Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about gradual mixing for food change, but I was seeing if Toby would like a new food all by itself.

I mixed half and half, old food/new food. 5 hours later - Bam! All liquid, water poo. It was running into his hind legs. Fortunately I saw it so I was able to grab him and get him in the sink where we able to run water right on his paws and use a wash cloth.

Could a food change cause this drastic a reaction so quickly?

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
I change up my girls' food all the time. I hope you figure this out soon, poor little guy. :(

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poo back to normal after return to original (EVO) and less than 24 hours later. Good to see things don't bother him for long.

Though I will have to be more careful trying and mixing new foods, it's good to see that he's not too picky if I have to give him something different in a pinch.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, back watery again. I think I'll eliminate his dry EVO and give it more time.

He had his poop checked last week so there's nothing going on there, whic I guess is good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Poor Toby. I hope his poo goes back to normal soon... I know how much of a pain it is. Blah! Although your post kind of worries me; I started feeding Apollo Wellness and Wellness Core canned, and his poop finally is firm after 2 months. I had to go return his giant bag of Wellness Chicken & Rice dry, and grabbed a ton of canned while I was there. I went ahead and grabbed 3 cans of Evo, just to see how he'd take to it. I know all cats are different, but this makes me a little more cautious to go from brand to brand in wet foods.

Anyway, hope he's back to normal soon!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyway, hope he's back to normal soon!!
Fortunately he's seems normal in every other way. But we all know that cats can compensate when they are not feeling well until it reaches the point that that it overtakes them. But like I said there's no other signs of problems.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
He had his poop checked last week so there's nothing going on there, whic I guess is good.
Unfortunately a negative stool sample doesn't really mean much...false negatives are quite common for several parasites. I believe I mentioned the possibility of T. Foetus to you a few weeks ago...the on again off again nature of what you've been describing it consistent with T Foetus. It requires a special test. T Foetus is also fairly common in Bengal catteries.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YEA! I think I (hopefully) found the problem.

I had picked up the wrong food. I was giving him EVO Cat formula for the past 2 months (yes, my vet said that cat formula is fine), and I accidentally gave him EVO Cat and Kitten formula, which is 60% protein as opposed the the 50% protein in the Cat formula.

My vet had mentioned that while cats need high protein, sometime too much can cause diarrhea.

I should know in a couple days

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'Nother update. I found he ate some low carb, high fiber tortilla wrap form a package. Might that have contributed?

I have a dang dog-cat!

·
Banned
602 Posts
'Nother update. I found he ate some low carb, high fiber tortilla wrap form a package. Might that have contributed?

I have a dang dog-cat!
Yes, it definately could have contributed. The higher protein could have too. Some cats just cant handle it. Its to rich.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your help. It seems that 24 hours after his last watery stool, and 24 hours after putting him back on his right food, his poop was well formed again.

Maybe this is an indication that I have a healthy boy whose body handles adversity well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts