Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Abbyka, just joined and am completely desperate. Two days ago I found a kitten while I was walking to the gym, like I usually do. It started following me and I was worried it'd be hit by a car so I brought it home thinking we could either bring it to the humane society down the street or keep it. I haven't had a cat in years and barely remember how to take care of one, plus my mom did all the work when I had my last cat! Well the roles have been switched. I'm mom now. When I brought the kitten home my family fell in love with it so we're keeping it.

Unfortunately my kids won't leave it alone. So this morning I brought it into my bedroom and locked the door so the kids wouldn't bother it while I got a few more hours of sleep(my kids have been waking up at 6 am since the cat came and I can't function on that little amount of sleep!). The cat promptly pooped and peed in the bed, despite me bringing the litter box in with me and setting it by the door. It did this RIGHT next to me, heck right on my hand(it was under the blanket). We love this cat, but I need help. I can't keep waking up at the crack of dawn everyday to referee until my kids get over the initial excitement of a cat and the kitten isn't allowed into my bedroom anymore. I know once they mark a spot it's pretty much hopeless! HELP! I'm literally in tears from exhaustion right now!

·
Banned
42 Posts
Every time the cat is about to go, gently place him in the litter box. As for your kids, have them visit the cat (quietly, as to not spook him) so he can get used to them. Ask your vet to have him neutered, and ask him what to do about the problems. Any medical questions you have, ask a vet. Also, if a neighbor of yours has raised a kitten, it may help to ask them. To avoid being waken up at dawn, feed your cat after noon.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Whenever I have had a kitten I have closed it in a small and safe place, like an extra bathroom or closet, with a litterbox and food dishes for a couple of days to weeks, until I am sure it is going in the litterbox. Bring it out for play and cuddle time and go in and give it attention, but when you can't watch the kitten, put it back in its space. Then gradually give it more and more room, like a bedroom, then the whole house. Give the kids a couple of weeks too, the novelty will wear off and they will get over wanting to spend every waking minute with the kitten.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hi Abbyka and welcome! The peeing/pooping could stem from various reasons. It's tough to say which from the info you've provided, but some possibilities are:

a) Medical reasons. If you haven't already, you should take the kitten for a vet check-up (regardless of the inappropriate litterbox behavior).

b) Whether the kitten is used to using a litterbox. You didn't mention how old (approx) the kitten is. Are we talking about a very young kitten or one perhaps 5 or 6 months? If this is just a baby, the incident might just have been an accident and/or the kitten might not be used to using a litterbox.

c) Stress, from being in new surroundings and from constant attention from the children (especially if the kitten is not used to children). You also didn't mention how old your kids are. If they're just a few years old, then you'll need to keep the kitten separated from them unless you're around to supervise. If they're around 5 or 6, or older, then you need to teach them and explain to them how to behave around kittens.

As for your comment, "once they mark a spot, it's pretty much hopeless"...that's not true, although you will need to clean the area to remove all trace of the smell. You should get a product called Nature's Miracle (available in pet stores) which will help to remove the smell.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
thanks for rescueing this kitten. I hope you do not take it to a Humane Society. Majority of Humane Society shelters are kill shelter. If you ever need to take a kitten or stray cat to a shelter make sure it is a no kill shelter.

How old is your kitten? Susan has some good points to help you.

Were glad you are here to get help and answers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how old she is. My husband seems to think she's 3 or 4 months old, but I'm not sure. Plus we're both not sure on her sex. He seems to think she's a girl but I think she's a boy.

She pooped/peed again this morning on my DDR dance mat that was under the TV. We're thinking she might be doing it because she can't see the litter box in the bathroom because there's no windows in there. So we picked up a night light. If this doesn't work we thought a second litter box might help even though we only live in a three bedroom apartment.

Other than this issue she's actually a very good kitten. She loves attention and is constantly purring. When we gave her a flea bath, she didn't make a fuss at all, which shocked me completely. She likes sitting on shoulders when someone is at the computer, and she doesn't try to get into the hamster's cage(yet). So if I could figure this out and fix it she'd be the perfect cat. Heck, I really don't think she minds the kids so much. I'm just worried because my kids can get over excited(my daughter is 5 and my son is 7, but he has learning disabilities so he acts much younger sometimes).

We haven't had a chance to take her to a vet yet. This is only day three we've had her and we've been so darn busy since we got her that we haven't had time to discuss making an appointment. My daughter's birthday was the day after I found her, so I've been busy with the planning and the actual party, then she had a dentist appointment today. Hubby has off from work on saturday, so I'm sure that will be a good day to corner him and start discussing what we can afford and see if we can find a vet who costs about that much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts