Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a six year old Birman boy named Malachi, and when his companion of five years died of FIP in April, he became very needy and demanding of attention, crying alot. A few days ago, I bought an 18 month old Birman boy (Raphael) to be his new friend. The first night, I did not introduce them, but allowed the new kitty to get accustomed to his new digs. I have Raphael set up downstairs in our sun parlor with everything that he needs, whereas Malachi rules the second floor.
This evening, I brought the new kitty in his carrier and placed it in the living room where the resident boy lives and rules. This is what happened: the new kitty hissed first and that provoked the resident boy to growl and utter sounds I have never heard come from a cat before. It sounded like a low howling noise, almost as if he was talking and telling the newcomer off. The kitty also made these sounds, but not as loud or forceful. Is this normal behavior for a first meeting? Malachi has always been the alpha male, even when his brother was alive. So I expect he will be so again. Both boys are very, very sweet and affectionate cats with people and I was a little surprised by the level of aggression they displayed toward each other. Suddenly these two love bugs had turned into two lions! What do you suggest that I do next? Thanks for the help. I sure hope these two can get along eventually.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
You need to SLOW THE INTRODUCTION PROCESS DOWN. Waaaaay down.

Seperate rooms with doors closed between and the slow awareness of the scent of a new cat. Swap scents between them by exchanging bedding and allowing them to smell the other cat on your clothing and hands. When they begin to show interest in what is on the other side of the door, crack it open with your hand in the jamb and let them do some nose-sniffs, closing the door if there is aggressive hissing and swatting. A general hiss, is okay, as long as they are still interested in sniffing. When there are no more hisses (about a week or so?) then I'll hold the door open a bit wider so they can sniff and have eye-to-eye contact. After that goes well, you can confine resident cat and offer the new cat the opportunity to explore the house and spread their scent. When you have determined that they are mostly bored with these 'visits' you can then decide if it is time to let them have full access to each other.

The intro-process can go quickly or slowly, it depends on the CATS and we should not try to rush these things or we run the risk of creating permanant problems for the future of these cats getting along.

Check out the "introduction thread" Hoof Maiden did about intro-ing her kitten Jonah to her resident adult cats.
Best of luck!
heidi =^..^=

·
Super Moderator
26,360 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts