Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been discussed many times in this forum, but for you experts out there I'm asking the question again. We just adopted a new cat. He is a Bombay/Manx named Bugsy. He is 6 years old and his previous owner passed away. He is an absolute sweetheart and I have no doubt that he will get along with our current 3 year-old Tabby, Andy.

We adopted Andy over 2 years ago. His owner also passed away. We already had Toby. We never really "introduced" Andy but they got along, used the same litter box and played occasionally. We had to euthanize our precious Toby several weeks ago due to extremely severe asthma. His breathing became very labored, he was no longer eating and was hiding in cubbies. We were on the fence about adopting another cat but figured Andy would like another companion and we could potentially be saving an adult cat's life.

Bugsy was dropped off on Thursday. We have kept him in my home office with a litter box, food and toys. If he's not loving us to us he is playing with his toys or laying on the couch. Andy has had the run of the house. Both their scents how been intermingled and I've even fed Andy treats right outside the door where Bugsy is staying to make sure he associates his scent with a positive experience. Andy has shown no signs of distress. He follows me around like always and sleeps with us on the couch when we watch TV.

We REALLY want them to be best buds so we haven't taken any chances. Some experts say it may take weeks for cats to get to know each other. But tonight we were spending time with Bugsy and Andy was crying right outside the door. Is it time to crack the door open and let them get to know each other?

Thanks for any advice. And BTW, we have never had a Bombay cat and they are amazing. Bugsy was rubbing against us the first day we met him and is an absolute love bug. We are lucky to have found him. (Pic attached.)

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi d. If you type "Cat Introduction" in the search bar at the top, you'll get lots of threads that may offer some helpful suggestions.

Not an expert here, but the time-line for cat intros is fluid depending on the cats personalities, and based on their reactions so far, I'd say crack the door open a bit and see how they do. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We let Bugsy out of the room on Day 6. It is Day 7 and they get along fine per the attached. We have Andy on one lap and Bugsy on the other at TV time. They sometimes even chase each other and it is reciprocal. We couldn't be happier that we allowed time for them to be introduced.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
We let Bugsy out of the room on Day 6. It is Day 7 and they get along fine per the attached. We have Andy on one lap and Bugsy on the other at TV time. They sometimes even chase each other and it is reciprocal. We couldn't be happier that we allowed time for them to be introduced.
Hurrayyyy! So nice to hear that Bugsy and Andy are getting along so well, and great job following Cat Intro 101. I imagine your Toby is very proud of you right now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts