting goods/ hunting stores. Sometimes the city animal control will let you borrow one if you call them up. Doesn't always work with smart cats but worth a try if she won't let you approach her.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I would suggest a small dog crate, but big enough for a cat. Put it out, put food in it and ignore it for a day, so the cat can get used to going in there. Hopefully you can get the cat to go in the cage with food and take it to the vet. I have a feral i've been carrying for for a year and this is my worst nightmare, I always wonder what I will do if/when this happens, if they get sick or hurt. This is what I would do. Maybe once you get the kitty in the vet, and looked at they can spay/neuter the kitty, ear tip it so it is known that it is fixed, give it shots? You will be a Godsend for this kitty and greatly cut down on the pet population. I am touched that you are willing to help this kitty.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Oh....I just noticed kitty is ear tipped! This means, he/she is fixed! This is good news. This probably means kitty has had shots at least once. Such a beautiful kitty!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the ear is tipped. Yes defintly neutered. Was able to get a cage, and it is sitting at my work waiting. I may take a trip up there early to see if I can get him/her.. I have work later on, But defiantly going to try and catch him/her to take to a vet! :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have heard that withholding a meal, to sort of get them good and hungry, and put something really appetizing in there, something really hard to resist. Maybe give a few bites of it outside of the cage, and then put some in? Fancy feast appetizers, the grody fish ones are a HUGE hit with my feral, and with my inside cats....yes, I occasionally give my cats something gross, rarely, but boy do they love it! Also, temptations dry treats seem to be like crack to cats. Just some ideas!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, heres an UPDATE. I was able to get him today (he's offically a HIM) took him to the vet, and the vet said it looked like he was bit by another cat. :( Anyway, they weighed him looked at him etc. said he had some ear mites, fleas, etc. I said I just wanted to focus on the foot for now. They said they would give him some meds to make him a little loopy and try and get some of the infection out.

Now before all of this i wrote on the paper work that the cat may need a muzzle and that he was a stray.... so..

Anyway, they took him in the back to give him some meds and within like 10 min the Dr came back in to tell me that the cat bit one of his techs and "got her good" he said. Drew some blood on her.... so now by law they have to keep the cat for 10 days quarantined and what not.... what does everyone think of this....?

I was a littled worried... i dont know why... just how I am.... but they said theyll see how the 10 days goes... and that the tech needs to go to a doctor now. but they also said they would be giving the cat the meds and stuff so i wouldnt need to worry about it so its for the better anyway? i dont know.. very confusing situation... just hope **** be okay!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Wow, I don't really have any experience with the protocol for handling feral cats, but this is something I have asked my vet, since I care for a feral and have pondered bringing her in. Some vets handle ferals, some don't. If they are a vet that does, I would think they need to be prepared for how to handle one. I would think the cat first off, needs to be sedated. My vets office has a "gas chamber" (I hate that term) that they put the cat into, even still in it's crate, and the cat breathes in the gas until it is sedated. I'm guessing maybe all vets don't have this same thing available? I would see that a feral cat, they would need to make sure that it does not have rabies, so I understand the quarantine, I just don't understand why they didn't take more precautions when dealing with a known feral. I don't know how well you like this vets office, but my first impression, just based on what has happened, I'm not so sure I like them. Sorry. But he is there, and that is good. Can I just stop for a moment and say how wonderful you are for taking care of this boy, I really mean it, I am touched.

He is there now, he will get healed up, he will probably calm down a bit by the time you get to see him. Will they let you even go see him while he is in quarantine? I had a cat that bit my daughter once, who was 6 at the time. I stupidly took my daughter to an after hours pediatric place, not knowing they would call animal control, who came out the next day and said I had to quarantine my cat for 10 days....luckily they let me keep her at home, since she was an indoor cat. But I wonder if they would let you stop by and visit the kitty a time or two during his stay? Even if you aren't allowed to touch him? I think it would help the kitty, to see a familiar face, because he is going to be so confused as to why he is in there.

I hope someone who has vet tech experience will pipe up here and explain what is normal here when a cat or dog bites a tech. To me, it seems like this office did not handle this properly. You told them in advance that the cat needed to be muzzled...you warned them. My vets office, they deal with ferals all the time, and they know how to handle them. I'm thinking that they didn't take proper precautions.

DOn't get discouraged. You did a good thing here and this kitty will never forget what you did for him. He will be out and he will be better off now. Who knows, maybe he can be made a pet? Not sure if you have other cats, but maybe he can become an indoor cat? Or not, but even if he is outside, he will be all healed up, probably get some shots and be much better off outside now than he was before.

Keep us posted on his progress. If I were you, I'd ask some friends for some vet referrals, and maybe call another vet office and ask them (if they will tell you), how would you handle this situation? Explain you warned them the cat was wild and needed muzzling and ask them, what do you do if a tech gets bit? Who is responsible? I'm curious to know and if I have time, I may call my own vet, who I have a wonderful 12 year relationship with, and ask them what do they do when this happens to them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto all that. I was thinking of mentioning it but wasn't sure how to word it...I understand getting clawed but how do you let a feral cat bite you when you work with animals all day?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry that i just got back to this and saw this. But yes, I literally COMPLETELY agree. I was very disappointed when i was told that, I do not have any pets at the moment because I am in a house where I am not allowed, but I am the biggest animal lover EVER. Anything, I love them. There is something about this cat that I love, I wish i could take him home,...I was so disappointed that they did not muzzle him like i told them to... it really got to me... because at first....i thought to myself.. oh my god... theyre going to put my kitty down.... they dont care about a stray....

i dont know alot has gone through my mind... i feel like he bit the tech because obvioulsy it hurt... because he was NOT drugged up enough... i would bite someone to if they were squeezing on my swollen paw.. :( it makes me so sad... and no I cannot visit... I can cal and check up on him to see how he is doing... makes me even more sad...tried calling today but they were closed for memorial day.... i will be calling tomorrow... i just want him back already though... want to bring him to his brother so they can play again... :( i dont like the vet either... i didnt have any other choice.... since he was a stray.... when i caught him is when i had to just find a vet that could see him right then.. :(

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I can imagine you are worried about him. I would most def not take him back there. Hopefully his days of quarantine will be up soon and he can be back with his brother. No, I don't think they handled things right with him, they should know better. I don't think they can just put him down though, you brought him in, so I don't think they can make that call, unless he had rabies, which I highly doubt he does, he was just, hello, scared. Like they were shocked about that, really? You did a good thing, and one day when you are on your own, you will be a wonderful pet mother to some lucky cat or cats :) In the meantime, hopefully your parents will see how much this kitty means to you and let you get him the help he needs to get him back to his environment. I care for a feral cat too, and I can tell you I worry so much about her, and am always prepared that she may show up injured, sick, or that I may see her dead on the road. It kills me when I think of this, but I know I am doing all that I can for this girl. I already have 3 inside cats and this feral could never be an indoor cat, so I do what I can. She is TNR, has shots, I feed her and give her a porch to sleep on and all the love that I can, and sometimes I get so sad that I can't do more for her because I love her with all my heart, but I just tell myself.....she is so much better off having just one person to love her and feed her. Before I fed mine, she ate from garbage cans and was a skinny, grey, drab looking cat. A year later, she had all of these colors pop on her coat, she is a healthy weight, her coat looks healthy, her eyes bright, and when she hears my car, her little legs trot so fast across the street to get to me, as she is mewing the whole way to me. I'm lucky enough that I live on a fairly quiet street with not much traffic and the neighbors are ok with her sleeping in their yards and flower beds and they don't try to run her off, and she has lived here for over 3 years before I even got her to trust me. So be happy for what you can do with this kitty. I cant wait to hear that he is back with you. Try not to fret and worry about him too much. Hopefully your mom or dad can go with you when you get him and let the vet office know that you are sorry that the tech got bit, but feel that they didn't handle this cat properly knowing it's background of being a stray or feral, and that the cat ended up suffering because of it. I'm sure he will be fine. If anything, him being in the office he will be used to seeing other kitties and people and maybe that will calm him down a little bit. He is very beautiful :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree that this vets office did not handle this well at all. I also care for a feral, and when I brought her in the house (trapped her), I called the vet before told them about her and brought her in the trap to the vets. They were ready and waiting, and new exactly how to handle her. They have since treated her also, and they are wonderful with handling her - I can't, but they certainly know how! When she was at the vets for a few days to have teeth out, they also let me visit her. They know she is feral and actually come to my house to treat her!
Sally

·
Banned
693 Posts
I am so sad for the stray kitty but how lucky that you took the time to try to deal with the infected foot. When I first looked at the photo you posted, I thought...another cat bite. I've seen so many with DHs first cat in Wisconsin.

On a positive note, the cat is at a vet where he is being cared for and the foot can be monitored. 10 days is adequate time to ensure it is healing. Did you see if the tech was bit? Maybe they are doing a kind thing for the cat by keeping it (with the best excuse they can come up with).
I agree that a tech should know better than to get themselves bit by a feral cat, especially since you already TOLD them...so maybe there is more going on.
Feral cats amaze me and I swear they really do have 9 lives. I am sure this one will do well once he is let back out to his area.
He is a gorgeous cat!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When I brought my two cats in I didn't know how they would react. The younger had lived outside his whole life. The vet insisted on giving him gas so they could do what they needed. He doesn't need it now but hopefully the vet isn't going to gouge you for all this as I think they didn't know how to handle it.

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
Oh the poor kitty and the poor vet tech! I agree, you took the cat in explaining it was a stray/feral and just wanted basic care for the wound and WOW! did it spin out of control fast! I'd call every couple days and explain that this extended stay at the hotel was NOT your idea and your intentions were minimal! They'll need to suck up the expenses except for the foot care I guess. You could treat the mites and fleas yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a positive note, the cat is at a vet where he is being cared for and the foot can be monitored. 10 days is adequate time to ensure it is healing. Did you see if the tech was bit? Maybe they are doing a kind thing for the cat by keeping it (with the best excuse they can come up with).
I agree that a tech should know better than to get themselves bit by a feral cat, especially since you already TOLD them...so maybe there is more going on.
Feral cats amaze me and I swear they really do have 9 lives. I am sure this one will do well once he is let back out to his area.
He is a gorgeous cat!

This is a very excellent point. I am NOT an optimistic person, but i love the fact that you said this... this makes me wonder... and actually smile a bit... bc, as someone else stated below... about them paying expenses and what not... they clearly told me while i was there that I am not responsible for the 10 days... i paid for his care and antibiotics etc. already. I should owe nothing when i pick him up. sooo thats good!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh the poor kitty and the poor vet tech! I agree, you took the cat in explaining it was a stray/feral and just wanted basic care for the wound and WOW! did it spin out of control fast! I'd call every couple days and explain that this extended stay at the hotel was NOT your idea and your intentions were minimal! They'll need to suck up the expenses except for the foot care I guess. You could treat the mites and fleas yourself.
Yes, they are going to suck up the expenses because it is something they said they needed to do by law and it wasnt my fault. So, I paid for the antibiotics and treatment already when i left last week.. and kinda lucked out that they get a monitor it to see how he is healing.... They also stated on the day they took him they they would be taking care of the ear mites and fleas because he is staying in the facility and that is protocol.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts