Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know dry food is bad and i'm hoping as the kittens get older we can go to 100% (right now they are getting 2 meals of wet with dry food down during the day while we are at work), but in light of all the upset with EVO's reformulation, does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives to their kibble?

we are currently alternating between wellness core and evo. i'm starting to look into other kibble and phase out the evo.

what i'm mainly looking for is high protein (preferably not fish-based) and grain free. so far i may be considering orijen, but it seems to be hard to find around here.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Let's clarify...there has been NO reformulation of EVO. But changing is your choice...alternatives:

Instinct
Earthborn
Taste of the Wild
Pinnacle
Fromm Surf & Turf
Now
Go
Felidae

and a bunch of others, but that's a good start.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doodlebug, maybe i was misinformed then. but thank you for suggestions on alternatives! always looking for the best to feed my kitties. i will have to see what i can find in my area.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Let's clarify...there has been NO reformulation of EVO.
I believe Innova now now uses Medadione. Here is what Susan Thixton wrote below (link to full article at bottom)....

An observant Pet Parent emailed me regarding an ingredient change in a Innova pet food. She shared that the Innova pet food label had changed to including Menadione Sodium Bisulfite. I called Innova asking about the change, and was told that AAFCO requires Menadione to be the vitamin K supplement.

The ONLY Approved Vitamin K Supplement in Pet Food

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
OK...I thought she was referring to the lawsuit settlement and assuming that they changed their ingredients. If this is about the menadione, then my understanding is that the only Natura product that contains menadione are the herring and salmon formulas because they are more than 25% fish. I just walked out into the store and checked the Innova, Cal Natural & EVO bags and none of them have any menadione in the ingredients except the herring and salmon.

I would suggest contacting Natura directly about this to confirm...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thank you, doodlebug, for your assiduous attempt to set the record straight on this. I have followed the various threads on this, and a couple of people indicated there was now menadione in certain Evo fish varieties, as you noted. Some other members then started referring offhandedly to how Evo had changed its formula. This matters a lot on this Forum, to people like me who use Evo, so I appreciate efforts to prevent misunderstandings from spreading further.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry to stir up any confusion. Thanks doodlebug for checking and I think I'll be calling up natura to double check.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
littlesushi, if you're looking for the best way to feed your felines, you should be looking at an exclusively canned, homemade, or raw diet, any of which would be healthier for your babies throughout their lives than kibble. Since you started out this thread by acknowledging that dry food is bad, I don't understand why you're wanting to switch your kittens to it 100%. Or have I completely misunderstood?

Laurie

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant I would like to switch to canned and possibly raw 100% and take out dry food completely. We are currently leaving out dry food while we are away at work and probably will until they are a little bit older and can have just 2 meals a day.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
Your cats don't need to eat dry during the day. Leave out a good amount of wet for them when you go to work, feed them when you get home, then another meal at bedtime (helps them calm down and sleep).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your cats don't need to eat dry during the day. Leave out a good amount of wet for them when you go to work, feed them when you get home, then another meal at bedtime (helps them calm down and sleep).
Hi Marie, I have considered this but still feel a little uncomfortable about leaving wet food out for hours in this summer heat...I like the idea of the meal at bedtime though, I tried that last night and it seemed to do the trick to calm them down a little in the wee hours :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Marie, I have considered this but still feel a little uncomfortable about leaving wet food out for hours in this summer heat...I like the idea of the meal at bedtime though, I tried that last night and it seemed to do the trick to calm them down a little in the wee hours :)
I'm the same way.....
The wet food gets nasty after a couple of hours of being left out, and Yoshi won't eat it at that point. And in this humidity, I'm sure it gets nasty in much less time.

I feed his third meal between 10-11pm before we go to bed, but it does NOT calm my little maniac down! I wish it did.... :)
I also play with him before bed and yet he still has energy to get him through the night. I can't win.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK...I thought she was referring to the lawsuit settlement and assuming that they changed their ingredients. If this is about the menadione, then my understanding is that the only Natura product that contains menadione are the herring and salmon formulas because they are more than 25% fish. I just walked out into the store and checked the Innova, Cal Natural & EVO bags and none of them have any menadione in the ingredients except the herring and salmon.

I would suggest contacting Natura directly about this to confirm...
Just got off the phone with natura, and they said exactly what you said. The world is confusing with all sorts of different information out there on the Internet. Sorry to contribute to the confusion lol!

I guess I'm still a little cautious about the differences in information and while I may still stick with the evo, I just might try to add another food in the rotation.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feed his third meal between 10-11pm before we go to bed, but it does NOT calm my little maniac down! I wish it did.... :)
I also play with him before bed and yet he still has energy to get him through the night. I can't win.
Da bird seems to work wonders in wearing my kittens out! All the jumping and flips really give them a work out. That is unless they catch it. Then they don't want to let go lol.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
I'm glad Natura confirmed my information :). I'm sorry if I was a little short in my first post...I get a bit frustrated when information gets twisted into something it isn't. You know...the old game of "telephone". It happens all over the internet and that's how these rumors get started.

I get particularly frustrated with Susan Thixton who I consider an alarmist who is not above twisting facts, leaving out details and generally spinning information to make pet food companies look evil. Yes there are problems in the industry and consumers should be aware of them, but don't make it worse than it is by presenting muddied facts. Her website and book should be called the "Half Truths About Pet Food".

·
Registered
514 Posts
Please also note that I was not trying to get everyone's panties in a twist about the food either. However, I did want to mention what I had read so that those who feed Innova could do their own research to find out what the deal was.

Regarding Susan Thixton, I can see why you say that she is an alarmist. However, I also feel that is almost what we need these days. Also, what drives her passion for exposing the pet food industry is that she lost a pet to tainted food. When something like that happens to you, everyone handles it differently but I, too, feel the frustration, anger, and disgust about the big companies and what they are doing. If I could dedicate my life to the cause, I would.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
No problem Kim, the information should be shared. I just hope that people read what is available and then do their own investigation, not just accept it at face value. Susan Thixton is in a position of authority, people accept her opinions...no matter what her history, I would expect her to be even handed. Her post about menadione in Innova is not even close...she has the wrong food brand and doesn't state that it's just the fish flavors of EVO. She makes it sound like there's a plot to poinson our pets. Her point about why the FDA hasn't approved natural vitamin K is well taken, by why vilify Natura in the process? Probably it's because they're now P&G. There are other high end foods that have been using menadione all along (Tiki, Weruva, BFF, by Nature, Natural Balance, Evanger's, Chicken Soup, Avoderm and more...go to petfooddirect and search on menadione and K3).

Thixton makes some good points, but more often than not when I go investigate further she's left something out, makes incorrect statements etc. that I don't trust her.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts