Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this before, but now it is certain. I am going to be taking in Julia, my friends cat. What is the easiest way to introduce two cats to each other?

Today I'm going to bring some Moby items over to Julia's apartment. She'll be there for about another month, but I'm gonna try to get them used to the other cat's smell first of all. Julia knows and is used to me, but I'm worried about the cats with each other.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Since you have access to Julia, bring home a blanket or towel that she sleeps on and do this as soon as you can. I would imagine the longer Moby is familiar with her scent before she moves in, the less of a shock it may be. I would also give you a good indication to see how he reacts to something with her scent on it.

I've been seeking advice myself because I want to get Barnaby a companion and I want to do it the best way.

Of course you know we'll all be looking forward to pictures of the two of them together.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That is such good news - both Barnaby and Moby will be happier with playmates. You will have to take it step by step and I am sure it will work out perfectly - in time, of course. Try the vanilla drop tip because it worked wonders for me when I introduced Cheerio to Frosty
Best of luck :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is just the advice I need. Im getting a 4 month old female calico persian in about a week to go with Highness (my siamese) and I was wondering how to do it..

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have introduced a new cat in our home last saturday. This is how we did it (they are now the best of pals, so we must have done something right hehehe)

First we put the new cat (Aayla), still in the transporter, in the living room. That was Scotty's first intro to her. We immediately feeded them. Then we locked Scotty in the bedroom with the rest of the food, and let Aayla out of the transporter. After she had sniffled the whole house and our dog, we let Scotty out again.

Oh and while Scotty was locked in, we got a moist towel, and rubbed it over both their coats, so they would get each others scent.

The first couple of days it was a bit growling and hissing, but they did not fight. Yesterday they played for the first time :)

So basically just let the cats get introduced all by themselves. That gives them the least fuss. You could also use feliway or something like that to calm them down the first days.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This situation is sorta unique in a way. I have known Julia for about 4 years probably. She was my friends cat, and I visited offen. And then I moved in with her and her owner for a couple years, and I've been gone for a couple now. But when I visit she still recognizes me.

Me and her get along very well. Her owner has actually said that - for some reason - she gets along with me better than most people. So I'm not a stranger.

I've taken a blanket Moby sleeps on to Julias and vice versa. Moby seemed not to care of the new smell, but in the past Julia has not liked new cat smells in the house. I didn't get to see her react to the new blanket (she was sunning on the deck), but when I moved in with them a few years ago I had brought some mice for her which I had bought for my previous landlord's cat. Although she grew to love it, for the first week she would hiss at it.

It wouldn't matter as much to aclimatize Julia to me...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Read the little big cat, cat to cat introduction.

I think it would probably be best to keep Julia in the bedroom for a bit - since she would be used to my smell anyway. Then introduce each of the cats using the wet food.

Sounds like a long process! I'm unsure about both cats, although I know Julia has lived with a Siamese in the past. Moby had been briefly been introduced to other cats, but harshly. Apparently, he had been thrown into a house with 8 cats, and he freaked out (scared). BUT - he fared well with my parents dog, and cats climbing the trees out my window to eye level don't faze him (no meows, just watches relaxed).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It may or may not be a long process. Some cats get through it in a few days, others take longer, a couple of weeks or more. Let their behavior dictate the pace. They'll let you know when they're ready to move to the next step!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Richo, the drop of vanilla on the back of the neck is to give them the same scent. I hope it's helpful to both of you.

Bean, I'm sure you and Julia will get along well. Make sure every encounter between Moby and Julia is a very pleasant one with special food even if one cat is on either side of a door. Be sure to keep us updated!

We want pictures of both new cats, too. Please. :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Just a drop of vanilla extract should be fine. Once they have the same odor, much of the job is done-not all, but scent is extremely important. I would just use the liquid we keep for baking. :)

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Just a drop of vanilla extract should be fine. Once they have the same odor, much of the job is done-not all, but scent is extremely important. I would just use the liquid we keep for baking. :)

Someone, maybe kitkat, said she'd rather have little kitties running around smelling like cookies than cat fights! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts