Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's -23 actual degrees here this morning! They are predicting -30 overnight, and tomorrow a.m. they said we will probably break the record of -27 degrees! HOLY BUCKETS! :yikes I don't even want to know what the wind chill is.

The boys will have lots to eat in their stalls, and both are staying locked in nice and cozy. I just hope that others are making sure their outside animals are protected from this weather!

How's everyone else doing?

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Not quite that bad here...it was 4 when I got up this morning. Tonight we're supposed to go below 0 with windchills in the -20 range. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the single digits. That's about as bad as it ever gets here. I do remember one morning getting up to -20, but that was once in the 28 years that I've been here. Gotta love when the inside of your nose literally freezes when you inhale.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
We are having a heat wave compared to you. It is 8 degrees and they have closed several schools because of the cold. The sun is shining this morning but we are supposed to get lake effect snow starting this afternoon - 10 inches or so.
Isn't it extremely difficult to start your car when it gets that cold?

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Really...they closed schools for 8 degrees? They'd be going to school till the middle of July if they did that around here.

Yes, I was in Calgary several years ago and the hotel had outlets in the garage where you could plug you car on to keep the engine warm (and of course the cars were modified with heaters). Fortunately it wasn't that cold when we were there.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I woke up to a devastating -36°F this morning! On a bright note, though, it looks like we're supposed to get a break in the snow for about a week. THANK GOD!

School was not canceled today either. The kids just have to dress warm and nobody gets to go outside for recess when it's like this. The school district has already used up all of it's alloted "snow days" and will have to make one day up at the end of the year so far. When I was a kid we had a really treacherous winter where the governor actually pardoned a day or two that the school systems didn't have to make up.

Oh, and we could see temps of 30°F above by Saturday. That's almost a 70-degree difference between today and 2 days from now. You can bet your sweet [bleep}* that the clinics are gonna be crawling with people sick with colds and stuff after the temps swing from one extreme to another.

* edit (the pack we wear around the waist--a little purse in the US, but not in the UK!) Jeanie

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Its been -4°C here recently ... and I thought that was freezing ....

-36°F???!!!!!!!! Brrrrrrr ..........

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
You just don't go out if you can help it...and you learn how to dress for it when you do have to go out. Fashion goes out the window :lol:. I just keep an eye on the weather and manage around it. It's usually only for a few days that we have these extremes. Supposed to be back in the upper 20s on Sunday and most of next week. That's more typical for us in Jan.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I get cold easily so I would never go outside if it was in the negitives here. When it gets down to 20s its hard for me to go out for any reason at all. I would rather be under every blanket we own :)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
OT - but can I please point out that [Whoops! ] is a really rude word in the UK? As in really rude? (makes me wince even typing it!)

edit Jeanie (the pack we wear around the waist--a little purse in the US, but not in the UK!)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
melysion said:
OT - but can I please point out that [bleep] is a really rude word in the UK? As in really rude? (makes me wince even typing it!)
Sorry, I didn't realize that. It just means "butt" here.

edit for our British members... Jeanie

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
melysion said:
OT - but can I please point out that "bleep" is a really rude word in the UK? As in really rude? (makes me wince even typing it!)
:lol: :lol: Thats OK. I know it only means butt in the US (hence I'm not remotely offended). It refers to a private part of a womans anatomy here ....

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
melysion said:
2kids3cats4me said:
melysion said:
OT - but can I please point out that fanny is a really rude word in the UK? As in really rude? (makes me wince even typing it!)
:lol: :lol: Thats OK. I know it only means butt in the US (hence I'm not remotely offended). It refers to a private part of a womans anatomy here ....
Oh my. No wonder why you are offended!

It's 19 degrees here. Cold, cold for us. I am staying inside, thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the rescue minis we were fostering about 2 years ago, went to Texas when she was adopted, actually, 2 of the 8 did. I had long conversations with the man who adopted them, and one of the things he talked about, was carrying a pistol with him at all times, wherever he went, during rattle snake season. :yikes That alone makes me happy I live where I live! :lol: After time, you just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
OwnedByACat said:
...was carrying a pistol with him at all times, wherever he went, during rattle snake season. :yikes That alone makes me happy I live where I live! :lol: After time, you just learn to live with it.
That reminds me of a story I heard from a gal I graduated with. Here in ND we have nothing in the way of poisonous snakes or insects, just your garden-variety everyday annoyances. She married a guy stationed here at Minot AFB and he was later transferred to an AFB somewhere in Texas. She told me she reached into her oven mitt one time (hanging on a nail in her kitchen) and discovered a cochroach! That would have been enough for me to pack my bags and head up north again real quick! :eek: :lol: Cochroaches are on the minor end of things, too. I can't imagine what I'd do if I encountered a scorpion or something.

Her husband has since been transferred back to Minot and she's happy! :lol:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It's -15 F here at the moment. My car did NOT want to start when I went home from work last night (even though it was only down around -3 then.) I'll be interested to see if it starts today!

This is officially TOO COLD.

2kids3cats4me - Wow. I will add ND to the list of places that I think of when I say to myself "at least it's not as cold as..."

melysion - Should I not admit that we had a cat named "Fanny" when I was a small child?

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Bethany said:
melysion - Should I not admit that we had a cat named "Fanny" when I was a small child?
Oh my ....

In the old days, before perfectly decent words became a little less decent, :roll: Fanny was a girls name here (short for Frances I think).

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Bethany said:
2kids3cats4me - Wow. I will add ND to the list of places that I think of when I say to myself "at least it's not as cold as..."
I should be more careful when I discuss cold weather here. I don't want to give the impression it's like this every winter. This is way abnormal for us, too! Record-breaking cold in some parts of the state, in fact. We've had much-higher-than-average precipitation this winter as well. Normally this time of year the temps are about what you're experiencing right now, maybe a few degrees colder, and when the snow falls it's usually small enough amounts at a time with a few clear days in between each snowfall that the road crews don't have all the problems they've had this year keeping up with it.

My favorite saying around here regarding the cold is "It keeps the riff-raff out!" :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts