Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of advice on introducing two cats to each other. I have a female tabby called Rosa who is around 8 years old. Although she used to have a younger companion, the other cat moved out about 3 years ago, so Rosa and I have been more or less alone since that time.

The problem I have now is that I am about to move overseas in around 3 weeks and can't take the cat with me for a number of reasons. A friend of mine who has a male cat around of 3.5 years has offered to take Rosa on the condition that the two demonstrably get on before I leave.

We tried the first introductions last weekend, making the stupid mistake of just letting Rosa loose in the new flat (she predictably hid in a cupboard and just hissed at my friend/the other cat). We have now adopted a different technique of confining Rosa to one room and leaving the other cat free in the rest of the flat. She seems to have got used to her room and is behaving fairly normally (eating, using the toilet, relaxing on furniture etc.) but we have been trying to get them used to each other by feeding them on opposite sides of the door. Leo (the male cat) seems highly curious and wants to be let in to meet the visitor, but Rosa growls and hisses and is generally quite unfriendly. So the problem is not the new surroundings, nor even the smell of the other cat, which is everywhere in the flat (Rosa doesn't at all seem to mind blankets etc. he has slept on), the issue is his physical presence.

The question is whether it is at all possible for a cat of her age, who is used to being solitary, to adjust to having feline company again or whether it would be better to find a cat-free environment to place her. Maybe someone out there has had a similar experience.

I would be very grateful for any tips you could offer.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Kitty was 10 when I introduced her to Thomas. It's taken a while but following proper introduction techniques we finally all live together. (Not in peace mind you, but we manage). It can definately take a long time before two cats may get along together, but they usually can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Nick,

It sounds like your doing things the right way. You just need to give it time. Don't let the cats see each other for a while. Do the feeding thing on either side of the door as you have been doing. After a while, start opening the door slightly (with a rubber stopper). Just enough so they can see each other (2 inches or so). Reward each cat when they interact so they see it as a positive experience.

Im no expert on this either. Im going through the same thing myself. All the wonderful people on this forum have given some great advise. Here's my thread. Maybe some of the replys will help you:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7315

I also noticed another similiar thread here:

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6981

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice. I've done a little more research elsewhere and it really does seem that time and patience are the essence. I'm going round to visit tomorrow so will see if the hissing through the door has abated at all. I'll keep you informed of progress.

Cheers,

Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts