Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We brought home the new kitten last night. She is so cute but our 10 month old is not so much lol. When we first brought her in we put the kitten and carrier on the floor. Once georgia saw it was a newbie she hissed at it and then continued to growl. We took the kitten in her safe room and closed the door. Let her out played with her and let her settle in. The kitten is not afraid of us at all and is purring non stop and cries when we are not in there with her! (It was a restless night listening to it :() At this point georgia was only smelling under the door and there was no hissing or growling like I read could happen. So we let her in and she just sat there and hissed a bit and growled (more so when i am in the room then when my fiance is but I am Georgia's number 1 human)

Today we are now leaving the door open and georgia comes and growls and hisses for a bit then will leave look out the window or eat then she comes back and growls. I have noticed as long as the kitten doesnt make direct eye contact and as long as I am not in the room with the kitten this is all that happens. If I am in the room she is a little bit more upfront and gets in the kitten's face and almost herds her a bit but still from afar. However, as long as I am not in the room se is beginning to do other things while in the kitten' room, such as looking out the window meowing at both of us in disgust, etc. The one time the kitten tried to leave the room however georgia forced her back in the room growling and hissing and got closer until the kitten retreated and then followed right behind her. At that point we closed the door and gave them a cool off period and now it is back to some growling and hissing and what it originally was. What else should we do? I tried playing with georgia and she refuses to play while in the rooom with the kitten... Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
You need to proceed slowly and introduce the one sense at a time. The more you try to rush things, the longer the introduction will typically take. Also, if Georgia is not feeling well, then I'd hold of on any actual meetings until she's better, as suggested by my4kitties.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. We have slowed things down significantly and its going much better. As of this afternoon, they can both eat about 8 inches away from each other through the baby gate. and georgia has just been sitting and watching her play with some growling but hardly any. If she does hiss its when she first sees her during that specific intro session and then the hissing is over. We started friday night because as of friday afternoon georgia was already 100% feeling better and she was eating normally playing normally and being herself. The vet suggested that we only feed them together and that it is the only time georgia gets food is when its by the door and as the introductions proceed she only gets food at that step. ie right now the only time georgia has access to food is when the baby gate is up and the door is open. I am now feeding georgia 4 meals/ day along with the kitten instead of 2 meals and leaving out dry. The only time we seem to have a set back is if I am involved with the kitten in georgias view. So i am only visiting and socializing with the kitten when the door is closed. My fiance can do whatever with the kitten and georgia doesnt mind anymore. When it gets to the point that we let the kitten come out of the room what should we look for to know that its going well? I think tonight we are going to start switching living spaces for 30min at a time and put georgia on etta's side of the baby gate and eta on georgias side and see how it goes. I think we are at least a week away from them being without the baby gate though.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Over the next little while (perhaps a few days...perhaps a few weeks) you should see the hissing and growling subside. Thereafter, if/when the door is open and the gate is up, you should start to see the cats express an interest in each other...sniffing each other, trying to play footsies under the gate, etc. At that point, you can leave the baby gate open at the next feeding and see how things go.

You needn't do anything special, other than keep an eye on them, although if you want you could play a quiet game (nothing too rambunctious, so as to avoid "collisions"). I would also keep something on hand to distract one or the other cat, if the need arises. I used to keep some treats on hand to toss, along with a laser light that I could shine to distract them. How long you leave them together will depend on how well they react to being together. You can't really tell in advance and will need to play it by ear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts