Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read plenty of threads on here about introductions and plenty of websites offering advice!

I will be introducing Enzo to Seaver (a 60lbs Shar Pei/Bozer mix) next month.

This post isn't to ask how to do it, as I've said... I've read plenty of threads with a variety of options! This post is to ask your opinion on one of the options...

What is your opinion on giving Seaver a light sedative and letting Enzo get to know him while he's sleeping? I was given this advice by a friend who did this, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do it to both of them, taking turns. hmm.

Seaver is a 60lbs wild child... very goofy, very silly, very playful and full of energy... and I'm not sure I could keep him calm enough for them to get to know eachother, even after a couple of days keeping them separated, etc! Who truly knows though... maybe he'll surprise me.

So, what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I wouldn't if it were me. It would let Enzo near Seaver and be safer for him for that moment, but Seaver is the one you have to worry about because of his size, so it won't solve the problem of Seaver learning to be gentle with Enzo. I would follow cat-to-dog introduction advice from the experts, taking it slow.

Plus, I simply wouldn't knock out one or both of my pets for that reason.

P.S. Enzo is GORGEOUS!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't if it were me. It would let Enzo near Seaver and be safer for him for that moment, but Seaver is the one you have to worry about because of his size, so it won't solve the problem of Seaver learning to be gentle with Enzo. I would follow cat-to-dog introduction advice from the experts, taking it slow.

Plus, I simply wouldn't knock out one or both of my pets for that reason.

P.S. Enzo is GORGEOUS!!!!!
Thank you for your advice! Yeah, although it worked for my friend... the more and more I think about it and talk to people about it, the more I don't feel comfortable with the idea.

I'll definitely take things slow... Seaver has been around cats before and is fine, Enzo has never seen a dog. So, we'll see! I might be on here begging for help next month :shock:

Thank you - don't tell him that, he has a big enough ego :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have two labs and a mix and to introduce them I never put them under. First I made sure my dogs were well exercised. Plus my dogs are well trained and a strong leave it works. I would put my kittens on the couch and have my dogs on the floor. They would sniff each other and then if one dog got ruff I said leave it. Then I put the kittens on the floor and the dogs were okay with him/her but still watched closely. now my 4 cats and 3 dogs get along fine.

I dont have this dog anymore but he was only 5 months in this pic and after training and introducing them as I did this was the outcome. The cat in the picture is Thunder and he usually NEVER gets that close to a dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two labs and a mix and to introduce them I never put them under. First I made sure my dogs were well exercised. Plus my dogs are well trained and a strong leave it works. I would put my kittens on the couch and have my dogs on the floor. They would sniff each other and then if one dog got ruff I said leave it. Then I put the kittens on the floor and the dogs were okay with him/her but still watched closely. now my 4 cats and 3 dogs get along fine.

I dont have this dog anymore but he was only 5 months in this pic and after training and introducing them as I did this was the outcome. The cat in the picture is Thunder and he usually NEVER gets that close to a dog.
Thanks for your advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.