Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 years, we (Our household of one Mum and 2 kids) have had 2 cats, both brothers, from their kitten stage, let's call them 'cat A' and 'cat B'. On boxing day '08, cat B had to be put down due to total kidney failure, and we couldn't afford to keep up with these expensive short term procedures. Cat A is now alone, and spends a few hours a day between me going to college, and someone being at home, on his own. He often cries out for cat B, and tries to 'play', if it can be called that, on his own. (Previously they would chase eachother around the house every morning and evening, regular as clockwork).

I wanted to know if anybody has any experience or theoretical knowledge on introducing a new cat or kitten to cat A. Cat A has taken the new role of 'cat of the house', and I wanted to know if they would fight or worse, depending on how young the hypothetical new kitten was.

I really think cat A could use a new companion as he seems a lot less happy and excitable than before. But I don't want to get a new cat then end up having to take it back because they don't get along. Also, would cat A show any 'paternal instincts' to a new kitten if he/she was young?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I think this is a pretty hard question to answer as all cats have different personalities & will react differently to things.. I think if you do get another kitten though, try to get one that has an outgoing personality & the younger the kitten, the more chance they'll get used to each other.

I'd definately take the introduction process slowly & what I found to be quite helpful when introducing an adult foster cat to my other adult cat was to have a large dog crate set up in the room which my cat spends his time & the 'new' cat in the crate with food/litter/toys so they can get used to being around each other alot & can sniff & see each other.

If it were me, I would try to introduce a young kitten but as they say, there's just some cats that won't get along with others and the littermate bond is usually the strongest. I guess you just have to do what you feel is best for your cat & your family and always be prepared for the cats possibly not getting along.

I fostered an adult cat for a few months & him & my cat were best friends, playing and tumbling together like little kittens so after he went, I got a kitten, expecting my cat to take to her straight away & I thought he'd be happy to have a new friend. They are getting along just fine now but for the first few days, my cat wasn't happy about the new arrival, he looked sad & stopped sleeping on my bed but he's back to his normal self now and him & the kitten have the occasional play but it's the best seeing them sleeping all curled up together =)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts