Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first message to this forum and I am afraid to say that it is also a plea for help.
Back in May this year, I adopted a female feral kitten (Kora) of about 4-5 weeks old. The mother had apparrantly abandoned her with her 2 siblings.
I already have a 10 year old female tabby (Lucy) and I have tried introduction by exchanging scents, keeping Kora in a separate room, using Feliway products to no avail. Lucy seems to be afraid of her now and for the past 3 weeks only come home to eat and then is desperate to escape out the cat flap! She stays out all night now whereas she used to sleep at the end of our bed or downstairs on the sofa. Kora is in the spare room at night in case Lucy should venture in.
Upon face to face introduction there was much growling and hissing from Lucy and on another occasion Lucy plucked up courage to chase her. Kora seems totally unafraid!
However, on the positive side, Lucy woke me up at around 2.45am with a mouse, ate some food and then stayed around long enough to clean herself.
Sorry this message is so long but we're concerned that Lucy might eventually leave us because of the kitten...... :(
All advice gratefully accepted!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hello Maria,
here is a complete set of rules to follow when introducing cats from Dr. Jean's site :

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

One thing I should add is to put a drop of vanilla (the kind we use for cookies) on the back of both of your kitties necks. Its role is to make them smell pleasantly alike which is vital in their accepting first and the liking of each other
Follow the instructions from Dr. Jean's site and with lots of patience you will achieve your goal of having them live together happilly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You!

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly try that when Lucy next ventures in. I will let you know how things progress.
Thanks again from the UK! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts