Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cat, Wash, for going on three years now and he is the best cat I could have ever asked for. I like to keep him as an indoor cat because he is not all that bright and tends to get himself in fights and stands in the middle of the road. My family just recently moved to a house a bit further down in the same neighborhood and he has all of the sudden become obsessed with going outside. This obsession is to the point where he lies in wait at the door and then runs out as soon as the door is open. He sits at the window sill and watched the outside. He meows at the door when he has to wait too long between escapes.

I wouldn't be very concerned about this except for the fact that two factors seem to be what triggered it. One, we moved, as I mentioned, and two his cohort recently gave birth. He had liked getting out before she was evener pregnant (from escaping), but ever since she gave birth it has become an obsession. Oh, and he is neutered and has been for as long as I have had him. I don't know if he is just lonely because the kittens are in my room and that is typically where he sleeps and spends most of the day, or because he can't see me very often. He is kind of moody like that, but usually he just sulks around the house and doesn't try to get out.

Recently, however, he has stopped running away completely and just sits on the porch or rolls in the flower garden. I still don't like him getting out, but it seems harmless right now. Oh, and he always comes back on his own. I have thought that perhaps our new house smells of another cat and it bothers him. Once he made it his own, the kittens came along and made it all kitten smelly. Perhaps he is just overwhelmed and is trying to establish his own territory. Sadly, he is becoming much less affectionate and moody. He doesn't like the kittens all that much. He would never hurt them, and Smokey (the mother and the same cat I talked about in my other post "Mother Cat"), would never let him anywhere near them. He just hisses and runs away when he gets near to them, so I am not worried.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Can you build or purchase an outdoor enclosure for him?
The next best thing would be to leash train him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, something of that caliber would be a little out of the budget, but it may be a good idea to take him on walks or something. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that he never gave outside a second glance before we moved and didn't get obsessed until the kittens came around. He had been outside prior to the move, so he knew what was out there but just didn't care.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really dont like the housecat thing, i think that they deserve to have a run around in the backyard once in a while, i let mine do it but i usually keep a watch on them and i always bring them inside to sleep at night, i'm happy with it they are happy with it so it works out well but this is just my opinon

Adam

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Adam, I live in a Dallas suburb. We are down the street from a very large park, a wild animal rescue center and we often have wild animals in our fenced backyard. Rattlesnakes, raccons, squirrels, ducks, geese are frequent visitors to our neighborhood. The guy who runs the rescue center has seen a couple of cougars in the open field behind the rescue center - I believe him as I've known him for 15 years and he doesn't lie.

My cats and dogs are indoor pets, for their safety and my piece of mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
okay i understand your concerns and where you's live are not safe for them, i should of also mentioned the location i live, I live in Victoria Australia there arnt any roads around cept a dirt one to get to the main highway, i've never seen any thing big or little in my yard that could injury/kill a cat, so i am sorry for my post i should of used common sense first.

Adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts