Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Boodi, Siamese mix, 4yrs
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there’s hundredof similar threads but I haven’t really found anything that’s helpful for my situation.
I adopted a Siamese mix about a month ago, she’s 4 years old and the love of my life. She’s also very shy, hides from new people etc. she’s pretty playful when she’s comfortable.

I would eventually like to adopt a second cat but I’m not sure how to go about it. I know she has a history with cats, I think they were from her same litter though. Since she’s really shy, would it be better to get a cat younger than her, her same age, or older? Same gender or opposite? The cat she was with previously was her sister but she got adopted out before I could snag them both.
Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Siamese is a little bit territorial, so be prepared for she to be little aggressive at first, but since she's a mix, she may not be. Adult cats are better with kittens, when introducing them. I have had very little trouble when I have brought a kitten to the house. I'd say a male, but a female would be fine. Kittens can be too playful, and energetic for a older cats, so a cat closer to her age may be better. Here's a link to how to introduce a cat to a kitten: 6 Tips for Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat | 1st Pet Veterinary Centers, AZ Here's a link to how to introduce a cat to another cat: Introducing Cats to Cats - American Humane Keep us updated!

·
Registered
Hank (Birman)
14 Posts
If you do decide to get another cat definitely make sure you get another cat that likes cats. Make sure they are in charge of the relationship and that your not forcing it. I recommend putting 1 cat on one side of a closed door and the other cat on the other side. Then feed them at the door so they can get used to the scent of each other. But overall I would definitely recommend a kitten over any other age group. They can grow a closer bond together! Hope this helps!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts