Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just joined and hope to learn alot about cats as well as help others. 4 days ago I brought home a stray female kitten, about 6 months old. I already have two 3 year old male cats (both neutered). I know for the first couple days things are tense around the house as the cats react to a new smell. But now my cats are really becoming accustomed to my new little girl and wanting to interact with her like they do each other but she won't let them. They will come up wanting to clean her, sniff her, socialize etc but since she was a stray and probably not used to that sort of friendly cat-cat relationship she will just hiss and moan at them causing them to get upset. Should I give it more time? Should I punish her for her behavior? Or is there something else I can do to help close the gap? I really just want to see them all happy together, sleeping in a big pile. My cats always act different when a new one arrives and it makes me miss their old personality and long for things to get back to normal but with the way she is responding I am afraid things never will. Thanks in advance for any help you could share.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A slower introduction (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions) would probably be best. She may also be in heat, which may make her a tad irritable!

You should probably have her checked for contagious diseases (leukemia, feline AIDS, etc.), vaccinated, dewormed, and checked for a spay scar (if none, get her spayed!) before allowing her to contact your cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dr. Jean,

I appreciate the advice and made an appointment with my vet for tomorrow. I know introducing cats so sudden and without a proper vet visit is ill-advised but the situation was complicated and unlike my other two cats, who were able to meet the proper way, things with Fiona (the newbie) were strained. Things seem better among the 3 cats but I might consider re-introducing them after her check-up though I am just worried about putting them through so much stress again since things have already taken course. My two older cats are sniffing her and my oldest cat runs up to her almost cooing and her reaction is to hiss and I know this must puzzle him. I just don't want any of them to be unhappy because of this and wonder if it was more a problem on her part due to being a stray and what sort of things I could do to help reinforce good behavior and overcome fear of other cats. Because I really think she hisses more out of fear than anger. Oh and believe me I learned my lesson, I pretty sure she has ear mites so now not only will I have to treat her but also my two healthy cats out as a precaution. More work for me but I really should've known better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Squilg, I think it is wonderful that you are caring enough to bring a stray into your home along with your other cats. I have a 16 year old Tabby cat and I am trying to trap/capture 2 feral kittens in my neighborhood. I take care of the feral cats/kittens in my neighborhood . I have been doing this for about 2 years now when I first noticed a very skinny Tortoise Shell that was eating the left over bread that I put out for the birds. I am now taking care of 6 cats/kittens. I hope that our 16 year old will get along with them when I get them. I know it will take time and some work but it will be well worth it all with all the love and rewards you get back from them. I hope everything works out for you and your new baby and your other cats too. You will be well rewarded for your kindness. Keep us posted on your progress. Good Luck! :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts