Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :).
Havent been on here for a while, hope all is well with everyone!

So Tessie was brought to the vet just for a check up and also to see why she has been throwing up alot more lately. All the blood test came back negative and the vet said she is perfectly healthy. He recommended that I try a different food with some grain in it that it's possible she can no longer handle the no-grain any longer.
I do not feed her wet food because she actually vomits more from it, she seems to do better on the dry foods.

What do you all think of Innova dry? My dog Willow eats it (she is 8 months old) and does fantastic on it, beautiful coat, healthy skin and lots of energy. If you have another brand with grain I would love to know :).

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
One of the brands my cats eat is Innova Evo Ancestral Diet. They like it and do so well on it that I have to use less of it than other dry kibble or they put on too much weight. My cats like dry but also eat no-grain canned foot (Wellness or Nature's Variety) in proportion of 2/3 canned to 1/3 kibble. Wish I could get them on raw, but it's a no go, tho I keep trying from time to time.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Innova is a good food (as dry foods with grains go), nothing particularly remarkable about it.

I will say that I don't put much stock in the idea of switching a cat with vomiting issues off grain free to grains. That's quite the opposite of what is normally seen...more often the cats can't handle the grains. In general, dry food is much harder to digest than canned. I'm more inclined to think it might be an issue with the protein or other ingredients, eating too fast or a medical issue that isn't showing up in bloodwork and requires further testing e.g. ultrasound.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Innova's ingredient list looks decent. I feed my cats some Innovas, but only canned, and we are all happy with it.

However, I've never heard about the theory that adding grains into cat's food can help vomitting problem. Usually grain make things worse because it's harder to digest. Could it be that your cat is allergic to certain ingredient in the current food? Are you willing to try some raw feeding? I've heard many successful stories on vomitting or diarrhea problem gone after switching to raw food :)

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Regina, does Tessie go outside or has she had any chance to eat grass lately? I ask because we had the same problem with Murphy, a lot of throwing up for no apparent reason, and as soon as I stopped taking him outside to romp around our little backyard, the vomiting stopped. It's really a shame because he loved it, but between the throwing up and having to worry about giving him flea and tick treatments, it wasn't worth it to go out there.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She throws up about 2-3 times a week, I called the vet and he said that he would like to switch foods and see. He said if she threw up every day all the time then they would go threw with a scan.
She is an all Indoor cat and has been eating Blue Wilderness for a few years now. Since you all think the grain may be a problem, what other grain-free dry do you recommend? Should I try a fish formula instead of chicken and duck?
Thanks!!

FYI... She is 7 1/2 years old, not sure if it matters or not :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
what about Orijen? or Acana? I know you asked about innova but I think if you are going to feed dry orijen seems to be the best out there.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Wilderness has a variety of proteins in both formulas (chicken, turkey, fish in the chicken formula and add duck in addition 3 proteins for the duck formula)...I would suggest limiting to one protein source and see what happens. Natural Balance LID, Nature's Variety LID or Cal Natural GF Chicken.

Also...when does she vomit? Within minutes of eating or later? Does the food come back up looking like kibble or is it partially digested?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's about 30 mintures to an hour after eating and she always throws up 3 times in a row. It's mostly kibble and then it ends up being liquid the other 2 times.
I usually rotate from Duck to Chicken every time I buy a new bag so she has a little change.

Orijen and Acana are not sold at the pet stores around here :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts